“Great find in downtown San Diego”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown
Ranked #119 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great find in downtown San Diego”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I went back to San Diego (we just moved away in February) and wanted to stay downtown near all of our friends. I booked this Holiday Inn primarily because they are part of the Intercontinental group so we still receive award points.

What a lovely stay, the staff was top notch and extremely friendly.

The rooms were very nice and the location perfect.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We visited San Diego for the first time (mother & daughter) trip. We have been on 7 vacation trips together and San Diego was our 8th trip. We love their breakfast buffet with a variety of good food to eat. What a Way to start the day! I love their juice..Our trip to San Diego was extra special to me!!

We arrived on Thursday afternoon, front desk was very informative with lots information on great sightseeing tours. We were very greatful for your patience and kindness. Friday, I had the worst toothache (abscess) in my life. I went downstairs to get something to eat where I meet "Midge" for the first time. She could tell I was hurting and in pain! You could tell I had been crying! She was so comforting and give me a "big" huge hug. I received my medication from my dentist who called it in from my hometown. Thank God.. My mom and I went on with our tour. What was so "amazing" is when we arrived in our room! There was 4 cans of soup, bananas and applesauce that was left with a card from "Midge". I couldn't believe it! That was so thoughtful! She went "Over & Beyond". Thank you for your kindness! It meant so much! We can't forget our Wonderful shuttle driver "Hans". You were always so willing to listening to us and tell you about our day. Thank you for being You.. We will never forget your great shuttle service and kindness. You have a Wonderful staff! My mom and I had a great time in San Diego. Most memorable!! Your friends from Albuquerque.......

delta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Our large room had a small fridge, coffee maker and a nice balcony over looking the pool and part of the city. We were picked up early from the cruise ship terminal, checked in with our luggage stored, shuttled to the zoo, picked up at the zoo and next day dropped of at the airport. What a great free service!
The hot breakfast was not only good but had a huge selection of things to eat and drink. In the lobby they had free coffee with a nice sitting area with a big screen TV. Yes, the staff were friendly, efficient, helpful and pleasant. It is a great value and walking distance most places.
Thanks Hans for the tips about your beautiful city and the free shuttle

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a great experience here. We got off the cruise ship and called for a shuttle to pick us up. They were there in 10 minutes to pick us up - a party of 12! They then dropped us off at the hotel. After we dropped our luggage, they gave us a free shuttle to and from the zoo. The next day, a shuttle was available to get us to Amtrak. The cost? Free! Great value here. Hans the driver was the best!
There was free cold lemonade in the lobby. Gret on a hot day. As well, there were cookies at 8 available.
The room was comfortable - AC, nice bed, and good water pressure in the shower. It was clean.
All in all, a great stay. Good value!

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and it is only 10 minutes walk to get to the Gaslamp Quarter and another 5-10 minutes further to get to the baseball stadium. This means that you do not get any noise at nights from outside and it was easy to get to sleep. During the day we could see that a lot of planes were landing as the airport is close by, but could not hear them either!

Room was spacious enough and no complaints about the quality of the beds or the cleanliness of the bathroom. As you would expect, there is daily room service and the room had a small fridge which proved very useful. All staff were polite and friendly, helpful with recommendations when necessary. Added bonus was free (buffet style) breakfast which offered a fairly good choice.

We did notice that there were a lot of homeless people on the nearby streets, but at no point did we feel threatened.

To summarise, if you have stayed at a Holiday Inn before you should know what to expect and this hotel will not let you down, especially considering the price being paid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I visited San Diego for the first time and stayed at the Holiday Inn for a friends wedding. This hotel is in a pretty good location as far as convenience to restaurants and bars. The hotel could definitely use some renovations in the rooms, especially the bathroom which was in serious need of some help.

The majority of the restaurants and bars are several blocks away but it's nice to get out and walk around the city and see everything. The breakfast in the morning was also a plus. Overall this was a pretty good hotel...definitely not the newest, but for the price and convenience it seemed worth the money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aggieally
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days last week and enjoyed my stay. Great location for Balboa Park- walk 2 blocks across the freeway and your there (well the outskirts- you still have about 1 mile until you reach the main area). Pretty far away from the harbor- but they do have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within about 2 miles and it seems to run on your schedule not theirs. Downtown does have advantages- lots of business and near freeways, but does have drawbacks. Homeless around (especially near the courthouse @ 1st & C) and the hotel area is pretty quiet at night. 3 blocks from the trolley and around the corner is a great pub called Stout. Rooms are good- as most people have stated, the bathrooms are small. Really tight for a couple- it's a 1 person bathroom max. Hospitality pledge is a nice touch- shampoo, toothpaste- if you need it they will provide it- free. Bed was fine- not plush, but satisfactory. TV channels are odd- I know you're vacationing, why do you care about TV? Well, I do. The rooms only have 2 local channels- both independents. So, no CBS or Fox, or NBC. They also don't have ESPN, but they do have the Golf Channel? The lobby does have a nice flat screen with all channels- so I did get some Monday Night Football there! Free Hi-Speed in room was solid. Pool area looked well kept, but no umbrellas so be careful in the daytime. Social hours- weekdays 5-7 with free cocktails in the lobby. Nice idea, but only wine & warm beer on 1 day? C'mon- better planning! Free breakfast is always a great deal but avoid the eggs- mealy. Cinnamon rolls rock! Coffee is really weak. Dining room service was excellent and so was housekeeping. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room with a balcony- I didn't get one and the view of the roof wasn't e...