Like everyone else, we stayed at the Bay Club Hotel based on the reviews. However, I'm beginning to think that some of the reviewers don't get out much. Reading the 5 star reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. So here's my take:
1. My overall rating is around 3.5 stars; 2. The location is excellent--easy access to airport and all touristie activities; 3. The location is quiet other than the Humphrey Hotel next door--don't plan on going to sleep until 11pm on some nights (loud music); 4. Even though the hotel is dated, that should not stop you from staying there; 5. We stayed on the 2nd floor with a marina view and balcony--you want this view (very relaxing); 6. Our room had two queens--the mattresses are very firm but the pillows have a lot to be desired; 7. The room itself is like your average hotel rooms; 8. They call their rooms air condition, I call them swamp cooler air conditon--if you're a light sleeper, they could be a bit noisy. 9. The hotel is smoke free, however, you do have your smokers on the balcony and down by the pool side; 10. There maid service is excellent--please tip them they do earn it; 11. The pool and spa is Ok; 12. There free morning breakfast is nothing to crow about--it's not your Embassy Suites breakfast meals though;13. The breakfast is premade for you to dish up--scrambled eggs, french toast or hot cakes, sausage and bacon, cold ceral, fruit, breads, muffins, and pastries--the coffee is OK; 14. Hotel staff was good; 15. Would I stay here again--yes but not during the summer--I think you can get better deals at nearby hotels for the same fees. Plus there's restaurants within 4 miles that would give a better quality breakfast for your dollar value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greetings from San Diego and beautiful Shelter Island, home of San Diego's best-kept secret, Bay Club Hotel & Marina! Our scenic waterfront location in Point Loma is conveniently close to San Diego International Airport, the Gaslamp Quarter, Sea World, the world-famous San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, the Convention Center and local beaches. We are honored to have been inducted into TripAdvisor's Hall of Fame, having been awarded their coveted Certificate of Excellence each year from 2011 through 2017. As our guest, you'll be delighted with our waterfront location, nautical decor, beautiful restaurant and lounge, and our friendly and devoted staff. The Bay Club Hotel & Marina is the only hotel on Shelter Island offering a secure underground parking garage with convenient parking for a nominal nightly fee. Also, we do NOT charge resort fees. Each of our 105 guest rooms and suites are non-smoking and offer breathtaking views of San Diego Bay or our private marina and picturesque Point Loma. You'll enjoy our 42-inch HDTV's and free HBO and Disney channels. Our guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi; complimentary weekday USA Today newspapers; complimentary morning coffee in the lobby; and airport, Amtrak and cruise ship shuttle for a nominal fee. Be sure to check out our gift shop offering travel necessities, snacks, drinks and a wide range of souvenirs. Take a dip in our heated outdoor pool and hot tub, both with a fantastic marina view. Relax and unwind in our newly renovated restaurant, The Quarterdeck, with its fresh modern decor and a unique nautical theme along with great prices! Come join us for breakfast, a business or casual lunch, Happy Hour Monday through Friday, or a delicious dinner. Enjoy a cold beer or glass of wine from our large selection of craft beers or our delectable wine list. Patio and outside dining are also available with panoramic views of San Diego Bay and the Point Loma hillside. Be sure to ask about our dinner package, which includes dinner for 2 in The Quarterdeck restaurant and a bay or marina view room along with complimentary parking. Or, try our Shelter Island Escape package and you'll enjoy two welcome drinks and appetizer along with breakfast for two. We look forward to welcoming you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Bay Club Hotel & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bay Club Hotel And Marina
- Bay Hotel Marina
- Bay Hotel San Diego
- Bay Club Hotel Marina