“Neutral / Average Review”

Bay Club Hotel & Marina
Ranked #50 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Like everyone else, we stayed at the Bay Club Hotel based on the reviews. However, I'm beginning to think that some of the reviewers don't get out much. Reading the 5 star reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. So here's my take:

1. My overall rating is around 3.5 stars; 2. The location is excellent--easy access to airport and all touristie activities; 3. The location is quiet other than the Humphrey Hotel next door--don't plan on going to sleep until 11pm on some nights (loud music); 4. Even though the hotel is dated, that should not stop you from staying there; 5. We stayed on the 2nd floor with a marina view and balcony--you want this view (very relaxing); 6. Our room had two queens--the mattresses are very firm but the pillows have a lot to be desired; 7. The room itself is like your average hotel rooms; 8. They call their rooms air condition, I call them swamp cooler air conditon--if you're a light sleeper, they could be a bit noisy. 9. The hotel is smoke free, however, you do have your smokers on the balcony and down by the pool side; 10. There maid service is excellent--please tip them they do earn it; 11. The pool and spa is Ok; 12. There free morning breakfast is nothing to crow about--it's not your Embassy Suites breakfast meals though;13. The breakfast is premade for you to dish up--scrambled eggs, french toast or hot cakes, sausage and bacon, cold ceral, fruit, breads, muffins, and pastries--the coffee is OK; 14. Hotel staff was good; 15. Would I stay here again--yes but not during the summer--I think you can get better deals at nearby hotels for the same fees. Plus there's restaurants within 4 miles that would give a better quality breakfast for your dollar value.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank rscaso

Reviewed July 21, 2008

This was our first trip to San Diego so I did a lot of research before booking anywhere to stay.

The Bay Club on Shelter Island is perfect. It's close to everywhere you would want to be whilst staying in San Diego but far enough away to be relaxing and peaceful.

We booked a marina view room after reading some of the reviews on here and glad we did. It appears to be much quieter at the back of the hotel then the front due to the road outside and the Naval base in the bay. Having said that, as the evenings drew in the whole area becomes very tranquil.

The only word of warning is that Humphrey's, next door, holds concerts on an open air stage overlooking the marina. Great if you like the artist, not so if you don't. If we'd known beforehand we could've rearranged our travel dates to coincide with some of the bigger name acts they have.

Overall the Bay Club is clean, tidy, well presented with friendly staff and superbly located.

Would we stay there again? Without a doubt.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Rupert L
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We spent 3 nights in The Bay Club in June.
We had been in Vegas first so we really appreciated the ambience and location on the bay of this hotel. Rooms were very comfortable if not a bit dated. Breakfasts were excellent. Location was perfect for us, quiet but very near all the action when needed.
The walks along the bay were lovely and there were alot of good places to eat in walking distance of the hotel . San Diego is a great city to visit and when we return we will definetely stay in the Bay Club.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2008

I stayed here for three nights on a recent business trip and the location is just beautiful as the hotel is right in the heart of the marina. It is nice to come back after a long business day and have a drink on the terrace overlooking the pool and look out over the marina.

The front desk was very helpful with directions and restaurant suggestions, when my room was not ready upon check in
(I was early) they treated me to a drink, nice touch!

While this hotel is a little old and worn and rooms could use a refurbishing the tropical decor is timeless and they keep it very clean so you do not feel that you have made a bad choice for your stay. Parking is only $10.00 a day and for San Diego it is a real bargain. While I was there on business I did notice that there were many families staying at the hotel.

The free breakfast buffet is great and adds to the value of your stay. I stayed with a business group and booked on Orbitz but someone else in my party called the hotel directly and received a better rate.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank tdboy
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We (four of us) stayed in a one-bedroom suite - Room 274, that faced the marina and partially the property next door (Humphrey's Half Moon). The room was more than spacious, and very clean. Bed in bedroom was comfortable, and they gave us lots of pillows which I really appreciated. The pull-out mattress has seen better days, but my 7-year-old twins didn't seem to notice. The included buffet breakfast was very good, and the waitstaff was always professional, quick and courteous. The little outdoor pool and outdoor hot tub were perfect for hanging out after a day of touring, and it was additionally nice that you could get drinks from the bar and bring them out to the pool. The bar food was marginal - standard hotel bar stuff - we did it one night and never did it again. But the bartenders were great! We really enjoyed the marina view from our room (which we requested) but others may prefer the bay view (you look over a parking lot, a road, and then the harbor/San Diego skyline). One heads up: Next door - Humphrey's Half Moon is a hotel (not as nice as Bay Club, by the way, my husband has stayed there) and outdoor concert venue. Depending on which end of the building you stay on, you can hear (and even see) the performers from your balcony - so don't expect quiet before 10PM. On the flip side - you can get a free concert! We enjoyed Crosby, Still and Nash and the Indigo Girls during our visit. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank SkierMomArlington
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My wife along with another couple made reservations thru the hotel. We were using one of their promos, “Dinner for two and a room with a view” for $189.00 plus tax that included free parking (usually $5.00) and dinner for two. The other night was $139.00 plus tax. A breakfast buffet is included for all guests.

I spoke to Tim, the night manager and set everything up for our April visit. We booked one room with a Bay view and the other with a Marina view. I wanted to make sure that the balconies for each room were able to accommodate all four of us so we could use either balcony. Tim actually went and looked at the balconies and locked in the rooms.

Unfortunately, the morning of our departure, the other couple called to say her husband was sick. I called the hotel to see what options we had. I know the hotel has a 48 hour cancellation policy but when I explained the situation and that we would re-book two weeks later the lady on the phone (can’t remember her name) said no problem. Thank-you! They could have dinged us for the one night.

Two weeks later the four of us arrive at the hotel at noon. We checked in at the front desk but only one room was ready. The other room would be ready around 3 pm. They took my cell number and said they would call when it was ready. We took all our bags to the room that was ready and had lunch at the hotel. The lunch was very good and no more expensive than your typical restaurant. Later we took a walk out to the grass area on the Bay side of the hotel. Excellent views.

Just after 3 pm Tim called and said the other room was ready. We met Tim at the reservation desk and he said that the room we had taken our bags to wasn’t one of the rooms he had reserved for us. Then he took us thru the Hotel and showed us about 6 different suites! Cool. Have never had that happen before. We ended up choosing a suite on the first floor on the corner with a Marina view for our friends. It had a HUGE balcony. We could have put 15 people on it. Since we now planned on using this balcony for our cocktail hour(s) my wife and I chose a suite with a Bay view on the second floor without a balcony.

We had an excellent dinner at the hotel that was included in our package. Everything was cooked perfectly. Tim even came by to say hello. Nice touch. Service was good as well and the view can’t be beat.

The breakfast buffet was good both mornings. Bacon, sausage, eggs, fresh fruits, etc. with orange juice and apple juice. It wasn’t very crowded which was nice also.

The hotel is an older property but very well kept. We noticed they were refurbishing several rooms during our stay but never heard any noise.

The staff was great. Thank-you, Tim and the rest of the staff. Would definitely stay at the Bay Club again. Thanks for reading.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gonow46
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is my second visit to Shelter Island. I much preferred this property to my other stay at Kona Kai. Shelter Island is a thin strip of land, and the architecture of this building provides water views for all rooms. The service was excellent. I found this facility to be relaxing and peaceful.

Shelter Island is a short drive from the airport and within walking distance of several restaurants. However, I would recommend renting a car if you stay here. I found it very easy to drive to all the attractions from here. There is a small public beach across the street and about a ten-minute drive to Ocean Beach. It is a quieter part of town if you're looking for a more peaceful place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family