“Good value, but noisy”

Ranked #87 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Portland, Oregon
“Good value, but noisy”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here so we could be close to a lot of things and look out at the bay. The location was fantastic for a winter trip where we didn't want to have immediate beach access. The harbor was fun to look at, and there were 4 great restaurants right across the street. The swimming pool was nice and the hot tub was in a covered area so it could be used even when it rains. It is very close to the zoo, airport, and of course, the harbor. Breakfast was ample, but crowded. There are some tables out front which are nice. Parking was great. The room was clean - but I do prefer the Best Westerns that have the dispenses for soap, shampoo, etc. rather than the cheap bottles (but I also really don't like Pantene shampoo). The only issue we had was the noise from the street- the windows are very poorly insulated against sound. I had requested a Harbor view room thinking it would be quieter, but that put us right on the street, since the harbor is on the other side of the street.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, try a city view - they might be more toward the back?
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is easy to find, has ample parking, is close to alot of things. has nice rooms, but the noise from the street is awful.We had a room facing the street with a small balcony. The room was a double queen bed and nice sized. The bathroom was a little too small but useable. It was clean, but you can tell this is an older hotel. There are a surplus of outlets in the room, when you travel with teens that is important. The hotel provides a nice breakfast in the morning. Here is the problem,, the nice floor to ceiling windows and sliding glass door that look out to the harbor are single pane windows. At around 5:00 am the traffic starts moving on the street below, you hear every tiny thing. If someone closes the door on their car you hear it,, if they honk their horn you hear it, if they rev their engine you hear it. Being as we were there for a little getaway, I did not need to be awake at 5:00am,,,, but I was.... The walls in the hotel are thin also, we could hear the people in the hall as well as the rooms next to us. I really wanted to give this hotel a good review, but the noise factor was to loud to ignore. There are several resturaunts nearby and everything else about the hotel was fine. The beds were clean and comfortable with good linens. I will not stay here again. I am a light sleeper and the noise was to much, however if you are one of those people who can sleep through anything,, this could be a good bet for you. The price is good for the area.

Room Tip: The view of the harbor is nice but these are the noisest rooms.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is hard place to beat for the price and the location. With the marina just across the street, it offers an idyllic setting, a comfortable breakfast and a clean, quiet room. I've been to better places in the world but I just wanted a place to temporally call home base while I investigated my surroundings and spent time with grown children. Try the Farmer's Market for delightful culinary treats or the Fish Market on North Harbor for a filling and comfortable seafood meal. I wished only that their ice machine was not relegated to one floor of the hotel but I know that the economics of such are a factor for the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very nice, clean, friendly and helpful staff, good location. The only down side was that we had booked a double room for 3 people and there wasn't a double room available so they had to bring in a rollaway bed. Don't quite understand how this can happen when you have booked a room months in advance! Breakfast was really nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had requested a block of rooms for a group of families who were coming for a nearby event. When we checked in (separately), many of us were assigned to rooms with one bed or rooms in the smoking section. How did they expect families of four to stay in a room with one bed? It was very difficult to get the room types that we had reserved. Then our toilet overflowed. We called down requesting a plunger and rags as water was all over the floor. We offered to go pick up these items but were told they would be sent right up. After making two more phone calls and waiting 20 minutes, someone finally came. Then he brought in the most filthy mop to clean the water up off the floor. We were thoroughly grossed out. We were very disappointed with our stay.

1 Thank Liz3270
seacap, Manager at Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to respond after your stay. I know that other parties in the group did not experience this type of issue during their stay, so I apologize that this occurred during your particular check in process and stay. I understand that any kind of room type malfunction can be very frustrating. We house many groups successfully, and this is not typical when a group discount is extended and rooms are booked by the actual individual who calls into our front desk to set up the reservation. Our agents are trained to ask what their needs are while booking and if they are traveling with children, etc. I am looking further into what happened with regards to room switches that sold out weekend. I have also reviewed inventory with my maintenance team with regards to our clean up tools and have made sure that everything is clean as we have been noted several times for our superior cleanliness at the property, and want to maintain that notoriety. Thank you again for your response and I apologize that this was not a stay we are typically known for as you can see from the below reviews. I hope you choose to stay with us again for a much improved experience and if there is anything further you would like to let me know, please contact me at Ankanovasic@yachtharborhotel.com.
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed January 2, 2013

i don't know where else you can stay for a reasonable price that includes free wi-fi,in room, a breakfast room w/a waffle maker, free parking, free shuttle to/from airport and free shuttle to cruise port. yes, you must make the shuttle reservation in advance but i think that is fair. front desk clerks are professional and friendly, we asked about nearby restaurants and he was going to print out google directions, but we had a gps and didn't need it. The room was on a high floor, just like I requested....it was a little small, but it was clean and was fine for the short time we were there. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone pre or post cruise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family