“Good location”

California Suites Hotel
Ranked #234 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 8, 2009

July our family was able to enjoy San Diego for one night. The staff were very friendly and informative. The room was 2 beds with a kitchenette. This was nice to have some fridge room and counter space. No dishes how ever. The motel had a nice clean pool and hot tub. The grounds were well taken care of and tidy. Pretty fountain with blue colored water. The room was average priced for the area at $130 for one night. Hotel was only approx. 10 minutes from Sea World and the major beaches. Nice continental breakfast with plenty to eat and continuously replenished in the morning. In all a good family stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank KandSFamily

Reviewed August 30, 2009

It was cheap and ok. Breakfast was lousy though.............................................................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2009

The grounds and rooms are very dirty. The area that is it located is not the greatest either. There seems to be quite a bit of crime around the hotel.

We don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank greattimetotravel
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I'll agree with most others reviewing California Suites. It is very reasonably priced compared to most other hotels in the San Diego area. However, there is definitely a creepy feel to the place. Way too many locked gates seperarating you from the outside (not a good indicator of the neighborhood). The room was definitely dated and on a very hot day the window air unit was trying hard to keep the room cool. The worst part of this stay was the mishap I had at the hotel's pool. I left my towel and my sandals by one of the pool chairs while I took a swim. When I got out of the water my towel was there, but my sandals were gone (in 4 minutes flat...quick robbery). There are residents that stay at the hotel for more than months at a time for all I can tell, and I'm sure one of them needed a sandal upgrade. Enjoy your stay with one eye open.

Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank solomon98
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Very reasonably priced & safe-feeling on grounds - family-friendly. Front desk staff (including management) can be quite rude; variable maid service. If you can avoid the rude or ignorant front-desk staff (there were a few that were OK) and be sure that maid service does what is supposed to, it can be a pleasant place. Rooms are your basic motel-style. Breakfast buffet is not worth getting up for.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2009

This hotel was such a good deal that I set my expectations quite low and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff were wonderful and genuinely concerned for the comfort and security of their guests. The rooms are not the best part of this hotel...average in size, with a small bathroom, two double (not queen) beds that were not superior in quality but adequate. There was an iron&board, hairdryer, little kitchenette (except the bathroom was so small this was also your changing area), microwave and mini fridge. The only real complaint I had about the room was that they seem to spray it with a perfumed carpet spray or something. However...the good stuff...great pool and hot tub that are open until 10 pm, and cleaned every morning, a convenient and clean onsite laundrymate, a great little breakfast with cereal, bagels, toast, pastries, juice and coffee, free parking that is well lit and has security monitors, close proximity to just about everythinig in San Diego, with a starbucks, grocery store, several small restaurants, gas station all in walking distance. They charge by the room, not the person...we had four adults sharing a room and we were quite comfortable. The grounds of this hotel are attractive and immaculately kept. I would recommend this hotel for families, couples, elderly (ask for a main floor room as there are no elevators to second level), mature singles. Not the hotel for the partiers or large groups of singles.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Other reviewers must have extremely low expectations. First off, my reservation would have been terminated at 10pm if I hadn't phoned from the airport saying our flight was delayed and we'd only be landing in SAN at midnight. Secondly, after telling them we wouldn't have the rental car we'd booked, they said there were no airport shuttles and we were on our own for finding transportation to the hotel. If it hadn't been after midnight I wouldn't have been bothered by this but considering the time, I was very bothered and almost upset.
SO, we caught the Cloud 9 shuttle (excellent service, great price) out to Clairemont Mesa. Upon arrival to the hotel, the lobby is shut it's got that spooky B film lighting going on in the "atrium" and I'm just waiting for some Jason Myers character to pop out of the bird of paradise behind me. THEN, we were given 2 keys and sent on our merry way...without being able to walk through the lobby to get to the pond where our room was.
So, through the blue door and into a corridor....which way should we go? No signage but fortunately I heard outdoor noises and followed till we came out onto a pathway...still no idea where I'm going.
We were given a map of the property but at night you can't necessarily see where the paths are going. Our room was right behind the pond and as soon as I looked at the door I wanted to run back and catch the shuttle. No modern lock....it was a lock in the doorhandle with a regular domestic deadbolt above. Opening the door, you see a huge tv (nice) and some shabby indoor/outdoor carpeting. Also, a window AC unit mounted into the wall--which never cooled the room, just blew around stale warm air all night. The bathroom could do with modernizing and the stovetop that's in the room looks like it just woke up in the 70s.
Preparing for bed, crawling under the sheets, I just felt like the sheets weren't as clean as they should be. Also, there were only 2 pillows which was a downfall since my boyfriend likes to sleep with 2 pillows under his head.
Also, a thing to note is that they offer weekly rates....which, in my experience tells you a lot about the caliber of hotel. All in all, if you just need somewhere to hang your hat for the night, and you've got a car, and want to spend less than 65 bucks it's great. Otherwise, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple