“Beachfront Beauty”

Blue Sea Beach Hotel
Ranked #27 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I am the head of a large corporation and I stay in many hotels throughout the course of a year. Rarely Do I get to stay a my Bay-front Home in Monaco. But his hotel was quite possibly the most comfortable I have been all year.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Harley_Parker_Inc
There are newer reviews for Blue Sea Beach Hotel

Reviewed May 30, 2009

The Staff and Management were very friendly and helpful.

2  Thank roamin0311
Reviewed May 22, 2009

i thought my stay was very good. i enjoyed it completely. My room was also very nice, it was clean and it was a cozy feeling which i always like to feel when i stay at a hotel. Also the staff was great, they helped me with any issue i had and the rate for my room was good also. There wasnt anything i didnt like the least, just overall my stay at this hotel was very well and i cant wait to stay at it again

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jessica_Lynn_Sampson
Reviewed May 11, 2009

My wife and I decided to take short vacation pre summer and before she has our first child. We stayed 4 nights at the Blue Sea Lodge and I give this hotel a solid 3 out of 5 stars. More like a 3.5. We loved the proximity to the beach. You cross the boardwalk and you're on the beach. The pool area was easily the best aspect of the hotel. You can sit behind a clear glass barrier and enjoy the sun and watch the waves w/o being bothered much.

On the other hand, the hotel wasn't as quiet as I would have liked. I'm a light sleeper and needed a sleep aid to get to sleep 3 of the nights. We has a room with a king size bed and we did not have an ocean view. It would've been nice, but it would have been too loud for me coming from the Midwest. Also, the TV we had in our room was terrible. It was noisy and old. They need to upgrade from the 20" tube to flat screens in all the rooms.

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel as we decided to not rent a car. It cost around $40 each way. An airport shuttle would've been nice as would a continental breakfast. They did have a little shop that offered a few breakfast options. We ate there one morning but would not recommend it. There are way better options a few blocks away on the beach.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They got us on the right bus and trolley to and from downtown and helped us with other recommendations. Our room was cleaned each day and there were no shortage of towels for the 2 of us.

Lastly, I booked this hotel through expedia and found a 10% off promotional code online at some random website. I just googled expedia promotional codes and I found it. The hotel wasn't overly expensive the way it was, so this made the 4 night stay even cheaper.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank overbuddy
Reviewed April 23, 2009

There is a lot that has been said about this hotel. I agree with ALL of the positive remarks and NONE of the negative remarks.
Apparently the hotel went thru a change over the past 12-18 months and all for the better.
We stayed in room 312. Corner room with ocean front view.
The room was not the biggest but not the smallest we have ever stayed in. However, what do you do in a hotel room besides sleep and watch T.V. and get it on.
Your suitcases know more about the room then you do. For us as long as the room is clean, bed is bed-bug free with clean linens, and the hotel is located in a safe location (day and night), that is about one really needs.
The balcony was sufficient to walk out on to. Once again, not the largest balcony we have ever had in a hotel room but it was large enough to have 2 chairs with a table. From our room we were able to view a beautiful sunset each and every night.
Keep in mind this hotel is on the public walkway for the beach - SO anticipate noise. We could occasionally hear skateboarders attempting tricks and hear music from our room with the doors closed. However, like any beach venue, things slowed down around 10:30 pm. We were able to open our balcony door every night and go to sleep listening to the waves and ocean sounds with out being disturbed by any man made noises.
There is plenty to do with in walking and driving distance of this hotel. We liked it that Ralph's grocery store with a Starbucks was only 2 blocks away. Prices were reasonable, not outrageous..
This is a good place to stay both as an older couple OR for a family. We never heard our "hotel mates". We only saw other persons staying at the hotel when we came and went from our room Otherwise, we would have thought we were the only ones in the hotel and this was during Spring Break.
Balboa park was beautiful and only a short 15 min drive, in busy traffic, away.
We didn't take in any amusement parks etc, but passed them frequently as they are all close to this hotel.
Side note: We ventured to Torrey Pines to see what the fuss was about the golf course and views. It is beautiful, so take in the sunsets from there if possible BUT skip the Hilton Torrey Pines. The food was outrageously priced and we didn't get what we paid for.
There is just so much to do around San Diego that is so inexpensive. Take it all in.
Parking at the hotel is NOT free. However, negotiate with the hotel manager for a discount. It is available...particularly if you mention a company that you work for. A lot of times they will knock off 1/2 or more for parking each day.
The swimming pool is private - meaning no one other then hotel guests have access to it. You must have a room key to go in and out of the pool area. The view from the pool area isn't that great - in other words, you can't lay out and watch the beach BUT it is nice to lounge by. The children seemed to be having an awfully good time going from the hot tub to the pool as only kids can do.

2  Thank TravelingBabyBoomers
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I had a bus/pleasure trip and wanted to get oceanside. We had a wonderful time nestled right off the beach. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance and many shops. This location is great for the kids as well; we had a blast. The management was especially friendly, definitely coming back!

3  Thank defreckster
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My son (13 years) was very interested in visiting the San Diego Zoo and Sea World, so I decided to look on the internet for a hotel to help make our stay perfect. I knew we wanted a hotel with a pool and whirlpool, and a location right on the beach. The Blue Sea advertised all those things, and I thought we couldn't go wrong with a Best Western. We weren't disappointed. The front desk was very helpful to us in getting to those attractions, from giving us advice to using the city bus (which we decided to use, and was very clean, comfortable, and convenient) (we decided not to rent a car), and coupons to get into the attractions. They gave us advice on pizza delivery, and was not disappointed with that either. We enjoyed the large TV with cable. I'm glad I read a review of the hotel on-line before we checked-in, because I knew to expect a smaller size than usual hotel room. But the patio & chairs, TV, microwave, refrigerator, use of robes, all made up for it. That beautiful ocean and boardwalk was worth every penny. And considering the amount of people staying at the hotel, it was very quiet.
We would definitely go back to the Blue Sea again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family