“Nice but noisy”

Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel
Ranked #84 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is easy to find, has ample parking, is close to alot of things. has nice rooms, but the noise from the street is awful.We had a room facing the street with a small balcony. The room was a double queen bed and nice sized. The bathroom was a little too small but useable. It was clean, but you can tell this is an older hotel. There are a surplus of outlets in the room, when you travel with teens that is important. The hotel provides a nice breakfast in the morning. Here is the problem,, the nice floor to ceiling windows and sliding glass door that look out to the harbor are single pane windows. At around 5:00 am the traffic starts moving on the street below, you hear every tiny thing. If someone closes the door on their car you hear it,, if they honk their horn you hear it, if they rev their engine you hear it. Being as we were there for a little getaway, I did not need to be awake at 5:00am,,,, but I was.... The walls in the hotel are thin also, we could hear the people in the hall as well as the rooms next to us. I really wanted to give this hotel a good review, but the noise factor was to loud to ignore. There are several resturaunts nearby and everything else about the hotel was fine. The beds were clean and comfortable with good linens. I will not stay here again. I am a light sleeper and the noise was to much, however if you are one of those people who can sleep through anything,, this could be a good bet for you. The price is good for the area.

Room Tip: The view of the harbor is nice but these are the noisest rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,348)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank VINCE M
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is hard place to beat for the price and the location. With the marina just across the street, it offers an idyllic setting, a comfortable breakfast and a clean, quiet room. I've been to better places in the world but I just wanted a place to temporally call home base while I investigated my surroundings and spent time with grown children. Try the Farmer's Market for delightful culinary treats or the Fish Market on North Harbor for a filling and comfortable seafood meal. I wished only that their ice machine was not relegated to one floor of the hotel but I know that the economics of such are a factor for the hotel.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very nice, clean, friendly and helpful staff, good location. The only down side was that we had booked a double room for 3 people and there wasn't a double room available so they had to bring in a rollaway bed. Don't quite understand how this can happen when you have booked a room months in advance! Breakfast was really nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had requested a block of rooms for a group of families who were coming for a nearby event. When we checked in (separately), many of us were assigned to rooms with one bed or rooms in the smoking section. How did they expect families of four to stay in a room with one bed? It was very difficult to get the room types that we had reserved. Then our toilet overflowed. We called down requesting a plunger and rags as water was all over the floor. We offered to go pick up these items but were told they would be sent right up. After making two more phone calls and waiting 20 minutes, someone finally came. Then he brought in the most filthy mop to clean the water up off the floor. We were thoroughly grossed out. We were very disappointed with our stay.

1  Thank Liz3270
seacap, Manager at Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for taking time to respond after your stay. I know that other parties in the group did not experience this type of issue during their stay, so I apologize that this occurred during your particular check in process and stay. I understand that any kind of room type malfunction can be very frustrating. We house many groups successfully, and this is not typical when a group discount is extended and rooms are booked by the actual individual who calls into our front desk to set up the reservation. Our agents are trained to ask what their needs are while booking and if they are traveling with children, etc. I am looking further into what happened with regards to room switches that sold out weekend. I have also reviewed inventory with my maintenance team with regards to our clean up tools and have made sure that everything is clean as we have been noted several times for our superior cleanliness at the property, and want to maintain that notoriety. Thank you again for your response and I apologize that this was not a stay we are typically known for as you can see from the below reviews. I hope you choose to stay with us again for a much improved experience and if there is anything further you would like to let me know, please contact me at Ankanovasic@yachtharborhotel.com.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

i don't know where else you can stay for a reasonable price that includes free wi-fi,in room, a breakfast room w/a waffle maker, free parking, free shuttle to/from airport and free shuttle to cruise port. yes, you must make the shuttle reservation in advance but i think that is fair. front desk clerks are professional and friendly, we asked about nearby restaurants and he was going to print out google directions, but we had a gps and didn't need it. The room was on a high floor, just like I requested....it was a little small, but it was clean and was fine for the short time we were there. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone pre or post cruise.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank socal4me
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was the closest hotel we could get when we went to Comic-Con in July 2012. Anyone familiar with that event knows what a gaggle it is and is NOT for the faint of heart. We had a larger room with two double beds with a balcony. The room was larger than expected and we had plenty of room to store all the loot we got at the con. Room was clean, although the bathroom was a bit dated and the sink and counter were very small, it was also clean. Check in was easy and the gals at the counter all during the week were very friendly. The only problem we had was that room service would not leave us enough towels. We are 4 females all with long hair. This means that we needed 8 bath towels total, 4 washcloths and 4 hand towels. When we got to the room, there was two of each (which is normal). Called down, got the extra towels no problem. We went to the con, came back to the room after the maid had been in and we were back to 2 of each. Called down and they sent more up. Now any other hotel I have stayed at, if you are not checking out and there are 8 bath towels, you get 8 bath towels back. Not here. When we came back the second day, I went down to the front desk and asked what the problem was and why, when there were obviously 4 people in the room did housekeeping only leave 2 of everything? Why did I have to call and come down every day?!?!?!?! They made a note of it, and it wasn't a problem after that, but really?? The hotel is pretty quiet, but you do get the idiots who do not have inside voices at 2am when they are drunk. We originally thought that this hotel would not be great for the con because of the location. However, it is actually pretty ideal. There was a stop on the free shuttle at the hotel next door. A great pizza/Italian restaurant and burger joint across the street and a nice little Mexican restaurant around the corner within a quick drive. In addition, unlike down by the convention center, because these restaurants catered to the locals, they had not jacked up their menu prices like gas lamp and convention center did (a big plus for our wallets!!!). Also they were not nearly as crowded and we were able to get a table in a reasonable length of time. The pool was heated and the hot tub was nice and hot and helped out the old back and rest of my aching body after walking and standing for hours at the con. Parking here was plentiful and FREE, with half of it covered, so your car was not baking in the sun for days while we at the con. We did not really do the free continental breakfast as we were usually up and long gone before it was put out. Again, check out was a breeze and we got reservations again for 2013 Comic-Con. All in all, it is a very nice hotel, and if they fix their housekeeping issues with the towels after the first night, I will bump it up to a 5!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family