“Expensive and Run Down”

Ranked #20 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
denver,co
“Expensive and Run Down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

Very expensive for what you are getting! It is beach front, which is great; but the beach and the board walk is so dirty! The pool and hot tub are good and the kids enjoyed their time there.
The hotel is extremely old and run down. The rooms are OK and the staff is doing everything possible to please you. There is a fee for parking and there is no complimentary breakfast. I used my Best Western Rewards for my stay, but had I paid for the room I would have cried! It is just too expensive!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2010
Greetings from the entire team at The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. It was disappointing to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay however we do appreciate all guest feedback, both the good and not so good. Judging from your review we were not able to deliver on what we promise and that is exceeding all of our guest’s expectations. Although we would never describe our hotel as run down we will admit that there are some areas that could be improved. If it is any consolation we do have plans to begin numerous renovations come 2011. We also want to mention that all reviews are taken extremely seriously and everything that you mentioned in your review will be taken into consideration.

In closing, thank you again for going out of your way and writing a review about our hotel. Trip Advisor is quickly becoming the leading website for travel research internationally allowing us to reach out to guests we would otherwise not have the opportunity to host.

Guest Service Team

The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

First trip to San Diego. You cannot beat the location - ocean front right at the Mission Beach board walk. Everything is a walking distance away - restaurants, stores, even the Belmont Park. It's centrally located, so we were able to drive to the must see destinations (Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Midway, LegoLand, etc.). They have a heated pool overlooking the beach. And the rooms are so roomy with all the extra ammenities (fridge, microwave). We had a wonderful time staying here for a week - will definitely be back

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. It is always great to hear stories about someone’s first trip to San Diego especially if they are positive and include our hotel!

I was also happy to hear that you were able to walk away looking forward to your next visit, hopefully your next trip is as memorable as your first.

Thanks again and I wish you the best in your future travels.

St. Albert, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

I stayed here October 15-17 2010 and found the rooms to be clean but needing renovations. Our patio door didn't close properly, the screen door fell out and the A/C leaked water on the floor all night and made noises. With the A/C, we had to be creative to get rid of the annoying "drip, drip, drip" noise so we used the ironing board and a towel to act as a deflector to stop the dripping noise. (LOL!)

Thankfully, there were no bed bugs- we checked everywhere! The bedding and towels were fine, no complaints there. On the upside, the hotel is in a great location if you want to be close to the beach because it is on the water. It was also 10 minutes from everywhere: airport, Sea World, downtown, etc.

I don't think I would stay there again. (If I was a surfer, maybe)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. At the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge we strive to consistently exceed your expectations. Unfortunately judging from your response it does not seem that you walked away 100% satisfied after your stay with us. In regards to the problems that you experienced I want to take this chance to apologize. Although I am not certain you will ever have the chance to read this response, I want you to know at the Blue Sea Lodge it is our goal to deliver enjoyable stays to all of our valued guests. The fact that you had to endure a leaky AC unit throughout your stay is absolutely unacceptable. I only wish that this issue had reached me prior to your departure so that I could have resolved the problem. Moving forward I would love for you to give us another chance if you are ever back in the San Diego area. Perhaps during your next stay we will be able to do a better job delivering on what we promise.

PS - I also wanted to briefly mention that we have plans to begin numerous renovation projects come 2011. Hopefully this will provide our hotel a nice “face lift” and help our guests to feel more at home when vacationing with us.

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

This was our second visit to San Diego and our second stay at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge. We had an ocean-view room each visit, once on the ground floor and once on the top (third floor). We loved seeing and hearing the ocean, watching the surfers any time of day and people-watching in the mornings and evenings as people went by on the boardwalk. Our favorite place to eat is right across the street; you can't beat the World Famous restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant even allowed me to order from the kids' menu! We enjoyed long walks along the boardwalk and spent one day playing in the surf after renting wetsuits and boogie boards from a local surf shack. We also enjoyed riding rented Segways on the boardwalk, along Mission Bay and in the nearby park. Everything we wanted to do for relaxation and fun is within walking distance of this hotel. Our room was great; large, with a microwave and refrigerator (handy for World Famous leftovers). We enjoyed grabbing lattes and bagels from the cafe in the early mornings and made sure to check at the front desk each afternoon for complimentary chocolate chip cookies. The free Wi-Fi service was a boon for our daughter's iTouch and my husband's laptop. We used the hot tub every day and swam in the pool as well. Both are well-situated right on the boardwalk! We are planning our next visit next month and will stay at the Best Western again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2010
Greetings,

As always it is great to hear from a guest who truly made the most of their visit to our beautiful hotel. I was extremely happy to read about all the activities you were able to fit into your 2 stays and I look forward to hearing more when you come back next month. Personally I am very curious about your experience renting Segway's. They always look like fun but I haven’t had the opportunity to try one yet. Maybe you guys can convince me to rent one myself next day off.

boston ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

We've been coming to the Pacific Beach area for over 16 years and couldn't believe our luck staying at the Blue Sea Lodge. Full Ocean view room, excellent location for everything all within walking distance, Restraurants, shopping, nightlife.
Location, location, location this place has it all, can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chrisandlarrym
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2010
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our hotel. I think that when most of our guests look back on their trips to The Blue Sea Lodge the first thing that comes to mind is location, location, location! The 3 most important variables to any business of course. However at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge we believe that location is simply not enough. Although we are located directly on the sands of Pacific Beach we like to believe that aside from Location, Service, Value, and Cleanliness is what brings our guests back year after year.

It is great to see that you are one of these guests who continues to frequently visit our property and I look forward to meeting you during your next stay.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

What a marvellous stay at Blue Sea Lodge Pacific Beach AGAIN. Frankie and Melissa you are absolute gems worth double your pay, no matter what my query it was attended to. At check in Melissa could not do more than give me so room choices and yes a partial ocean view really good rate and it was like home away from home. The only negative is the noise from other hotel guests in the lobby. Now the pool towels are still like nappies so please spend some $$$ on adult size pool towels. The Hotel does need some TLC but overall it is clean and a really great place to hang your beach towel. The sand of Pacific Beach is a few steps from the hotel pool and the sights along the promenade well what can one say FANTASTIC. Local restaurants in abundance World Famous opposite Blue Sea Lodge, Gringoes a few blocks walk with margaritas to die for. Local bus at the hotel door so easy travel to Old Town, Downtown San Diego as well as Balboa Park. If you want to stock up on your own essentials Ralphs supermarket a few blocks walk. Local shopping along Garnet St is retail therapy heaven especially Panagaea Outpost. Thank you for another great stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
You are very welcome and thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor!

I have already passed along your praise of Melissa and Frankie and they are very appreciative of the shout out. Moving forward I hope that I have the opportunity to meet you during your next visit. it is always a pleasure meeting someone who truly enjoyed their stay to the extent that they wanted to share their experience with other travelers.

Thank you again and I wish you the best in your future travels.

Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

We had such a great time at teh Blue Sea Lodge. The location is perfect for the entire family. Enough action for the kids and adults and just the right mix of also the ability to get away from the boradwalk. The room was clean and the pool area was nice. We will definately go again! The manager, Jason Templer, was very helpful and nice. I think it was our BEST experience in SanDiego and we have been going for many years!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wow,

I was so happy to learn that you thought your last stay with us was your BEST stay while visiting San Diego. This is the ultimate compliment that can be paid to any hotel and I have to thank you for sharing your experience with the world on TripAdvisor.com. The fact that you took the time to write a review and recognize us will not be forgotten. Please be sure to contact me the next time you plan on visiting Beautiful Pacific Beach. Hopefully we will exceed your expectations again making your next stay even better than the last.