“Sleep-Park-Fly”

Ranked #125 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Idyllwild, California
“Sleep-Park-Fly”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a good place to stay when you need to fly out of San Diego and leave your car. But I would feel very uneasy driving a large vehicle into their parking structure. This hotel is right in the middle of down town around the one way streets. Lots of other hotels right around you. The service was great. They have a pool, evening refreshments and free breakfast. The morning we left we were too early for breakfast but they packed a breakfast for us to take which was more than plenty. I would stay here again. It is really nice to drive in and have a relaxed night before a 8 AM flight. Then receive a togo breakfast, be taken to your departure location and not hassle with parking. In the cost of the Sleep-Park-Fly price is your parking fee to leave your car at the hotel. Then when you come back, just call the hotel and they will pick you up right away. You get in your car and your ready to go. It's that simple.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
McKinney, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Although this is an older property, the location of this hotel and the friendly staff help to make up the difference! This hotel is moderately priced but with a great location of uptown San Diego. So easy to pub crawl your way down the hill as the night progresses and then grab a short cab ride back to the hotel at the end of the evening. Great location for other sight-seeing during the day as well. The only two negative comments I have about this hotel is that the bathrooms are very small (reminiscent of a cruise ship bathroom) and on my stay one of the two very slow elevators was out of commission more than it was working which made for long wait to travel between floors (use the stairs, much quicker).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city and with a balcony!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Got a great price of $50 thru Priceline for a quick overnight Saturday stay. Standard Holiday Inn Express amenities. Well worth the price paid. Free adjacent and nearby street parking beginning 4pm on Saturdays and all-day Sunday.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is pretty average. The bathroom is tiny, tiny! The parking garage is tight... Don't know how larger vehicles fit, but that's CA for you, limited space. Location was good, except kinda scary at night with homeless and vagrants around downtown area. Trying to save money, will stay in other hotel next. This hotel is decent for a last minute deal.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

We greatly value your comments. I am pleased you like our location. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort with the bathroom and parking area during your stay and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this. We have taken note of your comments and your review will looked into. I hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and recommendation.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night, it is a great location to base yourself, great views from the hotel bar and we were lucky enough to have an ocean view room as well. The staff were great, breakfast was fairly standard but the lively staff made it an experience. Although the pool is small it did for my daughter who was happy to cool off in there. Overall a great place to stay, next time we will stay or longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Don't expect any thing but a three star budget hotel and you will enjoy your stay.
It was in a good location. We could walk to shops and station. We used the shuttle to take us to the station, the Zoo and it was very reliable. The room was very small and the air con was noisy.
We had a room that was on the street. The staff were helpful. Room was clean. It was a hot breakfast and plenty of variety.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the street are small.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smiley1944
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I traveled for work to a place out in the middle of nowhere in California for two weeks, and San Diego was less than two hours away so I decided to visit on the weekend between the two work weeks. I'm a federal employee, and when I'm traveling on business I have to stay at hotels that offer the "government rate." This usually means Marriotts, Hyatts, and the occasional Hilton - all of which I'm usually fine with for business trips (the taxpayers wouldn't like it if Uncle Sam was putting me up in 5 star resorts!). Since my weekend stay in San Diego was being paid for by my employer, I had to find a place that offered the government rate. My main priority was proximity to the zoo. This place fit the bill since they offered the government rate and had many positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Nonetheless, I was not impressed.

Let's start with the good, because there were actually a few very positive aspects:

1. location was good
2. employees were very friendly and helpful
3. the free shuttle to and from the zoo was absolutely appreciated
4. free internet (this should be offered EVERYWHERE)
5. free breakfast (see comments on quality below, however)
6. since I was booked under the government rate, I was given some vouchers for the cafe at the hotel. I didn't have time to use them, but it was a nice gesture
7. the lobby is nice
8. the king bed was comfortable and the pillows were good

The bad: we stayed on the third floor, which was a labyrinth of long hallways (with our room all the way at the end). The hallway carpeting was flithy. When we reached our room, we realized the main light in the entry area was out. I was too tired to call anyone at that point, and I didn't really want repair people in our room while we were gone the next day, so we just kind of lived with it. The room ended up being pretty dark, with only two bedside lamps and one desk lamp. All of the lamp shades looked 20 years old, minimum. The carpet was not very nice, nor were the curtains. The bathroom was WAY too small - no room for toiletries on the sink, and could barely move in there. The toilet was the type you would find in an airport or public school. The air-conditioning unit was an ancient wall unit, which randomly shut off every 1/2 hour or so. I had to keep getting up in the middle of the night to turn it back on. Also, it was loud. Overall cleanliness was not great. When we first arrived, there was a long curly dark hair in the bathtub. The bathtub was also dusty, as if it either hadn't been used and/or cleaned in a long time, or it had been cleaned with an already dirty cloth - gross. There was a vent in the bathroom that was packed with dust and looked like it had never been cleaned. There were not enough outlets in the room: my husband and I had between us two phones and one tablet, and these could not all be plugged in while having all the lamps plugged in at the same time. Once you throw my hairdryer into the mix, just forget about it. On our second day in the room there was another long curly dark hair on our white bedspread.

The breakfast was unimpressive. Juice from concentrate dispensed from a machine, few options for cereal, all baked goods clearly came right out of a package. I appreciated the warm selection, but the food was of no higher quality than McDonald's. The worst part is that it was all served in plastic bowls, plates, and cups. It seems like investing in some cheap ceramic plates and cheap glass cups would save some money in the long run (and be better for the environment).

Final comment - there were some shady looking guests staying at the hotel, not to mention homeless people loitering immediately outside of the building.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah Z
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Sarah Z,