Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hotel Point Loma(San Diego)
Dolphin Motel(San Diego)
3,917 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomawalking pathjunior suitewater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldthe san diego areacoffee maker
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We traveled with the whole family to the Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel and had 3 suites. All were nice. The rooms were clean. The views from all of our rooms were beautiful. We were on the harbor and the sunsets were amazing. The pool was nice, but crowded in June and July. The restaurant was pretty good- we got food from there and ate it in our suite. It was about a 10-15 minute drive to Sea World, but it was not a bad drive. One of the evenings we were able to hear the Jazz concert from a neighboring hotel.

We did not eat breakfast in the restaurant. We picked up coffee and muffins from the little muffin place on the right side of the road as you are driving in to the hotel. They were delicious.

When we return to San Diego the Best Western Plus Island Palms will be on our short list of hotels to stay at. It was nice to have a bit of an island vibe while on the mainland.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
wjorman, Manager at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for the review! June is a great month to be here, especially with Humphrey’s concerts just down the way. We do hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 9 nights and absolutely loved it. Everything was close by with a car didn't see transportation so not sure if there's any close by for people staying without a car. The rooms were really nice and housekeeping done a great job everyday.
There were a few things that could be changed to make the stay better. First of all the fridge in the room was so tiny you couldn't fit anything in them, secondly the breakfast was quite expensive for a family to eat everyday and the glasses of fruit juice were so tiny and for the price was a rip off. Your better off eating somewhere else. Lastly it was really annoying you could hear foot steps ect of people in the room onto so they would wake you up if it was early.
Other than that I couldn't fault them. We had an incident with people next door screaming at my kids playing and laughing at 8:30pm and security dealt with it promptly as my kids got scared.
Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for the feedback about your stay. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I wish we would have known that you needed a larger refrigerator so we could have given you some options. A 9-night stay sounds like plenty of time to relax and enjoy all that San Diego has to offer.

In case you visit us again and don’t have a car, there is an easy-to-use bus route on Shelter Island drive and Anchorage lane (about a 10-minute walk from the hotel). It’s only a 15-minute bus ride to the Old Town Transit Center where you can catch various bus, trolley and train routes to many of San Diego’s attractions.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location is perfect, right by the Marina overlooking the water. Upon checkin, the staff was friendly, the grounds were tidy and the rooms are updated and clean. Room service was prompt, the attendant was friendly and the food was pretty delish. The only reason I did not give the hotel 5 stars is because the fitness center is slightly outdated. The weight machines were a bit under oiled and stuck from time to time. The tv on the bike machine didn't work, but that's ok. The main tv was fully operational. Other than that, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a business stay or vacation with the family.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate the review and you should know that we’re taking your comments to heart. We have recently purchased new fitness equipment and we’ll be moving into a larger area. Hopefully you’ll come back and stay with us when this is complete.

Thanks again!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Service was great the housekeeping staff was friendly and right there if you needed anythng,, room was ok nothing special but clean for sure. location was great not to far from the beaches but not crowded or noisy.. pool and spa clean and relaxing.

Room Tip: ask for the newer rooms when booking a room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for the review and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My vacations are normally very active, with minimal time actually spent at a hotel, and certainly not much time in the room. This trip I wanted something different, and this hotel fit my needs perfectly. I just spent 4 nights there doing not much at all beyond reading and pool lounging, and I would do it again. For that purpose this place was near perfect. The hotel likes to promote the island as a little slice of Hawaii. I can't vouch for that, but I did find it very relaxing. The property has a nice, mellow, and friendly vibe to it. With rare exceptions (the restaurant servers), the staff is unfailingly polite, friendly, and helpful. Even maintenance guys would start up a conversation.

My room was a bit small, but clean and modern. Actually, the room wouldn't seem so small but it had (to me) too much furniture - 3 stuffed chairs & a office chair! If you are into TV the room has a large flat screen. A couple of nights I had neighbors but I never heard them. My only real complaint about the room was a lack of curtains. The blinds do not block light well - I think it would be very bright at 5:30am in the rooms during the summer.

A number of bikes are available for guests for free. Be warned though - several of them are in poor repair. The first one I tried to check out had handlebars that were so loose it was dangerous - and it didn't get fixed even after I mentioned it to the staff. But riding around the island and nearby parts of SD was a joy.

Two pools and two hot tubs are nice. But one hot tub (at Casa del Mar) was barely warm the night I tried it. Hotel is great about stocking towels at the pool in the mornings, but without fail, every afternoon they were used, and not replaced.

Restaurant is adequate. The food is just mediocre. Not bad, but I wouldn't take a date there. Both bartenders I saw were very friendly, as were the hostesses. The two servers I had (one lunch & one breakfast) were the worst employees I interacted with there. Not efficient at their jobs, and not very friendly either.

Fitness center is frustratingly small for such a large property. Elliptical and stationary bike are in *extremely* poor repair. Room should be larger and better equipped. Only one guest computer is available, and the system kicks you off after 15 minutes. If you want better internet access, bring your own computer.

Be warned - there is a lot of air traffic noise at this property. Jets from the airport, and jets & helicopters from the military base just across the bay mean it can get loud. It's not the hotel's fault, but it can be a distraction.

Room Tip: Rooms on backside (facing marina) have a better view and are quieter, but probably cost more.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that most of our staff did a good job taking care of you.

We do daily maintenance on the bicycles but your comments show us that we should have the staff ride the bikes to see exactly what the guest experiences. Your experience in the fitness should be addressed as we have ordered additional fitness equipment and are relocating to a larger area soon.

I’m very sorry for your experience in the restaurant and have shared these comments during an employee meeting and believe the behavior has been corrected.

Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you soon.