“Great Location! clean room”

Blue Sea Beach Hotel
Ranked #20 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
New York City
“Great Location! clean room”
Reviewed August 9, 2007

The hotel location is great, next to all the shops and beach. Booked room on the first floor with partial ocean view. The room has a mirror placed at a smart angle that allows you to see the ocean from inside the room. Try staying at the west building, its closer to the beach. No significant street or party noise.
The bad: parking was $10 a day, restaurant is small and limited to breakfast, if you don't like crowds or high traffic try another hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
barrie, ontario
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Went with my husband, my 15yr old and our 5 yr old, stayed in a 2 bed suite, had a great kitchen, living room area, comfortable bed, bathroom only had a shower though, not great for small kids in that aspect. Stayed on a weekend, had a suite with a beach front view, private balcony was fantastic. It was romantic, yet had lots of action for the kids, a lot of teenagers in the area and couples, great for honeymoon or family, yet the younger crowd was there too. It's one of the only beaches in California that you can drink on so the young kids are around, but it's not rough or loud surprisingly. We all loved it and would go back in an instant, very beautiful, clean, classy.

• Liked — location, the private balcony, the sea side view, the roar of the ocean, the quality of the rooms
  • Disliked — the card key entrance to the rooms, you have to keep them seperate from bank cards or they deactivate the card key
  • Tips/Secrets — been there 2 times, a little chilly in winter, go in May, they have a fantastic Pacific Beach Street party they close the streets off and have vendors, activities for kids, music, skateboard contests, lots of food. awesome clothes deals
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank pennysandnickles
estero, fl
Reviewed October 15, 2006

We just returned from a 8 night stay at this motel and this was our first visit to San Diego . This motel is divided into two buildings, the back bdlg faces the street and has been refurbished. The front bldg faces the pool and the beach, we stayed in room 354 in the front bldg as we wanted a view, I was told on the phone each room had was like a suite, wrong, only the front rooms are suites. Our room looked like a old motel room in dire need of repairs, we had 7 hangers each (we went out and bought some) 3 small drawers, a small frig, a microwave and a small patio overlooking a rooftop of a bldg next to us. You can tell this is a hotel that kids like as it is close to the local hangouts and bars. If you want quiet, this is NOT the place to stay.
My daughter also stayed here and they had to be moved twice before they could settle on a room that looked clean. We would not stay here again, for the price of 2900 (2 room) we could have rented a condo for a week. ($15.00 tax a day, 8.00 a day parking)

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Not enough room .
  • Tips/Secrets — Look into renting a condo instead
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank floridagirl288
victoria b.c
Reviewed September 29, 2006

We loved the hotel its right on beach. Its right near all popular restraunts . The blue sea lodge staff was helpfull. IF you stay there make sure you get one of the front suites they over look the boardwalk .highly recomend the parking is a little tight room was great and very clean . W.kaye vic b.c canada

• Liked — close to ocean
  • Disliked — pool
  • Tips/Secrets — world famous and joes crap shack
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bk4444
New York City
Reviewed September 3, 2006

It's three days pass since I came back from my vacation @ San Diego. The hotel location was just right for me it's across from the beach, just the boardwalk separating it. In the early evening you could catch the sunset which is gorgeous. Make sure you book an oceanfront . My mistake, I didn't believed the reviews that it's worth getting the oceanfront. I booked just the ordinary room w/ king size bed. I got there early and the room wasn't ready until 3p.m. which is their check-in time so I had to wait. Have the chance to walk and survey area for restaurants. Came back and check-in to my booked room.... The size was okay but what I didn't like about it was the view of the wall from the next door building. Na-ah, not working for me. So went back to front desk, and requested for another room available with a view. Offered me an oceanfront with upgraded fee-checked it out first before I said ok. Love it, accepted it and the rest was history. My BIG advise GET an OCEANFRONT VIEW, it's worth it. Cleanliness rank ok. And forgot to tell you, It includes a flat screen t.v. in the rooom-COOL. Downside:No generator in cases of brownouts which I experienced during my stay. Meaning no wake-up call. Good thing I got out of bed just in time for my appointment

• Liked — The Oceanfront view room w/ comfy king size bed, and front desk personnels
  • Disliked — No generator when needed
  • Tips/Secrets — Book an oceanfront view room 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank RedCharrlize
Tempe, AZ
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Sometimes you just have to put things in perspective. I am from So. Cal and also lived in Hawaii, the ocean does tremondous damage to buildings along the shore, just a reality. Places try to keep up, but when people like me leave the windows open all day and night and let the indcreible breeze and sounds of the waves come in, you will get a musty smell.

Yes the beach can get noisy, and yes we had some, but still being on the ocean out weights that too!

We reserved an ocean front King room for the weekend, July 7th-9th. I paid whatever I had to to get that room and it was a lot. You see I have cancer and undergoing Chemo treatments. For me it was worth the price, the noise, the small parking spaces. Just to sit on my balcony and see the ocean, I cannot go out in the sun, so I looked from our room. I would also rise at dawn and go out at sunset and walk the beach each day.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank eitter
Tempe, AZ
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Blue Sea Lodge recently for 3 days/nights during the week and had a wonderful time. We reserved an ocean front room and got exactly that. Our balcony overlooked the boardwalk, beach and ocean. While I did find the room to be a bit small (I think my last hotel room in NYC was larger) it was more than adequate for the two of us and the little time we spent in it. The bed was comfy, the flatscreen TV awesome and the bathroom clean and updated. Our maid did a fantastic job of cleaning the room as soon as we asked (we never even ran into her/him) and was even able to get all the sand out of the tub every time. The staff was helpful and pleasant to deal with. We had no trouble with noisy neighbors but, we were on the third floor. We did find the beach to be a bit noisy so, we soon learned it best to close the balcony door at night and for afternoon naps. Otherwise, it was great to sit outside and people watch. My theory is, after reading other reviews, that the type of room you reserve/ask for determines whether or not your stay in pleasurable. You definitely get what you pay for. Spend a little extra and book a renovated ocean front room and you shouldn't be disappointed. Book a "city/garden view" or a non-renovated room and you get parking lots, public restrooms and frustration. I would stay here again (in a ocean front room) in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2006