“huge”

California Suites Hotel
Ranked #233 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 30, 2012

stayed here in august. came in around 9pm. one girl working, not to quick. room was clean and nice. this place is so huge it took 10 minutes to get to our room. safe and secure, seems like a shaky side of town. they said there is plenty of places to eat close . only thing i could find was a sushi shop. not for me.

Room Tip: get there early if your looking for a place to eat
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank meatman1947

Reviewed July 25, 2012

my husband and I went to see my daughter ,she is stationed in san diego and stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. It was wonderful!!! The whole area was always clean and very beautiful! nice cont. breakfast, rooms clean and comfortable. nice fenced in pool area, all kinds of restuarants with at least 4 in walking distance. A bus stop right across the street and all the attractions are close by( we went to seaworld and old town!)The price was very affordable( really cheap!). I will definetly stay again on my next trip!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank cindy g
Reviewed July 17, 2012

After reading some of the previous reviews, I just wanted to offer my own opinion about our stay here.
We are a family of six on a severe budget and we were very comfortable with our stay at California Hotel Suites. Granted it's not chock full of amenities like some of the name brand chain hotels but since we are not so high in the instep as some of the previous reviewers it worked it out just fine for us.

Yes, its not a "full" kitchenette, but it was more than adequate for us since we weren't planning on making gourmet meals. We went to the local grocery store and stocked up on groceries, mainly fruit and sandwich makings, and found that this really helped with the food budget of our trip. The continental breakfast provided was meh, but we mainly used it for snacks for the day.

I didn't have any problems with our beds but we were so tired at the end our days I could have slept on a cement block. The rooms could have used a little more thorough cleaning but as I am a clean freak anyhow I usually bring cleaning supplies with me.

The grounds made up for what the rooms lacked. The were lush and clean and relaxing. Maybe since I was in the back I didn't notice the noise everyone else complained about. I loved getting up early and just standing outside my door to enjoy the peace and birds. I didn't notice any "lurkers" but I also understand the hotel also has weeklies and monthlies so the "lurkers" might have actually been long time residents just out to enjoy the nice weather. As for needing two keys to get in, SO??? I've been in some of the nicer hotels that I wish HAD two keys to get in. Nicer does not equate safer.

The pool needs a MAJOR overhauling. Its stained and chipped and it's not a sparkling blue but the kids loved it and my husband and I enjoyed meeting the other residents some of whom were from Germany and the Netherlands.

We also found that the hotel was very convenient to all the local attractions. Coming from Phoenix it's not unusual to have to drive an hour just to get anywhere so a fifteen minute drive to the beach was nothing to us. And the money we saved on accomadations and food really came in usefull for little extras.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They gave us maps, brochures and directions to sites we would have never thought of like La Jolla Tide Pools. They talk to you like family and try to accomodate your needs to the best of their abilities. I liked that they came and cleaned our room every day and gave us fresh towels. The chain hotels only clean your room if you ask and heaven forbid you ask for extra towels. We were there for five days and with four kids it's was a really nice touch to have clean sheets and towels.

So to sum it up it's a nice family orientated hotel. It doesn't have a gourmet continental breakfast, free robes, room service, bellhops, valet parking, seaside views, wi-fi, 500 thread count sheets or an olympic sized pool.
What it DOES have are nice sized rooms at a reasonable price, friendly staff, beautiful grounds, and its close to shopping and attractions. It's kitschy and quaint. And the money you save allows you to actually go out and have a gourmet meal or buy yourself a robe. (Or at the least pay for the parking at San Diego attractions)
If you want to the Ritz Carlton at Motel 6 prices then look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back away from the road if you can't handle noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank QuixoticAngel
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights, mainly because it was affordable and looked nice. We needed a handicap room and it was right up front with lots of traffic noise, We kept the air conditioner going at high to drown it out. The bed was the worst part. It wobbled and I actually fell out of it when trying to sit down, slid right off. We woke with a backache every morning. The breakfast consisted of boxed cereal, boxed orange juice and flat muffin like pastries, and an orange plus coffee. After the first breakfast, we didn't bother getting up early for it. On the good side, the grounds were beautiful with water features, lots of flowers and birds. Good for an overnight stay. Very reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank catlady4847
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We've traveled to our vacation in San Diego as a family of 6. During this economic downfall we weren't able to spend so much as many ppl as well. so, based on the earlier reviews of this hotel/motel, booked this one. when we arrived, the customer service was great. they checked us in very fast. we booked a room with 2 full beds, and a kitchenette that had a microwave, a small fridge and a cook top. besides that they have a complimentary breakfast. breakfast is not fancy, but good enough: bagels, jams, butter, cream cheese, fruits, a few choices of coffee and hot chocolates. the beds were good and we checked in into a clean room. the cleaning service was each and every day. yes, the rooms are a little outdated, the hotel is not the big chain hotel, and run by a private party. and i must say, they specify it on their website and because they don't offer so many fancy things as the big chains, they are able to bring us the lower priced rooms. we liked this place, it is in convenient location to all major attractions and parks. most of the time we were out visiting places and on the beach, so came to the room just to sleep over and dry our clothing. yes, they have gates and very good security. i wouldn't mind it at all. i do care if it is bad or good neighborhood around, and when we drove around it we didn't see anything suspicious, just a regular neighborhood as in our town as well, a lot of shops and plazas nearby. we didn't stock up on the food before we come, just a few things. then, when we needed something we went to the closest Foods-Co, which is within the 1/2 mi of the hotel. we loved our stay there! if you are not picky and on the budget, then i would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank LoveToVacation111
Reviewed July 1, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Volker Z
Reviewed June 28, 2012

After leaving this hotel without staying overnight I mentioned to another visitor at my new hotel where this hotel is located and he started laughing, and I will quote him, "Oh Man! You were in the hood!" California Suites was shady to say the least. First entering the hotel requires two keys. One to open the cage that lets you into the main "compound" and then next to open your door. First thing I noticed is various individuals lerking in doorways. It was uncomfortable to be watched as you are making your way to your room. Upon entering the room I find right away that I have been lied too. A small microwave and a tiny fridge does NOT equal a kitchenette. We packed food and booked this location specifically so that we would save money by cooking in our room. I could have lived with this but the beds were the breaking point. First I pulled back the blanket to check the beds and the sheets were wrinkled so badly I had no question that they had been slept in. There was also hair on the pillow. When I sat down on the bed it made a distinct "Boing" sound. I felt unsafe in this room. When our friends arrived to join us and saw their room they also wanted to leave. They were a family of 5 and were given a small room with one double bed. When they complained they were told that the entire place was booked and that was all they had. Needless to say we sought and found another place to stay. We contacted our booking agent through Kayak and got a full refund. Kayak reports that they will no longer be representing this hotel (according to our representitive). Cheers to Kayak for their excellent customer service.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else and if you do stay here demand to view the room first.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family