4,049 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomajunior suitewalking pathwater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldcoffee makerthe san diego area
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We arrived and were taken care of immediately!!!!! Thank you Robert for taking very good care of us!!! This was my very first time to San Diego and it was an excellent experience at the Islands Palms Hotel & Marina!!! We stayed a week and have nothing to complain about!! Great location!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Utter-Taitague
wjorman, Manager at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

That’s so nice to hear! Thank you for the flattering comments and we’ll see you soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and had a wonderful stay. We had a suite in the island palms section with a view of the marina. We so enjoyed sitting on our balcony overlooking the marina and watching the sunsets, boats, baby sea gulls... If we turned in the other direction we had a view of the bay and the city! The suite provided plenty of room for the 4 of us with the added benefit of a full size fridge and kitchen area. I also really appreciated the area the hotel was in. It was quiet and it felt safe in this area. You could walk around shelter island without feeling you were in a dangerous place. The longer I was in San Diego the more I appreciated this aspect. It was a great place to 'come home to" after busy days of sight seeing. It was also very reasonably priced, everything was clean
and in working condition, and it was quiet. We also got a lot if use out of the pools and hot tub. When we go back to San Diego this will be where we'll be staying.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank travelgirlrn82

Thank you very much! We really are in a great location and Shelter Island has plenty to do and see, not to mention being “15 minutes from everything.” We can’t wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed here 14 - 16th June and whilst it was alright, I wouldn't rave about it and would opt to stay somewhere else next time.
We were put in block B which is the older part of the complex. We didn't apperciate this at the time and had we been staying longer than 2 days, I would have asked to be moved. Our room was ground level and had a motel feel to it. It smelled a little bit fausty and had a very old fashioned - and noisy - air conditioning unit, which was perfectly adequate at the time however because it was not hot during our time in San Diego. If it had been warmer, it may not have been sufficient.
We had our very own pet cockroach in the bathroom (we gathered him up in a towel and put him ouitside once we managed to catch him...) and we found the bathroom/ shower area to be very dark and dingy to be honest.
We went into the heart of San Diego one night because it was a bit quiet where we were and the taxi cost us $25 there and $30 back - bit steep.... Be aware that if you want to do this it will cost you!!!!
On a more positive note, we ate in the bar/restuarant one night and our meal was fabulous. The bar staff were wonderful and really friendly.
In conclusion, we loved San Diego (despite the June gloom we got) and will definitely be back - we will stay in the Gaslight district next time however.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part of the complex
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TAmember8
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Wow! What an amazing stay at the Island Palms. Four nights of a tropical paradise and awesome weather made an unforgettable stay. After a failed attempt to make a trip to San Diego last year, we finally made it this year to celebrate my daughters graduation. We had an AMAZING room (Queen Jr Suite) on the second floor with the best view ever. Panoramic views of the San Diego bay was just the ticket to enjoy our morning coffee or evening glass of wine. It was so nice to sit out on the balcony and watch the Navy fly above us, the fisherman on the pier across the street or simply take in the fresh air and just enjoy the quiet. Either side of the hotel is an awesome view. After reading several reviews and alot of people favoring the marina side, I personally favor the bay side. There's more activity to watch and even though there is some car traffic and the parking lot is located on that side, I really didn't notice it much. I was too busy just being there. I will DEFINITELY stay here again..without a doubt! A special thanks to Shaun for selecting such a wonderful room for us and making our stay an enjoyable one.

Oh..a couple side notes..I can't rate the restaurant,spa or room service since we didn't experience them this trip, but from what I heard buzzing around I shouldn't miss out next time. And the hotel is nicely located to everything..not too far to get anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SusanP163
Reviewed June 21, 2011

LOVED the location. Slightly secluded from the city. Beautiful views. We had a villa which was perfect for our family (8 travelers) with a marina view which was breathtaking to wake up to each morning. It is spendy but with that came absolute pampering. They washed all the dishes we used, replaced all linens, towels, etc... throughout the stay. Staff was friendly, knowledgeable and even though it was busy when we were there, they were quick to help us with anything we needed.
Pools were very nice, warm and clean. Which is a must with kids. They love to swim. Beds were cozy, even the pull out couch bed.
Things that were just ok- the dishes and utensils that were available in our rooms were not very good and there were little choices. We boiled pasta in frying pans, but made it work and it was just fine. We chose to enjoy and not be picky, but the flip side is spending a lot of $ we should have asked. But I hate to put people out. (my fault).
We were very pleased with the stay and were SO sad to leave the beauty of it all. Husband and I hope to return very soon. 4 nights just wasn't enough.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family