“GREAT VALUE!!”

Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town
Ranked #70 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Last time we were in Old Town San Diego, my wife and I were really taken in by the night life and vacation atmosphere in the little mission area of San Diego. We also noticed there was a hotel that sprawled out over the main street in the hills. I was like, "hot diggidy, that is a pretty hotel up there on the hill, we should check it out some day." That day was last night and we were really impressed. First off, i requested a room with a view when i booked online. Sure enough they had a room with a view ready for us when we got there. Unfortunately, it was right in front of the pool. No problem though. They were happy to move us and put us in an even nicer room, still enjoying a partial view. The room was really good size and had everything that a 3 star hotel should and then some. The room was not perfect, of course. The water pressure was a little weak-effecting the toilet and the shower--, no central a/c and a pretty old t.v.. But, those were really nothing when weighed against the atmosphere of this overall really well maintained hotel. . Also, the hotel is really close to downtown and Sea World (that's where we went) and the zoo. We really felt like we were on vacation in Mexico. We will definitely stay here again when in San Diego and will highly recommend it too family and friends!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 17, 2009

This hotel was so convenient to old town, which I regularly frequent. I normally stay at another Old Town hotel but this was a spur of the moment trip and that hotel was booked so I checked online and found this one. What a great surprise. This hotel was very clean and everyone from the front desk to the gardener was so friendly and helpful. Great value for the money. I will definately stay here again. I have also recommended it to my friends that normally stay in other areas of San Diego.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I made the reservation for a king and I also stated in the comments that I would prefer a room with a view. Arrived to check in and they did have a room with a view. Went to our room and it was a queen, not a king and the view was partially of the city but also a palm tree smack in the middle of the view. Called the front desk and they said that it was an upgrade because I have a "view". There are also a LOT of stairs and the layout is very confusing. Nice hotel for the price. And there is one computer in the lobby and it was being repaired. Although I did not rent a car, I don't think that hotel guests should have to pay for parking on top of their room rate!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2009

This place was a disappointment. The setting is lovely, the grounds are beautifully kept and immaculately landscaped, the staff are good. Housekeeping was not good though: by 4 pm on our second day we had to go find someone to beg some clean towels and TP off of, and they were not that busy. Parking fee is a rip-off as are the GOUGING resort fees. The restaurant is not very good (worst of all places we ate). Old, tired bathroom with a toilet that did not flush properly - not very romantic. Overwhelming I5 traffic noise, and airport noise really ruined the otherwise nice setting. Transport this to another location, fix the bathroom and get better housekeeping, and I would possibly go back. As it is, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We loved the layout of this 5 acre hotel although we had difficulty finding our rooms. The hotel is beautiful with amazing views of the city. The location is perfect for walking around Old Town San Diego. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. My only complaint would be that the showers were not the greatest. But not a huge deal in my books. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you have any sort of mobility issues though as there are a lot of stairs and you need to walk a fair distance to use the elevators.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2009

PROS:

- Conveniently located in the heart of Old Town San Diego. Easy walking distance to quaint shops, historical buildings, and restaurants In Old Town.
- Lovely Hacienda-style hotel and decor.
- Price per evening was very reasonable.
- The hotel front desk was able to accommodate us with a last minute reservation.

CONS:

- Hotel charges you extra to park within the hotel garage premises (complimentary parking across the street).
- Hotel charges you a little extra on your tab for 2 in-room bottles of water and daily newspaper.
- Walls are thin. If you have the misfortune of having noisy people staying next to you or above you, you can hear every comment, bang, or noise they make.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My family and I have stayed here several times before since we always enjoyed our rooms and the service, but this time when I went with my boyfriend the hotel staff was terrible!

I put in a request when I first reserved our room for a certain room that my folks and I used to stay in. I was told there was no guarantees that I'd get that room (which was fine) but they'd be as accommodating as they could to give me a similar room. When my boyfriend and I went to check in the woman staff member that helped us was already unfriendly. She didn't seem like she knew what she was doing. She assigned us a room without looking at the special request I put in and when I mentioned my request she then stated that "someone, not her accidentally gave that room away that day." If she simply said that room wasn't available I'd be fine, but "accidentally" gave it away doesn't sound right to me. I then asked if I could get a similar room to what I originally requested and so she booked my boyfriend and me into room 411. Do not stay in that room! It has to be one of the worst rooms on the property.

When we got to the room we were very surprised. Walls were paper thin (could hear the neighbors the whole time), extremely small and has absolutely no view. I felt like we got downgraded from what we were originally supposed to have. We were paying 139 a night plus $12 dollars parking so we most certainly were not happy with this tiny room. When my boyfriend and I went back downstairs to request another room the manager came out and assured us that all the rooms were similar in size.

The manager and his employees need to actually go through all the rooms on the property to see how very different they all are. Very unprofessional of them to say the rooms are all similar in size. By his definition, similar most definitely sucked.

Since I have stayed at this hotel several times I know this not to be true. That is, the rooms are not all similar in size. Of the rooms I know I've stayed in is 403 and 407. Those rooms are both much much bigger than 411 and we paid much less for those rooms! What makes those rooms better is they have high ceilings, two full size beds (I believe they're full size and not queen), one fold out couch and a sitting area/patio right outside the room to enjoy a gorgeous San Diego sunset/sunrise and other views. I know my family has also stayed in the buildings higher up the hill which had similar layouts.

Since the manager seemed to be just bs'ing around and it was obvious he wasn't trying hard to find us another room we said "forget it since its too much of an inconvenience for you" and had to stay in our miserable room.

As if things couldn't get any worse, when we checked out of our room they charged us twice for parking!! So I had to go back in and at get refunded. The refund is the only thing they did right if you can even consider that right since they screwed up already. Gesh! These people must have never gotten any real training before being put at the front desk.

Thankfully we didn't stay in our room all that much since there is lots of great eating to do in Old Town like Old Town Mexican Restaurant which makes fresh warm flour and corn tortillas right in front of you.

Although this hotel is in the best location of Old Town San Diego, know you've been warned. Staff used to be nice, but as my review and current previous other reviews show, helpful staff is out of the question nowadays.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple