“Nice place to stay!”

Ranked #205 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice place to stay!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The staff was spectacular, particularly Anisa, who were not only welcoming but very helpful with recommendations about transport, places and everything else I needed. The location was great and I could easy walk to Gaslamp and downtown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank eduardouchoarj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The first day I noticed there was no hot water in the lavatory. Next day they fixed this problem but my Kindle e-book reader was stolen. After the repair a leak was left and the floor of the washroom became a lagoon. But for the next 3 days I didn't call anybody because I was afraid that something else could be missing. And I stayed in San Diego carrying my tablet and everything of some value.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Wolfango27

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel is 1 mile from the convention center, through the Gaslamp district, across from the El Cortez. Being new to the area, I booked at the Red Roof because I wanted to save some money, be relatively close to the action, and have some rest. I just don't understand the low ratings other reviewers have had. It's a red roof inn, not the Plaza. For under $90, on St. Patrick's Day weekend in 2013, I slept peacefully all 4 nights, walked all around San Diego, and walked to Balboa Parkwhich was 1/2 mile away from the hotel. If you're trying to be economically sensitive, used to walking and do not tire easy, then this is as good of a Red Roof as I've been to in NC, SC, TN.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank eoxixis
East Irvine, California, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2013

First of all, let me start off by saying that the staff here is fantastic. It is unfortunate that such great people have to work at such a horrible hotel.

When we first checked in, the gentleman helping us was new so it took a little longer than expected but he was super nice and I didn't mind waiting. The parking lot is a little tight but they have underground overflow parking so that is great.

We checked into our room (203) and quickly discovered that there was only one working outlet in the entire room. The bathroom had no windows, so even using the restroom was not an option unless you wanted to sit in a pitch black room or leave the door open. We called down to the desk to see what could be done and they said that maintenance was busy across the street fixing a flood at their other property.

They moved us to another room downstairs (108) and as I set my bag down on the bed, the frame collapsed on the left side. Great. Luckily, it latches so I just looked under the bed and snapped it back in. The hardwood floors were really dirty, don't take your socks/shoes off.

We went out for dinner and drinks with friends downtown in San Diego and when we came back their was a Cup of Noodles Beef wrapper on the floor of our bathroom. This wasn't here when we left, nor do I eat Cup of Noodles. My only thought is that someone came into our room to use the microwave in there to make their meal. So creepy!

I decide to take a shower before I go to bed, and I see a huge cockroach crawling on the shower wall. GROSS! When there is one, there is a thousand. So I stuff a towel under the bathroom door hoping they won't come running into the bedroom area while I sleep. Then the couple above us decides to have loud sex for hours on end upstairs so it was a sleepless night for sure.

NEVER AGAIN!! Do not go to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Laura C
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Anisa was AWESOME and helpful desk clerk that I have ever seen!
I had a reservation by mistake through EXPEDIA at another red roof in in SD but Anisa did help me alot to have me stay at the red roof inn that I definitely needed to stay.
Also, she was so nice when I asked her about sightseeing places and other questions.
There was no refrigelator in the room but I could use it at the lobby so it was not a big problem.
This motel is located in a good and convinient place to get to a Trolly sta. Gaslamp quater and Horton Plaza.
I will definitely stay in this REDROOF inn when I need a room in SD!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AJ2450
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Staff were spectacular, particularly Anisa and Ivan, who were not only welcoming but helpful with recommendations on restaurants, transport, laundry, printing, and everything else we needed. Unfortunately the property is seriously deficient. Internet works sporadically at best. Showers heat up to a maximum of lukewarm, towels are threadbare, and bathmats are the size of handkerchieves. Walls and doors are paper-thin, so you can hear anything happening anywhere nearby, day and night. Furniture is functional but beat-up, and there are no fridges in the room. Great location, easy walk to Gaslamp and downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Rob G
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Checking in was goodt. Once I got to the room, the hallway ceiling light was not working. I mentioned it twice to the front desk by phone n personally but they never fix it or even check it. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was rattling really loud. I could even hear the next rooms bathroom fan rattling as well.
The first day when I got back to the room, I had to call the office because no one clean the room, this was at 6pm.
Police sirens constantly every night. I've never seen so many homeless people... It's not safe to walk around the area cause these people are sleeping on sidewalks, asking for money and trying to talk with you.
Next time I would prefer to stay closer to the Gaslamp area.

• Stayed February 2013