4,049 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomajunior suitewalking pathwater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldcoffee makerthe san diego area
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Best Western Island Palms on our honeymoon on the recommendation of one of my co-workers. At first I didn't think a Best Western would be nice enough for our honeymoon (we had money to spend and wanted something nicer than we can usually afford), but after looking at their website, we were excited to stay there. We were not disappointed! There are three sections to this hotel: Island Palms, Casa Del Mar, and Casa Marina. We stayed in the Island Palms section, which is a bit older but has a very charming atmosphere. We had a beautiful, comfortable suite with a huge patio and a lovely view of the marina. The staff members we encountered were courteous. The grounds are gorgeous and the hotel is very close to Sea World, Balboa Park, the San Diego Maritime Museum, the USS Midway, and more. The only negative comment I can make is that in the future we won't be paying for the breakfast package. The food was good but pricey and service was on the slow side. We would have been just as happy getting something at the McDonald's or Starbucks a block or two away. We'll definitely be staying at this hotel again, though!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chiwawa4556
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at this great hotel in May for our anniversary on a quick overnight stay in beautiful San Diego. The location is great being right in the marina and all. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the grounds were lovely with 2 pools in different areas. A good thing to know ahead of time is that this resort used to be 3 seperate resorts and now is one so it is very sprawling and each building area is definitely different in its age and style. We had a ground level room with little patio area facing the marina in the Casa del Mar building which was great. A very tropical/caribbean flair to the decor. My only complaint was my first impression coming down the hallways was "This building must be oid". It was a little rundown and not as clean (especially the windows and doors) as I would have expected. However, our family stayed in the newer building, Casa Marina, which, I must admit, was nicer as it was very modern and fresh. The restaurant was great! My husband said it was the best steak he ever had and that is quite the complement! The hotel next door has live concerts throughout the year--some big names so that would be worth checking out too. I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be staying here again if we get back down to San Diego!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank sunnygirl0524
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Nicest hotel I have stayed at in San Diego. Beautiful location. Clean modern and very spacious suite in the Casa Del Mar building. Good value for money

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bootesville
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were able to catch this hotel when they were having a sale - be sure to ask when booking if they are aware of any upcoming sales! One thing we really liked about the hotel was the free parking - many hotels in the area seem to charge for it.

This hotel featured a really nice tropical decor. Our room was about the furthest from the pools and main lobby that they offered, but we still did not find the walk too bad. The hotel offers two pools areas and both are really beautiful with views of the marina and water. My only complaint was that the hot tubs were too hot to actually enjoy. I love heat and hot water and was still only able to enjoy it for about 2-3 minutes at a time before it got too hot and my boyfriend found it painful. Would have loved to take a swim in the pools but it was pretty cold and cloudy during out visit.

One of the pools also offered a gas fireplace, but you need to call the front desk and ask for it to be turned on. A suggestion to the hotel would be to put out a little sign with instructions to call and the number - as we spent awhile trying to figure out how to turn it on ourselves.

The hotel is out on a little island so you do have to take a short walk over the bridge to the mainland to get to other restaurants and it is about a 10 minute drive to get to places like Old Town and the Maritime museum. What I liked it that it was about 10-20 minutes from everything that we wanted to see - was couldn't walk to any attractions, but it was right in the middle of all of them.

The room was always clean and the decor was tropical and a bit more interesting than your average hotel room. Our room even had a little patio which would have been a great place to sit and read in nicer weather. The staff was always very pleasant.

I found the value to be excellent considering there was not much else I could have asked for and I paid about $60 less than other area hotels offering similar amenities - and many of them did not even include parking.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marston258
Reviewed June 11, 2011

During the past 3 years, we have stayed at any number of Best Western hotels from Northern CA to SoCAL. This was by far the most outstanding of them all! The views at any time of day or night from our suite was stunning and made you think you would never want to leave. Daniel, the front office manager, was most accommodating and assisted in upgrading us to the suite we just loved without added charges due to the reward points we had accummulated! We hadn't even thought to ask but Daniel made it happen. The jacuzzi and pool were steps way from our door which overlooked the marina. It was wonderful! I particularly enjoyed seeing the navy ships cruise out to sea and watching a jet fighter plane soar overhead. Kudos to all on the Island Palms staff! This stay was one of BW's promotional events where earning 3 separate nights between March and May, you got a free night. We are very happy to be part of the BW family!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple