“Good for the most part”

Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel
Ranked #94 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I went to San Diego and stayed at the Best Western Plus at Miramar. We spent 4 nights in the hotel. The cost was good for the price range we had to stay in. The room was clean, bed sheets pressed and all the fixings. What you would expect from a Best Western. The staff was very nice. The night clerk we had when we checked in recommended a great restaurant across the street, even though it was at another hotel. The Deluxe Continental breakfast was a great. One of the reasons I like booking with them, is the breakfast.

This is the fourth Best Western we have stayed in. One in Tucson, Yuma, Arizona & one in National City, CA. Very impressived with the cleanliness of all three. The Miramar location was clean but it was a huge let down when the bed we slept on was not up to what we have come to expect with Best Western. It is time for new mattresses in room #233. After sleeping on it for 3 nights, we couldn't take another night. The front desk clerk switched us to the room next door. The beds were newer and far better than the previous room, however, it was not the Cloud 9 we had in the other Best Westerns. The water pressure in the shower could have been better. The room we moved to, #234 had better beds but worse water pressure in the shower.

If you are going to book this hotel, make sure to ask for a room with a newer bed. It was good price, less than $400 for 4 nights and that includes taxes. We still like Best Western and know that we can get a good deal with them for a great room but we are going to ask if they have the Cloud 9 beds. We spent a lot of money on our bed at home. We don't expect a hotel to match the quality of our bed but do expect something similar in comfort and the Cloud 9 delivers.

Room Tip: Room #233 has worn out mattresses. Room #234 has better beds but less water pressure in the shower.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia I
JasonSD12, General Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Best Western Plus Miramar. We are happy to hear that your stay was "good for the most part." We do apologize for the inconvenience that you may have ran into during your stay. Guests like you only make our job easier to address the problems immediately that way similar situations will not occur in the future. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We booked this room with Hotwire. We usually have great luck with Hotwire, but this time was the exception. When we arrived and they realized that we had booked through Hotwire they gave us the worst room in the hotel. It was a corner room above the dumpster and in front of the elevator. Once we opened the door it was stuffy smelling and stank horribly of cigarette smoke. My husband is allergic to cigarette smoke, so we requested to change the room to a non-smoking room and was told a non-smoking room would be $10 more per night. We have never had to pay more for a non-smoking room anywhere we've stayed. They just wanted to rip us off for the additional $10 per night. We called Hotwire and they were good enough to give us a refund. Please don't stay at this hotel. You will receive the same treatment from the front desk. Especially if you look like an easy target. They WILL rip you off for a quick buck.

Room Tip: Check the room BEFORE you accept it! Make sure the site you book on tells you if the rooms are smoki...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Vegascouple56
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Very reasonable rates & rooms have been recently upgraded with flat screen tvs, granite counter tops & comfortable beds. Breakfast is included. It's only okay but expected at their room rates. Front desk people are nice. Easy access to the 15.

• Stayed: September 2012
JasonSD12, General Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Best Western Plus Miramar. We are delighted to hear that you found our hotel to be of “amazing value for the price,” as we work hard to provide guests with quality service, and rooms at a reasonable price. We are glad you took advantage of our new flat screen t.v.s! We thank you again for reviewing the Best Western Plus Miramar and we hope to see you in the future!.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

It's time these guys started realizing that customer care is important in order to run a hotel...it involves 'people'! I booked my hotel through Priceline and that's why I was treated like I committed some sort of crime. They gave me a smoking room right next to the freeway (possibly the worst room in the hotel - room 218), I requested to be shifted to a non-smoking room but they insisted they could only do it for an 'upgrade' fee since it was my fault that I booked through a 'third' party. These guys are just there to nickel and dime you, plain cheap if you ask me. Anyway since I wanted a non-smoking room so I ended up paying the 'upgrade' fee and what do I get for that.....towels which had long hair clinging to it, a shower with no water pressure and the main room light which did not work, what an 'upgrade'!
I checked at the bestwestern.com website that on any given day all smoking and non-smoking rooms are equally priced for this hotel which only confirmed that they are cheating priceline customers. I will give my feedback to priceline and request them to remove this hotel from their list because people who go through priceline are mistreated. These guys have empty hotel rooms and that's why they approach priceline and hotwire to fill their rooms and then they have the audacity to trick those very customers, astounding!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Sunny_308
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was spending the weekend in San Diego with my daughter who is a Marine at Camp Pendleton. We had tickets to see Les Miserables and of course, her schedule got changed at the last minute. I needed to give up my hotel near the theater because, OH, YOU had to stay TWO nights!! I didn't NEED two nights anymore so I had to let that reservation go and scramble for a new one 4 days before my trip. I live 350 miles away!
I checked with Marriott, NOTHING in my price range. Looked at Best Western and found this gem. FREEWAY close to everything!!!!! The Civic Theater, La Jolla for dinner.
Very cute despite the age and the desk staff was friendly even with Labor Day weekend and they were FULL!!!.
Had a top floor room overlooking the pool, NO noise. Cooled down quickly because it was HOT! Plenty of ice, reasonable vending prices and tons of FREE parking. The price was AMAZING!!
I absolutely would stay there again even if offered something downtown for the same price. I LOVED the freeway access. Clean room. I brought my own cream rinse thinking they would go cheap on the toiletries but NOOO. They provided shampoo, cream rinse, and lotion. Shower cap, 2 soaps, PLENTY of fluffy thick towels
Do it, you will not have regrets.

Room Tip: I always try for the top floor to avoid patter of feet from above
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank piratebrat
JasonSD12, General Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Best Western Plus Miramar San Diego. We are so happy to hear that we are the "BEST Deal in San Diego!!" We appreciate all the kind words that you have mentioned about our hotel. We strive to work hard in providing well maintained rooms as well as exceptional quality service and are glad you took notice. Thank you again for reviewing the Best Western Plus Miramar San Diego. We hope to see you during your next visit. Thank you!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights around labor weekend in this hotel. The service was simply the best. Jim was at the reception when we arrived. He was very kind to take a note of our room preference and gave us the best option. The breakfast each morning was great. They had scrambled eggs, waffles apart from regular toast, juice, coffee, cereal. There were several healthy options as well. It used to get a bit crowded during weekends when the hotel was completely full and there were huge line for breakfast and the area was a bit small for too many people. The downtown is hardly 20mins drive and la holla was 10 mins. Perfect location still away from the crowd of downtown. Overall we had a pleasant stay. We would definitely go back and stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick the 3rd floor. It's quite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bebo23

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Best Western Plus Miramar. We are so delighted to hear that we are a great value hotel. We are also glad that you took advantage of our complimentary deluxe breakfast. We appreciate all the kind words and for staying at our hotel as well. Thank you again for reviewing the Best Western Plus Miramar and letting other travelers know about your recent stay. We look forward to seeing you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We are a traveling baseball team and was referred to the BW Plus. We had a great stay, a good breakfast every morning and the staff was very helpful. With a big group and several kids, we had a few challenges and the staff was there to help out at every turn. The surrounding hotels were easily $50.00 more a night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
JasonSD12, General Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Best Western Plus Miramar. We appreciate you staying with our hotel and appreciate the kind words as well. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!