“What a disappointment.”

Ranked #85 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Indianapolis, Indiana
“What a disappointment.”
Reviewed January 5, 2010

The price and location was our reason for choosing this hotel. What a disappointment. The hotel is old and not well maintained. The carpet in the room was old and had an awful smell. It was difficult to open and close the entry door,. The vanity was small and cramped. The beds took up most of the space. We planned to stay 3 days but checked out after 1 day.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mestiza50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Turkish first
Granada Hills, CA
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I stayed here to attend a conference at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, which was much more expensive so some colleagues and I found this hotel and figured we would just carpool to the Hyatt.

First the good: the place looks nice. The reviewer who said the decor looks dated must have stayed in a different hotel because all of the decor in the rooms and public spaces was contemporary and new. It is obvious that the hotel was recently renovated. Rooms have microwaves and fridges. The location is good if you're going to the airport or harbor. There are many seafood restaurants in the area, and we ate at Pomodoro twice, which is an Italian restaurant staffed by actual Italians.

Now the bad:
-When I checked in the rate they tried to give me was higher than the confirmed AAA rate that I got from bestwestern.com. When I showed them my printed confirmation they fixed it. In looking at other reviews it appears I'm not the only person they tried to overcharge.
-The wireless Internet didn't work for the entire weekend. I talked to the front desk a few times and called BW's Internet tech support twice. I'm an IT guy and, according to tech support, the access points needed to be restarted but the front desk said no one in the hotel knew how to do it. All they knew how to do was reset the router, which wasn't the problem. I offered to help and they said no. So the only Internet access was a sole PC near the lobby.
-The hot and cold in the shower were switched and one of my friends said hers was also switched. Either the pipes are backwards or, more likely, the handle was put on upside down. One morning I took a shower at 8:00 and the hot water was almost gone. (The previous night when I washed my hands the water was almost scaling so there is hot water sometimes.)
-Another friend traveling with me said she came back to her room at 10:00 pm and it hadn't been made up.
-The rooms are indeed small. My king room had about 2 feet clearance on one side and 3 feet on the other, and bout 3 feet at the foot of the bed.
--Each room has a balcony and a nice view but there's no furniture out there.
-There is a lot of outside traffic noise at this hotel--not the hotel's fault, it's just in a noisy location. I heard no noise from the neighbors; it was all from the outside. So if you are sensitive to noise bring earplugs.

Overall I was not impressed by this hotel in the least and would not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank runchadrun
RichardBeck, General Manager at Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2010
First I would like to thank this reviewer. For someone who "was not impressed by this hotel in the least" they had some very nice things to say about our new decor and recent renovations.

I was concerned when I read about the misunderstanding with the rate. We NEVER intentionally overcharge anyone. This does occasionally happen due to the many different sources selling rooms here, but we always have some back up measure to make sure the guests get the rate they booked or better. Upon reading other reviews it occurs to me that only one other reviewer mentioned this as an issue.

We know that there are often problems with the Speedlinks wireless internet service from Best Western International. In response to this we have installed two additional wireless networks with multiple routers throughout the building that are independent of the Speedlinks. We are required to have the Speedlinks service, but since it is not reliable we have spent the extra money to have the additional service available to our guests.

There are several room types in our hotel. The least expensive rooms are smaller. We had considered putting full or queen sized beds in the budget rooms, but our guest feedback tells us that most guests would rather have a bigger bed. Given the price of the room versus the prices in general in a major city in San Diego, We think it is a good bargain. For those guests looking for larger rooms and better views we offer deluxe harbor and pool view rooms that have extra space.

We have been working hard to renovate and revitalize this property. We see the results of our hard work and it is gratifying to hear the positive comments about that work even from a guest that was not entirely satisfied with their stay.
texas
Reviewed November 16, 2009

nice location, excellent service...

Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2009

My large extended family, including my husband, 2 year old, 1 year old, my 50-something parents, my 60-something mother-in-law and my 70-something grandmother all came to San Diego for a little family holiday. We booked this hotel based on the price (as my retired grandmother and mother-in-law are on tight budgets) and it's proximity to all the attractions we wanted to see. I was amazed at just how close it was to the airport without feeling like we were on the runway as well as just how close it was to all amenities (10 minutes to Sea World, 5 minutes to the Zoo, many restaurants and a grocery store within minutes). The rooms are basic but clean, the bathrooms look like they've recently been renovated, and quite sound-proof (my parents were in the room beside us and couldn't hear the kids at all). The rooms do seem like they are a touch on the small side, we felt a little cramped with 3 suitcases in there but not to the point of being annoying. There was a mini-fridge and a microwave in the room which was fantastic for us with small children.

My only minor complaints was that the "continental breakfast" was quite minimal and by our 5th day the breads/muffins/etc were stale and there was only a couple of bruised apples and under ripe oranges for fruit. The other was when we checked in there was a discrepency over the price - I had booked via the 1-800 number and was quoted an AAA rate of $89/night. However when I checked in they told me I was wrong and the rate they had was $99/night. Fortunately for me I had my printed e-mail confirmation and once I showed this to the front desk agent she immediately corrected it, but I wonder what would have happened had I not had that.

Overall I would definately stay at this hotel again as would the rest of my extended family. You definately cannot beat the price and the great location to everything.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
West Hills
Reviewed August 13, 2009

What a great place. I have been to San Diego before but I have never stayed at this hotel. I was so pleasantly surprised! The location is perfect. The views of the Harbor are beautiful. I was in town for business but I would love to bring my family next time. The rooms were big and the people at the hotel were extra helpful. I thank them for making my time away from home comfortable!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
RichardBeck, General Manager at Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2009
Thank you to all of our guests for writing a review.

It is gratifying to see the positive feedback following our taking over and renovating this great hotel.

We have worked very hard to create a relaxing environment at an affordable price and from the recent reviews it looks like we are achieving that goal.

The past reviews from before our takeover and the reviews during our construction show a sharp contrast to what our guests are experiencing now, and I hope everyone will take the opportunity to experience what we have to offer.

Richard Beck
NJ
Reviewed July 29, 2009

First time in San Diego, stayed 4 nights before a cruise. Called several hotels, and after hearing that this one was just renovated (brand-new mattresses!) decided to give it a try. We couldn't have been happier with our decision. Our king room had a great view of the harbor, and was spotless, with new carpets & window treatments (the furniture seemed a little dated, and probably should be updated to match the rest of the hotel). The bed was super comfortable, and the room amenities (microwave, coffee, fridge, ironing board & iron) made our stay very comfortable. The pool and hot tub where a great place to relax after a day of sightseeing, and they have an exercise room also, if you are so inclined (not while on vacation, please). The location was excellent. We walked 2 blocks to a bus stop, for a direct bus to Old Town, then took off from there on our adventures. Also, can walk along the water to a great park. The front desk was very helpful with all our questions, and the internet access came in handy. Overall, I think this is a great hotel for the price, with friendly, efficient staff & a can't-beat location. Can't wait to come back to San Diego.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveling2NJ
New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I came to San Diego to visit family. i have been to San Diego several times and have stayed at other hotels. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and service that the hotel provided. The prices were well within my budget and the location was very convenient for sightseeing. The view from our room was great. It is obvious that the hotel has recently been renovated. The results are impressive. I will be back

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family