“Great location! Excellent staff!!”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town
Ranked #75 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Portland, Oregon
“Great location! Excellent staff!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel itself is quite large, so it can be kindof confusing trying to locate your room. But other than that, the staff and the location are really really great! They provide free shuttle to and from the airport.

The hotel is smack dab in the heart of Old Town. There's so much to walk to, you don't need a car. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Yuma, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

The room was clean & big. The bed was comfortable. It was relatively quiet. Heard a train whistle once each night about 11:00 p.m. The front desk staff was courteous. We had a nice view of the city from the 2nd floor. I had planned to park across the street in the free parking rather than pay a $12 parking fee, buy my husband talked me out of it due to the Columbus Day holiday with extra people in town. I'm glad we decided to pay the fee. The free parking lot was blocked off Sat. & Sun. and only valet parking was allowed in it due to the art festival on the next block. The hotel restaurant "Acapulco" had a good breakfast I thought. I had the French Toast and scrambled eggs. My husband didn't care for it saying his eggs were under cooked and he didn't like the chunky fried potatoes. Overall, we really liked this hotel and plan to return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Treeless
Elko, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

This is an older hotel and the rooms were not so clean, but it was affordable and in a great location. WIthin walking distance of Old Town and a short drive to downtown. I had originally reserved a queen standard, but the front desk clerk talked me into a jacuzzi suite. The jacuzzi was nice, but the floors were dirty and there were items in the cupboards left over from previous travelers. However, the staff was very friendly and free breakfast was very good. They had yogurt, make your own waffles, fresh fruit, cereal and muffins and pastries. There was also a very clean laundry room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LesliJ1966
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

Stay at this hotel for a military reuion, the gifts I bought for my girlfriend were gone. Complained to hotel manager but was not taken seriously. Be very careful of what you leave in your room.Opt for no maid service unless you are in the room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank baseman123
la verne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

Room was small . I could hear people talking at 3:00 am could not sleep . I FORGOT MY 200 DOLLAR SUN GLASSES IN THE ROOM , We are 100% positive they were in the room . when i called at 9:15 am they went to my room and they said there is no glasses THEY KEPT MY GLASSES .... To them its no big deal......

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vidal51
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

My company booked me at the Best Western Hacienda Hotel in Old Town on a recent business trip and I left very satisfied. I travel a lot for work, and often I stay at Best Western properties. They vary in quality from excellent to awful. This hotel is much closer to excellent.

I can't say enough about the location. You walk down the hill from the hotel and you are in the heart of Old Town San Diego, which has tons of restaurants, shopping, bars, and tourist friendly establishments. If you are visiting other parts of San Diego, you'll need a car which you can park in their garage for $12 per day. If you are just staying in Old Town, you won't need a car because everything is within walking distance. Several reviewers have commented about being forced to find parking on the street but this was not the case for me. My company specifically requested that parking and breakfast be included in my charges and there were ample parking spots in the hotel garage.

I had never stayed in an establishment quite like this one. It was clearly designed for tourists in mind (consider where it was located). As a business traveller, there are a few things I look for in a hotel--internet service, breakfast, iron & ironing board, etc. The hotel had wife-hotspots in the courtyard, but it seems that almost every room faced the courtyard so I always got a pretty good signal. Breakfast was served at O'Hungry's around the corner. While it would've been nice to have breakfast served in the hotel itself, I'm sure if someone were on vacation this would not be a major imposition.

The room was nice and comfortable. The bed was soft and I slept well every night.

The only two issues I had were the loud and unruly people staying at the hotel and the tiny little bathroom shower and sink. First of all, I understand that it is primarily a tourist hotel. However, even at a tourist hotel they should be required to keep the noise level to a minimum after midnight. At least two nights while I was there, I had trouble sleeping due to the loud conversations taking place in the courtyard outside my room. Second, it may be a result of asking for a single room but the bathroom sink and shower area were extremely small. I'm not a large man, but I was constantly bumping into the sides of the shower each morning.

Overall, I was very impressed. While the hotel is more conducive to pleasure than business, I'd definitely return to this property when I return to the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank weary_traveller25
West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

This is a great hotel complex on a hillside with lovely courtyards and fountains. With multiple buildings stepping up the hillside, it is easy to get lost in the quaint planted courtyards if you don't pay attention. The rooms are basic with a comfy bed and a character befitting the California Mission style of the complex. And the walking distance proximity to Old Town is ideal. The hotel restaurant lacks prompt service. But, luckily there are plenty of higher quality restaurants nearby in Old Town. I was pleased to see recycling bins in the rooms. However, their shower product bottles were not recyclable, indicating a serious lack of basic corporate environmental responsibility. Additionally, I was not able to connect to the high speed internet either in the room or by Wi-Fi in the courtyard. But I didn't feel like calling the front desk to resolve the problem. So, I suppose I shouldn't hold it against them.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business