Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Fairmont.com
$255
$223
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$157
$126
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$289
$260
$214
$151
  • Breakfast included
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$187
$178
  • Beachfront
$293
$179
  • Restaurant
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$323
$199
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$215
$199
3,935 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomawalking pathjunior suitewater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldthe san diego areacoffee maker
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Love the location. Either waterview or marina view is great. Picked up from airport within 5 mins. Front desk is really friendly (ask for Chris). Stayed in new part of hotel with great room on bottom floor with our own patio. Happy hour in the lounge is 1/2 food and drink. Breakfast on the the deck is wonderful in the morning breeze. Kids have a beach just across the street. Hope to see you again next year.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank herbieBme
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We were on an exploration of SoCal using the Citypass which included 3 days at Disneyland (hotel: Best Western Park Place Inn & Mini Suites in Anaheim ) 1 day at SeaWorld (hotel: Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina) and 1 day at Universal Studios Hollywood (hotel: Sheraton Universal). We stayed first at the Best Western Park Place Inn & Mini Suites in Anaheim, across the street from the entrance to Disneyland.

We left Disneyland on a Monday morning and drove down to San Diego. Upon arrival, our room was not yet ready so we decided to drive on to Sea World. I left my phone number with the front desk and they advised they would call when the room became ready. We finally received the phone call after 3:00pm. We stayed at the park a few more hours, stopped at a place called the Noodle Company (which we do not have in Texas that I am aware of) grabbed food and brought it back to our hotel room.

I had booked a junior suite that consisted of 2 Queen beds, a kitchen and dining area, a huge 2 part bathroom and the longest balcony that I have personally ever experienced (Floorplan; CDM_Queen_Junior_Suite_Water_View.jpg). It looked right out onto the water and was in the Casa Del Marina building on the second floor (no elevator). I ate dinner on the balcony looking out over the ducks in the grass below and beyond them out to the water just past the pier. The sunset cast a happy warm glow over the water along the horizon. After dinner we crossed the un-busy street and took a stroll along the pier and looked out over the bay. This was a very quiet and peaceful island. There were several people out fishing and someone apparently caught a lobster but had to throw it back as it was not caught with a trap.

The hotel and the surroundings were so lovely and peaceful. The room was phenomenally beautiful, one of the newer ones I believe. This was my second time in San Diego and the second time that I came away thinking how much I would love to live there- or at least visit longer. Hint: even if it requires extra driving, stay in a hotel near the water when in San Diego. There are plenty of waterfront and beachfront hotels in the area. This is one the best and the only place among the 3 hotels we stayed in where we wished we had far more time.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view on the second floor... Casa Del Marina room was beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Valanie
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Spent 3 nights June 10 -13 on the second floor of the Casa Del Mar building facing the bay and overlooking the parking area. Were told that these rooms were recently redone and they did look that way. This was a mini suite. Bedroom seperate from living/kitchen area. Nice bed, couch, two TVs. We like to eat breakfast in as well as a snack at night. The suite had a micro, sink, dishes and a VERY VERY MINI refridgerator. This is my main complaint. Could not stand up a 1/2 gallon of milk inside, we had to lay it on its side. No freezer compartment and the unit really did not get cold enough. So I would not recommend this mini suite for a family who need to eat in. Get a full suite. Otherwise, it was comfortable and clean. The staff were great. We did not eat in the restaurant. Shelter Island is not close enough to walk to any of the attractions (Gaslamp district, Old Town, Midway Museum, Balboa Park or the Zoo), so you will need a car. The parking at the motel was free, this is unusual in San Diego. The A/C unit was noisy, but we did not use it at all. Got a nice ocean breeze. Very relaxing watching the ducks and boats from the balcony.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheBrownsinAZ
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had an excellent three nights stay on June 7-10, 2012, my room was on the second floor of the Casa Del Mar buidling facing the parking and the bay.

My room was very well furnished with large LCD TV and a balcony overlooking the San Diego bay. the bed was comfortable, and although the aircon was a bit noisy - it didnt bother me as i never turn it on! The weather was so nice, that i just slept with my window open (and the area was quiet enough that i can sleep through the night).

The hotel's many buildings compose of newer and older parts. I think it would be worth the extra money to choose the newer parts of this hotel for newer building and view.

I had a rental car with me, so getting around was not a problem. Didn't eat at the hotel at all, so I cannot comment on the food.

Personally, I think Shelter Islands is an excellent place to stay if your goal is to look for a relaxation stay. For more happening action, I just took taxi to Gaslamp district for nice dine and wine (taxi cost about 20 USD each way).

Parking is plenty and its free. The area surrounding hotel is basically marinas, but it is very safe and very nice to just stroll around.

There are couple of nice restaurants within 10 minutes walking distance.

Room Tip: Casa Del Mar or Casa Marina - newer buildings. Get the rooms upstairs if you want better view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the new Casa Marina wing, with the coveted 2nd floor Marina view, and we were initially happy with our room. However, at bedtime we discovered that our 2queen beds had mattresses that sagged on one side, were hard as rock on the other, and seemed to be both old and poorly maintained.

Then early the next morning housekeeping knocked on the door. We had no "do not disturb " sign to warn them off - so did not think it was fair to be upset that they woke us. However we left the room soon after and when we returned at 3pm the room had had no attention! A little later housekeeping knocked again and we waved them off, since we needed to dress for the evening.

This is an expensive hotel in a gorgeous and convenient location. I am really sorry to say that I will not consider staying here again. However bad mattresses and intrusive, inefficient housekeeping are simply unacceptable at these prices. And goodness gracious, provide a "do not disturb" sign for each room!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Ozma
wjorman, Manager at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Thank you for the feedback and I’m sorry that you had so many problems in your room.

We have “Garden Sleep System” mattresses in the Casa Marina building and these beds have pressure control dials located on each side of the mattress. These settings should have been placed at the neutral setting by the room attendant after the previous guest departed and it seems that this wasn’t done. Along with the do not disturb sign, there should also be instructions in the room to guide our guests with the mattress settings.

Your concerns have been shared with our team and we will definitely make sure we handle it better from now on. We do hope you’ll come back and see us again.