“Great Location!!”

Ranked #57 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Western Bayside March 25-30 for Spring Break. The hotel was in a great location, perfect for people who didn't have a car there, like us. They have a free "shuttle" to and from the airport- more like a minivan with a crazy driver!! All you have to do is call the hotel once you have picked up your bags at the airport and they come in 10 minutes or so.

The hotel is pretty standard issue hotel chain quality, although the furniture was fairly new. The room itself was HUGE- we had a king size bed, a couch, coffee table, table w/ 2 chairs, a desk, and a chair w/ ottoman. Plus the room has a mini-fridge and microwave that came in handy for leftovers!

We requested an upper floor, per other tripadvisor suggestions, and ended up on the 12th floor so we were all most at the top (14 floors total- expect 14 is really the 13th- stupid superstitions!) We did not pay for the bay view, but our view of the city was great. The balcony is super small, but we liked being able to leave our door open and get fresh air.

There is construction surrounding the hotel, and within a short period of time, there will no longer be any bay view rooms. The price of the hotel is reasonable, especially compared to other downtown hotels. We were only 3 blocks from the bay, walking distance to the USS Midway Museum, Seaport Village, and the Gaslamp Quarter.

We did not use the hotel pool- it was kind of chilly, but I can tell you that it is not the kind of pool you relax by all day. This is definitely a city hotel! There is a "free" breakfast, but you have to go to the Bayside Cafe, which is attached to the hotel, and be seated. You can either get cereal (hot or cold) w/ toast & coffee/tea, or a bakery item (bagel, danish) with juice or coffee/tea. For a small fee you can add on eggs and fruit- we did it one day & it's a lot of food!! Only complaint is that you have to wait for food, and we were eager to get out of there and start the day.

The hotel is just blocks from the Cruise Ship Terminal, and the ferry to Coronado Island. We also took advantage of the public Trolley system, which is just a few blocks from the hotel.

If you go, visit Karl Strauss Brewery- a block from the hotel, and home of a well-known and enjoyed beer in the San Diego area- good food too!! Not far from the hotel is the Kansas City Barbeque- famous for it's part in Top Gun- Stop by and eat there! The food is great, and it hasn't changed since Tom Cruise was there in 1985!! We also took advice from fellow tripadvisor's and went to Rite Aide to stock up on drinks & that we kept in the room.

Overall San Diego is a wonderful city, and this is a great place to stay and see all the sights. We went to the USS Midway Museum, the Zoo, Sea World, Sea Port Village, Old Town San Diego, Coronado Island, etc.

It's a great city to see, and the weather is PERFECT!!!

• Liked — The location!! It was easy to see all of the city on foot!! But bring your walking shoes!!
  • Disliked — The pool & the breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank IllinoisLovesthesun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed April 8, 2007

My daughter & I spent four nights at the BW Bayside Inn last week. The location is ideal for walking the city. Our room was clean and comfortable & we had a lovely harbor view (9th floor, bay view) from our balcony. The front desk staff were very helpful and accomodating. The shuttle to & from the airport was an added bonus (note the shuttle doesn't operate until 7 a.m.). The jets in the hot tub weren't operating properly & the elevators were a bit slow (unsure if both were working all of the time) but all in all, we were most pleased & would return. The free breakfast is beverage & muffin, but you can add eggs & fruit for $3.50. An easy walk to Little Italy, the harbor, trolley stop & Santa Fe Depot. A bit further (but definitely manageable) to Seaport Village & the Gaslamp. If you're looking for a day trip, we recommend a coaster train to Carlsbad Village ($11 rt). It was nice to get out of town & the trip was very scenic. Carlsbad was great for shopping & the beach was uncrowded. Many nice restaurants as well. All in all, it was an excellent trip & for the money, the Bayside Inn was great.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small balcony
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Livitup46
illinois
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We stayed here last night, actually, April 3, 2007, a Tuesday night. I had booked thru AAA and failed to specifically request a non-smoking room. That was my fault. The reservation was actually for a city view, but we got a harbor view instead (not complaining) and that kinda made up for being on the smoking floor. We were also just staying for one night before we went to the airport, so smelling the smoke from room next door was tolerable.

Pros -
1. The harbor view really is very nice, and the Star of India (about three blocks away, I think) is not blocked at all by other buildings. We arrived just before sunset and it was beautiful setting over the harbor.

2. It is less than a 5 minute drive to the airport.

3. It is walking distance to the harbor area and Little Italy.

4. The parking was 7.00/night. From what I've read, this is fairly reasonable for downtown. And it's right next door.

5. I thought the breakfast at the Bayside Grill next door was just fine, with the vouchers. Coffee was only listed with our option of cereal/milk and toast, but when we asked for juice for our daughter, he brought us all a juice at no charge (in addition to our coffee.) Also - the coffee was very good, and my husband and I are really picky about our coffee. We always bring our won for the room coffeemaker.

6. AAA rate for our room was 129/night. Not bad for a harbor view and breakfast.

HOWEVER -
Cons-
1. NOISY!!! OMG, even with the windows closed, it was sooo noisy. My 9 yr. old, who normally doesn't even notice urban noise, complained about it. The trolley runs by CONSTANTLY. The Amtrak ran by twice within the first 2 hrs we were there in the evening. A plane flew overhead - really close. The pool was right below our room at ground level - and although we were on the 9th floor, we still heard kids in the pool at 8pm. In the morning, we heard the cruise ships blowing their horns. This was with the windows closed.

2. The TV reception on the 9th floor was awful. ALL OF THE CHANNELS were fuzzy. Not one station was clear. Not one, out of thirty-something channels.

3. Our room was cramped and small, and our bed was uncomfortable - sagged in the middle.

The first two, for me, far outweighed the pros, and I don't think I'd be happy staying at this place for a week, or even a few days. Maybe if I was really on a budget, but I would not want to be in the room for long, even if it was non-smoking.
I would assume that a lot of hotels downtown and by the harbor would be noisy, but I haven't stayed at those, just this one, and, even with the view, I wasn't that impressed.

• Liked — The harbor view
  • Disliked — NOISE!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bianca66
La Jolla, California
Reviewed March 30, 2007

I stayed two nights mid-week in March. I didn't pay extra$$ for the bay view but got it because just as we got in there was a large group of German tourists who just came in, which probably booked other rooms.

The two queen beds were comfortable. and the pillows were nice and fluffy. In fact we saw many being replaced the day we checked in. (They were taking out old mattresses and bringing in new ones.) The amenities are good. A TV with cable, a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker made the fact that there's no continental breakfast easy, since there's a rite-aid down the street we bought hot-pockets and ate those in the morning.

The view of the bay is amazing although it's true there is a concstruction sight to the right it's not very noticeable when you have the sun setting and the "Star of India" right in front of you.
The pool isn't special and the jets on the hottub didn't work very well but the hottub was hot so that was nice after hours of walking. There are towels in the pool area which I also thought was nice.

The constuction was not as noisy as people have said, although to be honest my friends and I left our room about 10:30 everyday and returned in the evening 6pm- midnight. Noise is a problem though as there is a railroad crossing a few blocks away, which you can hear clearly even with the balcony window shut. At night, cruise ships dock at the harbor which is also a few blocks away but the boats horn woke me and my friends up. This happened both nights we stayed and the second night two cruise ships came in so we were awakened twice that night!!! I can't imagine any of the other hotels in the area being any better though. There are hotels right across the street from the harbor which I think have to hear the same noise. I believe it's just a consequence of staying in a city.

The area of the hotel isn't particularly nice, but it isn't particulary ghetto either. If you walk up India Street like 2 blocks there are a lot of nice little shops and places to eat and drink. (It's Little Italy) You can pretty much walk everywhere you want to go or take a cab - Horton Plaza to the hotel was $4.

The parking lot is strangely full. I assumed many construction workers park thier cars there because once they were gone the parking lot cleared up a bit. The lack of an elevator in the parking lot is annoying because the stairs look gross. My friend drove down to the lobby, we took out the luggage and then she drove back up to find parking somewhere. $7 a night for parking is not bad at all, I'm surprised this is even a complaint.

We didn't even use the car while in San Diego. We walked to the Harbor and took the Old Town Trolley hop on hop off tour that takes you pretty much everywhere you want to go in the city as a tourist.

• Liked — The amenities, bay view, and location
  • Disliked — The small lobby and rude front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank vanny420
San Francisco
Reviewed March 9, 2007

stayed here for one night in March, and while it was ok as a place to sleep, I probably wouldn't return given all of the other choices nearby.

The room was just ok, thought it was reasonably sized, with a big fridge, a big TV that didn't work (I didn't get in until late and was too tired to deal with it or to change rooms, so just didn't use the TV), two only moderately comfortable queen beds. Bathroom was a decent size but water pressure somewhat lacking. There is free wireless and it worked very well once I got the user name and password from the desk, which just took a phone call. The room was fairly quiet until construction started in the am, though I could hear some noise from the next room when they used the plumbing. I could also hear traffic noise, even on the 10th floor and with the balcony door closed. Cleanliness seemed to be average.

The major problems:

1. PARKING! I am surprised none of the recent reviews mentioned this. I can only guess that the reviewers didn't have cars. There is a parking garage, and contrary to one recent review it is NOT free, though the $7 charge is fairly reasonable by big city standards. HOWEVER, the problem is that the garage is five stories tall, with NO elevator. By the time I arrived the only parking spaces left were on the top floor, so yes, I had to go up and down five flights of stairs, or walk through five levels of the garage, to get to or from my car. I wasn't warned about this by the desk when I checked in (there are three spaces near the lobby for check in but a big sign warns that you will be towed if you leave your car there for longer than 15 minutes), but I had to come back through the lobby to get to my room. Had they even warned me, I would have dropped my luggage in the lobby before driving up to the 5th floor (and then having to walk down five flights with the luggage.). Part of the issue here is that there is no bellman. You are on your own to deal with luggage. On top of that, there is low lighting and no security personnel in the garage, and the garage is very open to the streeet, so it felt a little bit uncomfortable walking through it alone, in addition to being tiring.(the hotel neighborhood isn't awful but it isn't the greatest in the world either). Finally, I wonder if the garage size is adequate for the hotel: the hotel certainly didn't seem very full, but I literally got the second to last space in the place. I wonder what they do if it fills up? Bottom line: this is a convienent location to walking and public transportation, so might be ok for those without cars, but NOT recommended for those with cars.

2. The Elevator: (in the hotel itself): Signs on the elevator said it was working only sporadically, and if it stopped or the door wouldn't close to call the desk on the elevator phone. It worked for me, but this was very disconcerting. The sign said it was 'safe, but a computer issue'. Not particularly reassuring, especially since I notice in prior reviews that it has been broken before.

3. Construction: this was mentioned by others. There was major construction both on the street right below my room, and a new building being built right next door. By 7:00 am, the noise was significant (fortunately I had an early flight).

4. Bayside view: I didn't have a bayside view, so I will have to take the word of others that they are worth the extra $$ charged for it (which is why I didn't take it). However, I am skeptical, and if you do pay extra for it, better get an upper floor: I looked right at some bayside view room balconies from the 5th floor of the garage (which is bayside from the hotel), and could see the same view they were seeing: a bit of bay, framed by three larger hotels in between me and the bay (and of course, they were also looking at the garage). In addition to that, the new building being constructed next door juts out in an L shape from the bayside of the hotel, so EVERY bay view room is going to have a view of a construction site to their right. (the new building being built is about the same height as the hotel). Just a warning not to expect too much. II was glad that I hadn't paid extra for it. In that regard, while I know nothing about the Holiday Inn up the street, it might be worth checking out for those who want views: since it blocks part of the Bayside's view I presume its view is much better!.

5. Pool: is in a very claustrophobic little courtyard; nothing special about it.

I could deal with these negatives as I was only there one night, but all of them would really have started to grate on a longer stay. Not recommended.

Stayed March 2007