“Great place”

California Suites Hotel
Ranked #232 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on vacation. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was decent. Cereal, fruit and frozen waffles/pancakes. The staff was fantastic and with all the rooms they have, when you call for extra towels you get them very quickly. We got a screaming deal $$ for this hotel but I would pay regular price to stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank jennylee74

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The grounds are beautiful. Rooms are upgraded, extremely clean. The "TEAM" are all so friendly & helpful. Each person works so hard yet all greet you with a smile, from the Manager's to the Housekeepers to the Maintence. At night the best Security is in place. You can pay more but you will NOT find a better place.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank lonegma
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This property is a bit beyond it's prime, but is still very conveniently located and clean. The large pool area (with hot tub) is great for kids and the rooms have areas for food preparation. The daily breakfast room is clean and the continental breakfast has a fair selection of items. There are restaurants/fast food locations nearby and a quarter mile away is a WalMart. Freeway access is a block away, but I have never heard any road noise. The price is discounted for multiple day stays.

Room Tip: Reserve ahead by calling them or arrive early.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JRonaldT
Reviewed May 28, 2014

To start this place is in a horrible neighborhood. They lock their gates at 10pm. And have a special gate key to get to the area where the rooms are. There were people in the lobby that smelled, it was disgusting if I could have canceled upon check-in I would have. The room was small. Not clean and the bathroom was dingy. The tv was ancient. They said they had HBO, but those two channels did not work. The bed was very uncomfortable and old. The sheets were itchy and there was sand on the comforter. The air conditioner was loud and kept us up most of the night. As soon as we tuned off the air the room heated up immediately. People were slamming doors all night long. If you want a good night sleep do not stay there. I went to get breakfast and there were stale croissants, danishes, muffins and oranges. Not what I was expected when they advertise continental breakfast. The photographer that took the pictures of this motel -definitely can't call it a hotel must be a genius because it looks nothing like the location. I was scared to walk to the car due to the neighborhood. When I checked out they person said nothing to me, I am sure they know not to ask people how there stay was because they would hear an earful!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Amy K
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This Holiday Inn property was greatly Enlarged and Upgraded not long ago.
I appreciated the no wait at Early check in on a Sunday, 3-30-14
The food at the cafe is good , reasonable and fast.
The rooms by the pool with Balcony were my favorites.
Nice big TVs and many channels
Close to Airport for easy Early am flights.
Parking can be a little difficult , But Not too Bad..

Room Tip: A higher floor or a pool room with balcony
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank harveyravitch
Reviewed April 19, 2014

It was ok, we reserved 9 rooms close together for a school trip. Was told they had a hot breakfast, that was a main reason we made reservations. Took over an hour to check in since they ” forgot ” we needed the rooms all together. we even called an hour before we arrived to make sure everything was okay. nobody was happy after being on a tour bus for 8 hours. and the hot breakfast was pastries and muffins. My pillow had drool stains on them needless to say I slept with my travel pillow. Its cheap price,you get what you pay for. I haven't seen a actual room key in years.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank supastarrrrr
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

What can I say? It was cheap @ $69/night. Compared to other area hotels at $139+. Bed was hard and uncomfortable. Shower head was made for a very short person (5'0") and the bathroom was terrible. The electric outlets were so outdated I couldn't even plug in my hair styling device. The lighting stunk too, so putting on makeup was a guessing game. The walls were thin and created no sound barrier. So we heard everything on each side of us. The worse thing had to be the window. We had an exterior room which faced the parking lot and highway. The window was really old, thin, and did not mute any sound from outside. We could hear people's conversations in the parking lot and the cars/trucks going by were really loud. We did NOT sleep well at all! Overall the place was clean, the front desk folks were super nice, and it was in a convenient location. But we will probably not return on future visits.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends