“Excellent location, excellent service - a real gem for our travelling team.”

Blue Sea Beach Hotel
Ranked #26 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 21, 2010

When we first started looking for hotels for our school's baseball team, we were thinking the Blue Sea Lodge (Best Western) might be out of our price range. The staff at the Blue Sea Lodge, however, were able to give us a rate that turned out to be well worth it. The hotel is located right on the "boardwalk" and within walking distance of a large variety of restaurants (from fast food to fancy), as well as a supermaket and pharmacy. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with each one having a balcony view (even if just a sliver) of the water. The staff -- both front desk and management -- were fantastic! Very friendly and helpful, and willing to give out coupons for discounts or preferred service at a number of restaurants. Lowell's baseball players said it was the "best" place they've stayed at so far!

• Stayed: March 2010
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2010

Wow, thank you so much for the amazing review. Personally I don’t think I could have come up with a better heading myself. “Excellent Location” and “Excellent Service” are definitely our two best qualities and are probably the two things that are recognized most by our guests. However describing our property as “A Real Gem” is an incredible complement. A Gem to me is something that is rare and valuable. In today’s highly competitive hospitality industry it is almost impossible to find a property that has everything you are looking for at an affordable cost. At the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge we offer our guests the best of both worlds; World class views and central location at a competitive rate. It is our goal to provide our guests the resort experience without the high resort cost. Simply stated we want all of our visiting guests to agree that the Blue Sea Lodge is a true “Gem”.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your experience at our property. On behalf of the entire staff at The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge we look forward to serving you during your next visit.

Reviewed March 24, 2010

We have stayed at the Blue Sea Lodge for the last couple years. The staff are always friendly and if they said they will honor a request, we have been able to count on it ! Be prepared to pay extra for parking but really liked the handy, off street parking in the hotel's basement garage. The rooms are older but very comfortable with an area with a small table and chairs for morning coffee. We really appreciate how clean the rooms are and the maid service is just the best. Always happy to return to our room, beds made, bathroom clean and restocked with plenty of towels. We even had a little kitchen area this time with sink, counter space and storage.( With a Ralph's Grocery right down the street it is really handy to pick up snacks or things we have forgotten to bring) We really enjoy the ocean views and sound of the waves from our balcony facing the pool! Doesn't get much better than walking from our hotel across the pool area and onto the beach! (And really like the security of using our key card to reenter the pool area from the beach) Been awakened by loud talking from the pool area at night a few times but figured it was "Spring Break" and we still like the poolside room location. We enjoy the great restuarants within walking distance, anything from fresh fish, BBQ ribs, pizza, sandwiches, just about anything. We rented bikes just down the street (found prices varied from shop to shop) and enjoyed riding on nice wide sidewalks around the beautiful bay just a couple minutes bike ride from the hotel. Lots of things to do and not enough vacation time to do it all in....Maybe next year.....

2  Thank susanne008
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2010

I would like to thank you for the kind words in regards to your recent visit to the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge. We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to review our property on Trip Advisor and share your thoughts with us.

Both myself and the rest of the management team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I have been sure to share your comments with the entire staff. At the Blue Sea Lodge we take pride in extending to our guests the highest level of service. It is guests like you that make all the difference in the world, and we humbly request that you share your experience with others. Trip Advisor has become the premiere location for travel research internationally. Your feedback about our hotel and the staff will be read by millions and could potentially help us to reach out to travelers that we would otherwise not have the opportunity to host.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review The Best Western Blue Sea Lodge. I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit. Please feel free to contact me or my staff if we may be of any further assistance.

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2010

My wife and I went to the Blue Sea for our anniversary getaway, and had a great time. The view was wonderful, looking directly out on Pacific Beach and the boardwalk, and we could hear the ocean and sit on the balcony and drink our coffee. The room had a nice king-size bed too. The common area had a good jacuzzi and pool. Everything was clean and neat. We walked to a nearby restaurant for our evening dinner, and there were breakfast places all along the boardwalk.. The staff was pleasant and helpful (..even took our picture for us!). We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Jason Templer, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2010

My staff and I are extremely happy to hear about the great experience you had while staying with us. I have personally forwarded your insight to my housekeeping and front desk departments as they both always appreciate any positive comments. My housekeeping manager in particular was very pleased that you found the entire hotel “clean and neat” as it is housekeeping’s goal to deliver this appearance to all of our valued guests. Once again thank you for your feedback and on behalf of the entire staff at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge we look forward to serving you during your next visit to Pacific Beach, San Diego.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

Because if word gets out that the BLUE SEA is the hottest ticket on the beach, I might not be able to book a room anymore!
Hey Blue Sea! Thanks Tons for being so helpful and friendly. So much is close by and the surfing was good. I love that it takes only a couple of minutes to La Jolla up north or 15 minutes to Mexico. Cruising up and down the coast to tour and shop in Gas Lamp, Old Town and Coronado.
I came to San Diego last weekend and you all were so great! I convinced my rugby team to stay @ the Blue Sea and we are so happy we did!
Unfortunately, when my rugby team got back to Seattle, it was Snowing!
Still, I will be back and you can count on my reserving a room with you! That is if they aren't all booked up! ;o)
Cheers,
~S~

ps, sorry we left all those Gatorade bottles in the 2nd floor room...I didn't' know. Hope you can use them...;o)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Jason Templer, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2010

Thank you for the taking the time to review our property on the Trip Advisor website. Trip Advisor has become the premiere location for travel research online. Your information about our location draws attention to what I feel is our number one attribute setting our property apart from hundreds of other hotels in San Diego. We are not only centrally located which allows for easy access to destinations such as Sea World but we are also located directly on the sand in the heart of Pacific Beach. I will be sure to pass along your comments to my staff as they will appreciate that you and your group enjoyed yourself while staying with us. In the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to personally assist with your next trip to San Diego. Also don’t worry about the Gatorade bottles they were all recycled after you checked out. Thanks Again!

Reviewed March 10, 2010

Right on the beach in an area known for it's surf.. this hotel is basic, very clean with a wonderfully helpful staff. The decor is dated, the view - timeless. We slept to the sound of the Pacific surf and in the am enjoyed our coffee as we sat on our balcony and watched the surfers and beach joggers.
We travelled to many areas of San Diego and found this hotel area to be safe and conveniently located,
The front desk was well staffed and personnel were very pleasant and ready to be of assistance.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Jason Templer, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2010

On behalf of the entire staff at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. Over the past few years Trip Advisor has become the premier location for travel research online. Your comments could potentially be read by hundreds of our prospective guests. It is truly a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Cleanliness, Customer Service, and Fabulous Ocean Views are just a few of our strengths and once again thank you for drawing attention to them. I will be sure to share you positive comments with my co-workers and I look forward to serving you during your next trip to Pacific Beach.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

I just stayed at the Blue Sea Lodge in San Diego in February with my travel group. We were all going on a Carnival cruise out of San Diego and decided to have a pre-cruise function for 2 nights prior to the cruise. The BW Blue Sea Lodge was a great place for our party. The location is beautiful and right on the beach. Restaurants, shops, spas and all the conveniences are right at your door step. The rooms have all been updated and are spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful too!

• Stayed: February 2010

Greetings from the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge,

I would just like to take a moment to thank you for reviewing our property on Trip Advisor. At the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge we are dedicated to our guests and we were delighted to learn that our hotel was perfect for your pre-cruise party. Although our hotel is best known for its beautiful location and spectacular views, it is our ability to take care of our guests that keeps customers returning year after year. With that said I hope to see you again in the near future and look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit. Please feel free to contact me or my staff if we may be of any further assistance.

Reviewed February 6, 2010

I was so pleased to really be right on the ocean, the town car was waiting for me at the airport even tho my arrival was very early, they had a room ready for me, knowing I was coming so early and not making me have to store all my luggage behind the front desk until 12 noon was surprisingly thoughtful. I found out after I arrived at the lobby that there was supposed to be a fee associated with the car ride but it was waived when I'm sure I looked surprised and mentioned that the free shuttle service was one of the reasons I choose the hotel. I was ready to pay, but the person in charge that day said it would be taken care of and wanted to know which website I had booked with. Today, I had a computer crisis, one that started last night. Melissa, is the nite clerk, and she is so helpful and happy to be helpful. she really deserves a raise, as she helped me last night with computer stuff--not even in her job description I'm sure, but was so kind, made some phone calls to get more advce, etc. She made me feel as if nothing was too much trouble. And the computer got up and running. We decided to just leave it on...
No luck with that, so this morning down to the front desk I go and I'm told the Radio Shack isn't too far and they are willing to look at it. Well, it was quite a walk, but I got there only to find I would be purchasing a new laptop at Staples across the street. I stop at Ralph's (local grocery store that is very close 4-5 blocks, 10 minute walk/stroll and this is great as your room has a fridge, sink and microwave) on the way back and consider buying my own bottle of tequila... As I stroll in to the lobby I menton that that was quite a jaunt you sent me on, all three woman behind the counter had dropped jaws and truly surprised looks. They thought I had a car! I was offered a taxi when I needed to go back and pick up my new down-loaded computer. I asked the ball-park cost of that and the manager, Catherine B. spoke right up and said she would be happy to drive me over when the store called back. How nice is that I ask you? She piped right up and said her job was to help me enjoy my stay, all aspects of my stay. I have to say that between Melissa and Catherine, I could have had a bad association with my stay here, but I only have great things to say about the location, the friendly (over used I know, but really, happy friendliness, not the kind that you know 'it's just their job to act like they care) assistance with a problem that was really none of their responsibility makes me want this hotel to continue to be a success and popular. The boardwalk is right off the pool area and there are plenty of local places to eat within a five minute walk, bike rentals, surf board rentals, lots to do and a few touristy shops as well; T-shirts, beach chairs, etc.
The pirce for this great stay was so very reasonable--I thought I could never afford to stay 'on the beach', but this hotel did exactly that. Don't hesitate to book your stay here.
Thanks again to Melissa and Manager Catherine B.--you both deserve a raise, as Ihave no doubt you treat everyone this well all the time.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank birthroot1
BlueSeaLodgeAGM, Jason Templer, Assistant General Manager at Blue Sea Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2010

Thank you so much for the great review. It is guests like you that make all the difference in the world. Your kind words and overall satisfaction is what makes working in the hospitality industry worthwhile to me and my associates. As the new Assistant General Manager of Best Western Blue Sea Lodge it is good to know that my staff truly does care about our guests. Beyond this your review proves that they are 100% capable of delivering exceptional customer service. Moving forward I promise you that it will be my goal as AGM to keep my staff motivated and focused so that every guest leaves our hotel as happy and satisfied as you did. Thank you again for sharing your review with Trip Advisor and please be sure to contact me directly the next time you plan on visiting beautiful San Diego.