“Very basic, wouldn't stay here again”

Best Western Seven Seas
Ranked #141 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very basic, wouldn't stay here again”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

It's on hotel circle which sounds fancy but isn't, it's just a road with lots of budget motels on it. Close to all the attractions, but certainly not central. About a 10min drive to the zoo which is what we were mainly in San Diego for. It was literally somewhere to sleep but considering they charge $90 a night (that's what we overheard them tell someone who asked if they had any rooms available that night), we were expecting something much nicer. Cramped rooms. Didn't seem very secure, ended up taking all expensive personal items with us just incase. Booked the hotel through Hotwire as a secret rate hotel and were expecting much better from a 'secret hotel'. Fairly certain we could have got somewhere nicer for the same price so was a shame.
San Diego was a good trip though, lots to see and do - and the Mexican food in Old Town was fantastic.

1 Thank DanielleANDRyan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I checked out and moved to another Best Western in town right after I checked in to this hotel. Checking in experience was very bad, desk clerk was poorly trained. I was assigned to room 159. It was a non-smk room, but has a big ashtray installed right on the wall outside the room door. The room smells so bad, they sprayed so much air fresher trying to cover the smell from odor & smoking but made it worse. I found so many hairs on the bed sheet, there's a big area of yellow stains on the sheet as well, I wonder if they change the sheets after each check out or not. I went to the desk checked out, they charged me for the night anyways, without any apologize. I left my phone number for the manager to call me back, one week past, they never call me back. I gave them more than enough chance to solve the problem, but I guess they rather prefer me to share my experience with the public.

So, if you don't care about the cleanness, don't care about the service, don't care get you and your family sick, don't care about they will ruin your vacation, go ahead book your room at this hotel!!

2 Thank Sally C
bw7seasMGR, General Manager at Best Western Seven Seas, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Sally C.,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your valuable feedback. We've read through your review in detail and are sorry to hear of the service and room cleanliness issues you experienced. It is our top priority to ensure each guest has an exceptional stay and it appears we fell short of this goal during your visit. Rest assured, we will discuss your concerns with our staff to prevent these issues from reoccurring for future guests. Thank you again for your review.

Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week. Recommend you pay $15-20 more a night and stay at one of the nicer hotels. The rooms are extremely small and look like they haven't been updated since the seventies. The tub, bathroom door, dials on heater/air conditioner, and outlets were all broken. Water goes hot and cold. Walls are extremely thin. We could hear every word from the family next door.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank MinH1979
bw7seasMGR, General Manager at Best Western Seven Seas, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and for being our guest at the Best Western Seven Seas. Thank you for mentioning our convenient location near the top San Diego attractions including SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo as well as the value we offer. We're sorry to read about the issues you experienced with the appliances in your room and had we been made aware of these issues, we would have done our best to fix them or move you to another room if available. We are pleased to inform you that we are currently undergoing renovations to our rooms and we hope you give us the opportunity to showcase our renovations on your next trip to San Diego.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 8 days here and I have to say the hotel has an OK service overall, no more. The girls at the front desk are rude, make you wait as long as they wish you to, same happens when you call over the phone, we even waited over 10 minutes on the phone while it was getting past THEIR time to call for a shuttle, and then many minutes more while deciding if we could or could not take it. The amenities and room cleaning are OK but not the best, have to make sure to place a card on the bed to get the bed clothes changed, but the towels get changed daily. I personally didn't find the highway noise so disturbing even when our room was very close to the entrance. They have a 24 hrs hot pool so be sure to enjoy it. Best experience from this hotel is their shuttle service; gets you from and to the airport and also to most of the touristic areas of the city, and practically works all day long, depending on your location. But saving up in transportation is a really good thing. Made a reservation over a month in advance and got a $78 fare avg. Which is quite good. Can't expect the best of the best for this price so I can say we were pleased with what we got.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
bw7seasMGR, General Manager at Best Western Seven Seas, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear ValDelfin,
Thank you for your 4-star review and we appreciate your feedback. We're so pleased you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle service that will take you to many of the top San Diego attractions as well as our onsite hot tub and pool. We're happy you had an overall pleasant stay. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our front desk staff and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We look forward to hosting your next visit to San Diego.

Ontario, California
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I came in today from Ontario California for a 3 day getaway. I've stayed at many Best Westerns in the past and this is by far the worst of them. The girl at the front desk was rude. She charged my card for room and incidentals then said "oh I'll refund the $75 for incidentals after you leave and it'll be a while" I explained my frustration and she did not care. I was originally going to stay here the entire time but decided to only book one night here and again, she didn't care about the loss of business. I came into my room and the bathroom is dirty! No bag in the trash can, all my toiletries are EMPTY! I called over a house keeper who was walking around their horrible parking lot and she cussed in Spanish then continued to walk away. I'll never recommend this disgusting place to ANYONE!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
bw7seasMGR, General Manager at Best Western Seven Seas, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear melisssadee,
Thank you for staying at the Best Western Seven Seas and for reviewing our hotel. We take feedback from our guests very seriously and are sorry to hear about the customer service issues you experienced. Our staff pride themselves on providing each and every guest with excellent customer service and we apologize that we did not meet our usual standards. With that said, I am pleased to inform you that our hotel is going through various renovations including new counter tops and wooden shelves. We apologize for the issues you experienced with the cleanliness of your room and we will be sure to discuss your observations with our housekeeping staff.

East Sandwich, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel is located next to a very noisy highway. The bathroom was very dirty and the room cooling/heating unit was very noisy. I was not made aware that there was a breakfast included so I could at least enjoy something from this hotel. I checked out after the first night of a 2 night stay and went to the Hilton Bayfront for almost the same money and a MUCH BETTER experience.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Bernard B
bw7seasMGR, General Manager at Best Western Seven Seas, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Bernard B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry you had some noise issues and concerns with your room and if you had let the front desk know, we would have done our best to move you to a more quiet room and address your concerns. Our on-site restaurant, Seven Seas Café serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

San Diego, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I've never been treated with such disrespect. I wouldn't be surprised if this hotel was bought out by a different company. Great location, and setting... Yet, terrible customer service/sketchy cleaning services/ and management. Will never be staying in a Best Western again

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Wolfeman5800
Dear Wolfeman5800,
We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the service you experienced as is it our goal to provide every guest with an exceptional service experience. It appears we fell short this time. However, we are pleased that you enjoyed our great Mission Valley location and tropical setting. Thank you again and we appreciate your business.