“Beautiful spot immediatelyi adjacent to Old Town”

Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town
Ranked #70 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here for three nights for a recent professional conference downtown. The hotel was close to public transportation (5-7 minute walk to the Old Town Tranportation Center) and just a block from the historic center of Old Town San Diego. The room was quite comfortable, clean and with plenty of ammenities. The hotel is laid out in several buildings connected by terraces and balconies, with palm trees and pretty gardens. A lovely place to sit out and read, rest, etc. The one criticism I have was the very mediocre meal I had in the Acapulco restaurant in the hotel. Despite being in the center of authentic Mexican history and other restaurants, the food tasted like the worst chain meal swimming in processed cheese. That one thing aside, I would highly reommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SomervilleReisender
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us while on business in San Diego! We’re glad you enjoyed spending time relaxing at the hotel and found our location so convenient. Also, your comments regarding Acapulco will be forwarded to the leadership team, for correction. We appreciate your seasoned recommendation and look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We recently stayed at this property for a business meeting. The first night when we arrived we were given a room we requested..a two room suite. Well we walked into this interior room in building 7 and were extremely disappointed. The suite was basically a room with a wall in the middle of it. It was very dark and we had a view of a local Old Town establishment's dumpster ( which was emptied around 5AM) we tried to switch but were told the hotel was sold out. The next morning, I called the front desk to request two adjoining rooms in a building that was brighter and did not feel like a cave. The front desk was extremely accommodating. They were able to place us in the first flor 800 building, not a great view but bright. It felt like we were staying at a totally different hotel. I want to commend the AM front desk staff for their excellent service. Our only regret was that we had not started out in this configuration. We had one night of very little sleep, packed our bags and left them in the trunk until the new rooms were ready, and got a very late start to enjoying our only "free time" day in San Diego.

The breakfasts at the Acapulco Restaurant were fine. Our breakfast waiter was very pleasant as was everyone else on the staff. My husband loved the scrambled eggs with onions, pepper, and ham.

If I had based this review on the first night's stay it would only be one star. However, based on night's two and three, I can honestly give it four stars.

Room Tip: Stay away from building seven unless you like small compact suites. You will have more room in a dou...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank joanf
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am pleased our staff came through for your second and third nights with us; they will be recognized for their service excellence. Our buildings were built in stages, and offer a variety of room configurations and views. That makes it easy to accommodate most preferences of guests based on our occupancy level. Next time business or pleasure brings you back to San Diego, let us know in advance so we can make sure to assign you to the location you desire. Thank you again!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Went down to Old Town and wanted a close in hotel. You can't get much closer than this one! I was expecting a run of the mill BW, clean but nothing to go ga-ga over. Well I was wrong, This hotel is wonderful. The lobby was inviting and cozy, the front desk staff courteous and very helpful, the landscaping around the hotel was superb, all kinds of succulents and flowers in large containers, etc. Our room was clean and airy and the bed and pillows comfy and soft. The free breakfast isn't anything gourmet but still bacon, eggs, potatoes, waffles, cereal, muffins, toast, coffee and juice. When you consider the location (just a couple of blocks before the action begins) and the niceness of the hotel, you can't beat it. Highly recommend..

Room Tip: would say stay away from rooms by the pool, kids at night screaming but staff does make them stop a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wildjflippin2016

Thank you for the recommendation! We are pleased to have exceeded your expectations in every way!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My family and I stayed here while my daughter had a soccer tournament over a weekend in February. Just to tell you how much we love this place, her tournament was in Miramar and we chose to stay here rather than anywhere else! We had our 10-year-old so thats why we prefer this quiet part of San diego rather than downtown. Its got A LOT of stuff to do within walking distance WITHOUT all the noise and traffic downtown San Diego. The reason we choose to stay here every time we drive down here is because you really feel the Old Town charm when you stay at "the Hacienda" :-) The style of the hotel is great and authentic and the staff is superb. Ive never had any complaints except this last time, which is why i couldnt give them 4 stars.

The front desk gave us what they considered their best building, Building 5,and the walk wasnt as bad as the layout suggests, thanks to elevators. Unfortunately, because it is an older building, the neighbors above us were either rehearsing a play all night or ON something!! The second night we were there, we finally called in the middle of the night, and they said that room was being evacuated. Sad to say, the noise continued thru the night and into the morning so I dont know if I was hearing ghosts or if management told me what I wanted to hear. Either way, I complained to the manager-on-dutyin the morning and they let us stay a third night for a very discounted price (although I would have preferred FREE) and made us feel a lot better about oour situation, like they CARED, you know?

So my recommendation to those who need to go to bed early and rise even earlier, like we did for my daughters game: Ask for a top-level room! That will be your best bet! If not, you should be fine because EVERY time we've stayed her for other reasons, we've never had a problem. We will definitely be staying here again!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for bringing your family to stay with us again and having confidence in our hospitality. I also appreciate your compliment of our staff. Regarding the issue you experienced, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it caused. We take noise complaints very seriously. After reading your review, I am investigating the reason why the guest was not asked to leave, whether it was another room or what about the situation changed from when you spoke to the front desk. I am happy to hear it did not dampen your intent to stay with us again based on our staff responsiveness and your previous positive experiences. We look forward to earning that fifth star on your next visit!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Trek459
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here recently and were amazed at the size of our room. It was a 2 queen double and was twice the size of most hotel rooms of that description. It was very clean and walking distance to all the restaurants, shops, and attractions of old town. Also close to the trolley tour stop and other public transportation. There was no breakfast included, but the restaurant attached to the hotel complex was very good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyn865

Thank you for the outstanding overall ratings! I am delighted you enjoyed Acapulco restaurant and the convenience of our location in Old Town. We hope you will stay with us again on your next San Diego adventure!