“Fantastic!”

Blue Sea Beach Hotel
Ranked #18 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Hotel is right on the beach! We had a full ocean view and were able to sleep with the sliding door open so we could hear the sound of the surf all night. Location is so convenient - right near the freeway so easy access to other sights and the airport. Tony Roma's is right across the street.

Room was very spacious and had a refrigerator and microwave. Balcony was fairly large (compared to most places) and was a terrific spot to enjoy morning coffee. We didn't use them, but our room was just a few steps away from the pool and hot tub. There was also free wireless in the room and it worked well. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed October 9, 2009

I have written before regarding this location. I also feel it is important to recognize great service each time we experience it.

Per typical, of my stay here everyone is so helpful, thoughtful and make my time here so pleasant.

Rubin the manager has certainly proven to be a top leader. Having been a highly recognized customer service account manager myself with many awards (from a large well known corporation), I know that this type of great attitude from employees this a trickle down attitude from the top. Everyone from the maintainence man to the front desk are so kind, nice and upbeat. They make me feel at home which is very important to me, having to travel to San Diego so far from home and take care of necessary business frequently. It is comforting to know I have a place to go to that is so inviting.

I now look forward to making this trip, which before discovering the Blue Sea Lodge, was grulling and troubling.

Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I hate to spent more than $100 for a hotel, but booked this with a patial view as a retirement present at an average of about $140 for 6 nights. They gave me a great room with a great view (instead of a patial), looking over the pool and ocean.

Hotel is old and somewhat noisy, but I enjoyed my stay. I tried to rebook 4 times now, but cannot get myself to spent over $150 for an old hotel. Average quality room and no benies. As a matter of fact, they closed the hot tub for repair on night 4.

Just don't think it is worth much more than $100

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2009

My new husband and I stayed here in late May, 2009, for our honeymoon in San Diego. Being in the Pacific Beach area, there were some partiers around, but nothing disturbing. Management and hotel employees made sure order was maintained. Blue Sea Lodge was right across the boardwalk from the beach and within walking distance of Yogurtland - a favorite of ours, as well as grocery stores, restaurants, shops, etc. Parking was manageable (we recommend a smaller car, esp if you have a choice of rentals).

Breakfast wasn't self-serve, so it took a little longer to get in and out, esp. if you had big days of sightseeing ahead. We were kind of wondering why it wasn't set up as self-serve, as it would have been more convenient for guests, I would think. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. The bagel sandwiches were fine.

It was handy having a fridge and microwave in the room, as many of the evening meals were so plentiful that near the end of our stay we had at least two nights' worth of leftovers to consume.

One of the best things was having the sliding glass door open at any time of day or night and being able to hear the waves washing up on the beach...very relaxing and romantic! :)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I brought my HS Cross Country team for a two night stay and it was amazing! The kids faces just lit up when they saw how close we actually were to the beach. The rooms were very nice sized and clean. We wish we could of stayed in the courtyard area around the pool as that would of be so convient, but we were in the other building and it was fine as well. The beach area was clean and not overly crowded, SO MUCH FUN!! A special thanks goes out to the staff at the BSL and especially Jen Cruz! She is amazing and so helpful. I will stay here everychance I get!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Our family with young children stayed at this motel for two nights during the week before Labor Day weekend. The location is absolutely phenomenal. It's literally steps from Pacific Beach. The motel pool and hot tub are directly on the boardwalk, with an incredible ocean view. There is no need to drive anywhere during your stay as everything is within walking distance--restaurants, shops, a grocery store.

The pool area is nothing special, but it was clean, and had plenty of places to sit or lounge. Pool towels, although very skimpy and threadbare, are provided by the pool, which is always nice. The nearby outdoor shower is very handy after coming from the beach.

Parking is on site, with the usual beach location parking fee. There is also an underground garage, which, although has very tight spaces, is a nice, secure feature.

Our room was on the second floor, and had a fantastic view of the ocean. The rooms are cleverly designed with a wall-size mirror by the balcony, to give you an ocean view even when you're not facing the ocean. The rooms have a kitchenette with a mini-fridge and microwave and kitchen sink.

The room was relatively clean in terms of the kitchen and bathroom area, but the carpet was horribly dirty. Our childrens' socks/feet were stained black after just minutes of walking around the room. Granted, it's a beach location, but it was very obvious that the carpet had not been cleaned in a very, very long time. Ironically, the carpet in the hallways was in the process of being cleaned while we were there, so perhaps there are plans to clean the carpet in the rooms too.

The location is the best thing about this motel. And, it is a motel, plain and simple. We had lower expectations, so we weren't disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I checked in to the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge on Saturday, August 22nd for a three night stay. The hotel was at 100% occupancy, but check in was speedy and the staff was very friendly. I reserved a room with a king bed and partial ocean view and got just that. My room overlooked the pool and I could see a slice of Mission Beach.

I had one complaint - the location of my room next the elevator. I want to tell you how they turned a not very serious problem into a wonderful experience. I'm a light sleeper and I could hear the frequently used elevator. Please note that this was a Saturday night during the peak of the season and late night guests coming and going should be expected. I mentioned my trouble sleeping to a manager (Kathy) and she asked if I would like to move to a different room, which I willingly accepted.

I got lucky because they gave me an upgrade to a room with an ocean front view and it made my short holiday just fantastic. I LOVE the ocean view, right over Mission Beach and the Boardwalk. I enjoyed watching the surfers, and all the people walking, skating, or peddling up and down the boardwalk. Just a tad bit up the boardwalk from the hotel is World Famous, a great place to eat with a long line of people outside waiting to get in to this popular spot. As I was relaxing on my deck one evening, I was pleasantly suprised to see street performers entertaining the crowd waiting outside World Famous.

I loved my rooms. The partial ocean view king bed room has a great sunken tub/shower. I loved the brilliant white towels, the coffee maker, and a very convenient bottle opener in the bathrooms. The ocean view room was nicely appointed with an LG flat screen TV, as well as a real granite countertop and a skylight in the bath.

Thanks again for a great stay. Thanks to Luis and Gabriel at the front desk and Kathy who helped make my experience at the Blue Sea Lodge a great one.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo