“Spectacular wine tasting tour”
Review of Baja Winery Tours

Baja Winery Tours
Ranked #6 of 109 Food & Drink in San Diego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed April 10, 2015

I LOVED this wine tour! I don't even think i would call it a wine tour, it was more like a wine and food and sightseeing getaway haha. I had some reservations about going wine tasting in mexico and having to cross the border but my boyfriend insisted on going because his mom said Valle de Guadalupe was "the next napa valley" so i relented, and i am so glad i did!

We got picked up in San Diego and I didn't even notice we crossed the border until we saw these sweeping beautiful views of the pacific ocean and our tour guide said the road we were taking didn't even go into Tijuana at all. The drive there was pretty quick, just an hour and half and the scenery made it go by quick. We visited a total of three wineries, each one very different with their own particular wines. The first one was called La Lomita, it was small and kind of artsy, one of the owners was SUPER into his wine and very attractive, lol, i could have listened to him talk about chardonnay all day long. I call it artsy because they had beautiful labels and paintings all over the winery, as well as like artisans marmalades and they should us all the inner workings of the winemaking process as we tried three or four wines. They have an adorable huge dog was hanging around that they even have a portrait of by the wine bar, I wanted to steal him!

The second winery was my favorite! It was called Adobe Guadelupe and had a spanish hacienda vibe going on which was very relaxing. They had a more spread out visit than the last one. Like they guy took us to different places on the property so it was like a tour of the different aspects of the winery and hotel. But it did not have a hotel vibe, more like someones ranch haha. With the rosemary growing everywhere, their pool and the restaurants open kitchen smells, I was transported to the French Provence where my family is from, it was lovely. The theme of this winery is angels, but not really in a religious way if that makes any sense, and angel wings which you can find hidden all around the property. The restaurant was called El Jardin, and it looked so good! The chef was from south africa and he told us about the menu, talked about how sustainable and local Valle de Guadalupe is (i think he said 95% of what they use is local), and it sounded so good but we were eating elsewhere, so i guess i will have to return! The grounds of the winery were exceptional with grand views of the vineyards and stables. I loved that the wines were all named after different angels with very elegant labels, I am all about fun labels!

Then we got to eat! It was my favorite part, the restaurant was outdoor patio style serving mostly tapas and lots of interesting drinks, with again beautiful views. I was not expecting to eat this well, apparently real mexican food is not what i thought it was… I was not a fan of ceviche OR octopus (i never had the guts to try either of those before) and i am now a huge fan of ceviche and roasted octopus! I can't believe how good these were, I was so impressed, I wish this place existed in San Diego =( So all said and done we had roasted oyster mushrooms, grilled octopus, clam ceviche, stuffed zucchini, roasted brussel sprouts with malt vinegar, and lamb taquitos/crispy tacos with fresh guacamole to share. Our guide ordered everything for us we just told him what we wanted and he gave great suggestion, and throughout the day he paid for everything, it was all included in the price, it was nice not to have to think about paying and tipping! Speaking of our guide, he knew everything and everyone having to do with food and wine, he was more of a wine and food guru than a tour guide! I had like an hour long conversation with him on the drive back about food and san diego and mexico and france, he was really cool to chat with.

The last winery was very classy, it had its own reservoir and was the greenest and most lush out of the three (i honestly thought Valle de Guadalupe was going to be a desert... oops) and the winery was high up so you could see the whole property. They had a really good white wine that I ended up buying a bottle of it. The drive home went by quick and drove through a gorgeous green valley that i took a million pictures of. We got through the border crossing really quickly too!

Overall the experience was really special and relaxing, they take care of everything so you can just enjoy without stressing over traveling. I am definitely going to do it again and take my mom and aunt with me next time!

2  Thank Anais B
Baja Winery T, Manager at Baja Winery Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2015

We're so glad that you had a good time on the tour! We've tried our best to make what we do more than just a basic "winery" tour and we're happy that you seem to have appreciated that. If you'd ever like to come along again, know that you'll be welcomed with open arms. Cheers!

All reviews
"stuffed zucchini"
"ahi"
"mexican culture"

Reviewed April 3, 2015

I've been on many winery tours, with different groups all up the coast of California, but I've never had more fun then with Baja Winery Tours! From San Diego, it is only a brief 20 minutes south to the border, then off you go into a different land, different culture, and different country! Before contacting BWT, I had no idea what we have at our finger tips in such a short distance. The tour guides were excellent, the scenery was too stunning for words, the Valle de Guadalupe is booming with energy and life, and the included meal with the tour... perfect. The price is right, the people are great, I can't wait to plan another trip. I highly recommend going with Baja Winery Tours, they give you something other cheesy companies cannot- a real tour into the beauty of a land just below our hometown.

2  Thank Ariellamerbella

Sorry it took so long for us to give you a response on here, but we're so happy that you had a good time on our tour. We're honored to have had the opportunity to share the magic of the Valle de Guadalupe with you. If you ever want to attend another tour, know that you're always welcome!