My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Western Bayside March 25-30 for Spring Break. The hotel was in a great location, perfect for people who didn't have a car there, like us. They have a free "shuttle" to and from the airport- more like a minivan with a crazy driver!! All you have to do is call the hotel once you have picked up your bags at the airport and they come in 10 minutes or so.
The hotel is pretty standard issue hotel chain quality, although the furniture was fairly new. The room itself was HUGE- we had a king size bed, a couch, coffee table, table w/ 2 chairs, a desk, and a chair w/ ottoman. Plus the room has a mini-fridge and microwave that came in handy for leftovers!
We requested an upper floor, per other tripadvisor suggestions, and ended up on the 12th floor so we were all most at the top (14 floors total- expect 14 is really the 13th- stupid superstitions!) We did not pay for the bay view, but our view of the city was great. The balcony is super small, but we liked being able to leave our door open and get fresh air.
There is construction surrounding the hotel, and within a short period of time, there will no longer be any bay view rooms. The price of the hotel is reasonable, especially compared to other downtown hotels. We were only 3 blocks from the bay, walking distance to the USS Midway Museum, Seaport Village, and the Gaslamp Quarter.
We did not use the hotel pool- it was kind of chilly, but I can tell you that it is not the kind of pool you relax by all day. This is definitely a city hotel! There is a "free" breakfast, but you have to go to the Bayside Cafe, which is attached to the hotel, and be seated. You can either get cereal (hot or cold) w/ toast & coffee/tea, or a bakery item (bagel, danish) with juice or coffee/tea. For a small fee you can add on eggs and fruit- we did it one day & it's a lot of food!! Only complaint is that you have to wait for food, and we were eager to get out of there and start the day.
The hotel is just blocks from the Cruise Ship Terminal, and the ferry to Coronado Island. We also took advantage of the public Trolley system, which is just a few blocks from the hotel.
If you go, visit Karl Strauss Brewery- a block from the hotel, and home of a well-known and enjoyed beer in the San Diego area- good food too!! Not far from the hotel is the Kansas City Barbeque- famous for it's part in Top Gun- Stop by and eat there! The food is great, and it hasn't changed since Tom Cruise was there in 1985!! We also took advice from fellow tripadvisor's and went to Rite Aide to stock up on drinks & that we kept in the room.
Overall San Diego is a wonderful city, and this is a great place to stay and see all the sights. We went to the USS Midway Museum, the Zoo, Sea World, Sea Port Village, Old Town San Diego, Coronado Island, etc.
It's a great city to see, and the weather is PERFECT!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western Plus Bayside Inn is located in the heart of downtown San Diego, perfect for site seeing or business trips. Our proximity to Little Italy offers guests easy access to amazing dining and breweries from award winning chefs. Guests can easily walk to shopping and dining at the nearby harbor area including Seaport Village & The Headquarters. Those that love to explore and site see find our central location to many local museums and attractions, like the World Famous San Diego Zoo(R) and the Midway Museum very convenient. In addition to our complimentary services, like a daily breakfast buffet, shuttle service and WI-FI, guests may take advantage of some of our new and enhanced amenities from our 2015 first floor remodel. The beautiful outdoor pool and hot tub area with woven modular lounge seating is great for evenings with friends, family time or just relaxing. The new onsite fitness room is perfect for an invigorating work out. We also added a fantastic Sundries area with snacks, small meals and beverages for the convenience of our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Best Western, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Bayside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel San Diego
- Best Western Bayside Hotel
- Best Western San Diego
- San Diego Best Western