“Smoky - not non Smoking”

Blue Sea Beach Hotel
Ranked #18 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The hotel is OK The staff are friendly. However, they advertise as a non-smoking hotel and the hallways and pool are smoky. In fact, with the glass enclosure around the pool it retains the cigarette smoke and you can't breathe. We had to go to the beach to get away from the smell. As well, a large group of at least 15 young people in their late 20's spent the day at the pool smoking and drinking all day and night. By night they were quite drunk and the smoke was so intense that I couldn't even go on our balcony and we were on the third floor. So, unless they change their smoking policy we won't be back. Apparently, it is fine for them to smoke and drink at the pool all day. There were cigarette butts under the spray shower that you use upon returning from the beach - quite gross.

Also they were out of pool towels. They need one more internet site at the office as it is lined up all the time.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed October 19, 2009

We liked this place - it's a good affordable option in Pacific Beach

Pros:
Great location right on the beach.
Easy Parking ($12/night)
Clean - I even saw housekeeping washing the comforters (I am never sure if hotels do that)
We had an ocean view queen and we had a great view of the ocean - we were in room 231.
Free wireless Internet
Pacific Beach is convenient for seeing the sights in San Diego.

Cons:
The furnishings were a bit outdated and the common hallways could use an update.
Noise - we could hear people in other rooms (mostly the doors opening and closing) so the rooms could be better soundproofed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vdbtravel
Reviewed October 13, 2009

If you love the beach, this is the place to stay. We had an ocean front room, they all have balconies, so you can enjoy the view. You are right on the beach. The rooms are clean and well kept. The staff is helpful and friendly.

The Boardwalk is a great place to walk, run, rollerblade or shop. You are close to Sea World, downtown San Diego, lots to do in this area.

The only place we stay when we visit Southern California.

Reviewed October 13, 2009

Hotel is right on the beach! We had a full ocean view and were able to sleep with the sliding door open so we could hear the sound of the surf all night. Location is so convenient - right near the freeway so easy access to other sights and the airport. Tony Roma's is right across the street.

Room was very spacious and had a refrigerator and microwave. Balcony was fairly large (compared to most places) and was a terrific spot to enjoy morning coffee. We didn't use them, but our room was just a few steps away from the pool and hot tub. There was also free wireless in the room and it worked well. We will definitely stay here again.

Reviewed October 9, 2009

I have written before regarding this location. I also feel it is important to recognize great service each time we experience it.

Per typical, of my stay here everyone is so helpful, thoughtful and make my time here so pleasant.

Rubin the manager has certainly proven to be a top leader. Having been a highly recognized customer service account manager myself with many awards (from a large well known corporation), I know that this type of great attitude from employees this a trickle down attitude from the top. Everyone from the maintainence man to the front desk are so kind, nice and upbeat. They make me feel at home which is very important to me, having to travel to San Diego so far from home and take care of necessary business frequently. It is comforting to know I have a place to go to that is so inviting.

I now look forward to making this trip, which before discovering the Blue Sea Lodge, was grulling and troubling.

Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I hate to spent more than $100 for a hotel, but booked this with a patial view as a retirement present at an average of about $140 for 6 nights. They gave me a great room with a great view (instead of a patial), looking over the pool and ocean.

Hotel is old and somewhat noisy, but I enjoyed my stay. I tried to rebook 4 times now, but cannot get myself to spent over $150 for an old hotel. Average quality room and no benies. As a matter of fact, they closed the hot tub for repair on night 4.

Just don't think it is worth much more than $100

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2009

My new husband and I stayed here in late May, 2009, for our honeymoon in San Diego. Being in the Pacific Beach area, there were some partiers around, but nothing disturbing. Management and hotel employees made sure order was maintained. Blue Sea Lodge was right across the boardwalk from the beach and within walking distance of Yogurtland - a favorite of ours, as well as grocery stores, restaurants, shops, etc. Parking was manageable (we recommend a smaller car, esp if you have a choice of rentals).

Breakfast wasn't self-serve, so it took a little longer to get in and out, esp. if you had big days of sightseeing ahead. We were kind of wondering why it wasn't set up as self-serve, as it would have been more convenient for guests, I would think. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. The bagel sandwiches were fine.

It was handy having a fridge and microwave in the room, as many of the evening meals were so plentiful that near the end of our stay we had at least two nights' worth of leftovers to consume.

One of the best things was having the sliding glass door open at any time of day or night and being able to hear the waves washing up on the beach...very relaxing and romantic! :)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple