“Great Shuttle Service and View”

Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel
Ranked #88 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Chilliwack BC
“Great Shuttle Service and View”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed three nights post Panama Canal cruise. I called beforehand to ask if shuttle picked up at cruise port and was told to call hotel from courtesy phone outside pier building, which is what we did. We were picked up within 10 minutes.

It was too early to check in but staff stored bags in locked storage room. We spent time walking around the harbor, scouting places to eat and walked to Shelter Island.

We were able to check in about 2 p.m. We got a sixth floor, king sized bed, harbor view room that we booked. The room was clean and spacious with fridge, microwave and coffeemaker.

The breakfast room is small and was very crowded when we were there. Too many families making waffles for the kids, so we grabbed coffees, fruit and muffins and sat on the front patio. Coffee, apples and sometimes cookies are available in the lobby 24 hours.

We caught the bus on Rosecrans Street which is a main road near the hotel. It travels to Old Town transit station where you can catch a bus or trolley to anywhere in the greater S.D. Area. An all day pass cost $7 each. We travelled to Coronado Island, the Mexican border and La Jolla using public transit.

We printed boarding passes ( no charge) and booked the shuttle to the airport the day before leaving. Our driver was so friendly and helpful. Overall, we were happy we'd chosen this hotel because the value is great.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are noisy due to the busy road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Turkish first
Huntsville, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The first thing I noticed about the hotel room was the smell. It did not smell fresh and clean, even though it was a non-smoking room. The beds were comfortable, and I liked having a balcony. The pillows were small. The room contained a nice size refrigerator. I was disappointed in the size of the vanity in the bathroom area. It was too small. Also, the floor in front of the vanity was uneven. It seem like there had been remodeling and the floor had not been leveled. This could be felt through the carpet. The carpet needed a good cleaning, especially against the walls. There was an iron in the room, but no ironing board. The tv was a nice size with a good quality picture. Complimentary breakfast was good.

The men that worked the hotel shuttle were very nice and did a great job.

The big issue I had with the hotel was with booking. I had booked 2 rooms for my family. My daughter and I arrived on time and took one room (as planned). The rest of my family did not arrive that day because their flight had been cancelled due to bad weather. When I checked in at the hotel, I told that to the lady that worked there. I also told her that they would be there the next day. When my family did arrive the next day, we found out that their reservations had been cancelled, and there was not a room available for every night they needed one. The lady at the front desk did not seem to care about how much trouble this caused my family. (This was a different lady than the worked the previous night.) She didn't say "I'm sorry". The manager has not returned my call concerning this matter. I am very disappointed in management.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
seacap, Manager at Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you again Kim for reaching out, I am glad that we had time to resolve this situation throughout the past couple days while also dealing with the third party source you booked through. I understand the frustration due to the complication in travel and what not, and was happy to look into the situation as I did. I do hope you choose to come back and visit us again and then I can personally book your reservation and arrange any further accommodation if something were to arise travel wise in the future. With regards to the other comments, thank you for the positive feedback on the shuttle service and the breakfast. We are known for our cleanliness however, so I will be looking into the rooms you and the other party booked to go through and inspect as we do throughout the months at this property and will look into the other items mentioned. Thank you again for taking time to reach out and I appreciate your willingness to work with me as I corrected this situation for you. Please keep my email address and contact me with anything further - Ankanovasic@yachtharborhotel.com.
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Spent 2 nights here last March. We chose this motel due to the Best Western name but it was very ordinary. Older style building with car parking underneath. Location good with marina views. Restaurants opposite but no shops closeby except for tiny one inside Holiday Inn up the road. Free Internet with a PC available, swimming pool on street. Breakfast room was tucked away in a back corner, very small and cramped and the food was just OK. Balcony rooms have glass sliding doors WITHOUT safety transfer, so check before walking out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

After reading reviews we chose a room on a higher floor to try to avoid the road noise mentioned often by reviewers. We wanted a room on the front (beside the road) so we could see the marina. The view was nice but only because we're both good sleepers did we manage to get a good night's sleep the first night despite the constant, loud traffic noise from below us. We actually had to pull the curtains back to make sure there wasn't a window open. The second night was worse because a fight broke out at the pool (at the front of the hotel directly below the rooms) at 3 a.m. The yelling went on for 20 minutes. We joked that it was a fitting end to our Panama Canal cruise vacation since we'd started out the same way in our room in Fort Lauderdale on the last day of March Break. Apart from the noise, the rooms are clean and spacious (although the mattress wasn't comfortable - it dipped in the middle), breakfast was good, the coffee/tea/hot chocolate and apples all day in the lobby were a nice touch, and the front desk staff were pleasant. It was great to have the included shuttles from the cruise port and to the airport. There are several restaurants lining the marina. Jimmy's was recommended to us and it was excellent. However, the hotel is located a long way from any attractions and we had to take a $25 taxi ride to the Zoo which ate up any savings from staying in this location. Next time we'll stay downtown.

Room Tip: If you're really concerned about road noise, choose a room on the back side of the hotel.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel is 2miles from the airport, and as as stop over hotel it is excellent. There are 6 floors and we were give a harbour view room. The room was very clean, spacious with a small balcony that you could sit out on and watch the activity in the harbour. When we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful, and there were free freshly cooked cookies and coffee in the foyer . There were 2 restaurants virtually opposite the hotel, however, they were pricey, probably due to their location. There were several cheap and cheerful restaurants that were within a very short distance at the back of the hotel, which we walked to. The only downside is it was quite noisy from the road. On our last night there were road repairs going on all night, which were particularly noisy as they were using a pneumatic drill. Overall This is a good hotel to stay at for your stay in San Diego.

1 Thank Sheelagh G