“Can't believe I didn't know about this place before today!”
Review of Stout Public House

Stout Public House
Ranked #1,256 of 4,849 Restaurants in San Diego
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Neighborhood Irish Pub serving great food,16 draft beers, 75 whiskeys and showing all NHL hockey games, Champions League soccer matches, and NFL football games.
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I only saw this pub out of the window of our hotel room at the Se San Diego hotel. I had no idea it existed at all and I only work a few blocks from the location. Well, glad I spotted it since it was good and I'll certainly be back. Looks like a good place for a pre-dinner/drink before heading to a concert at the House of Blues.

It is an Irish pub - but their main stay is Canadian hockey - ok, a bit odd, but whatever works for them. The atmosphere is great inside - dark wood, there's a 2nd floor, nice tables and some sort of booths. They do need a few more TVs - that would improve the viewing a bit more for all the tables.

The menu is good and reasonably priced - they have daily specials - which looked really good, including 3 or 4 kinds of soup - yum! They also serve breakfast all day - nice! Happy Hour is 4 to 8 pm daily and all day on the weekends - very nice. $3 beers and some other drink specials. I think there may have been a wings special on HH too.

Bartendar was very friendly and offered good service. They weren't too busy when we were there, but it was early in the day.

1  Thank SDSpartan

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stout is probably the city's only Canadian-Irish Pub. But the combination works so well. It's an Irish Pub that shows a ton of hockey and serves a combination of Irish and Canadian beers and foods. Since it's right next door to House of Blues it's a great place to go before or after a concert. The food is really good, but there are two things here that make it worth the visit. Poutine - a fantastic combination of french fries, cheddar cheese and beef gravy; and Kokanee - a Canadian glacier water beer that's almost impossible to find. A cool place to hang out and have a few drinks. Prices are very reasonable for downtown. Beers average about $5 each and meals range from the $4 Poutine plate, to $10 sandwiches.

2  Thank Geiszlah
Reviewed September 7, 2010

This is a great Irish Pub & Sports Bar. WONDERFUL selection of Beer, wine, ale, cocktails. Food was amazing! Fun atmosphere and all you need to enjoy whatever is on the many big screens! Good prices too.

1  Thank mlbmickey
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Good food with an daily special that is always worth checking out for both it's home cooking style and value. The atmosphere in this place is a must for any hockey lover during the season because the owners are fans and usually have one or two games one the big screens, obviously a rarity in SD. Great lunch and happy hour crowds also a cool upstairs for private parties

Reviewed July 22, 2008

My husband and I visited our daughter living in San Diego and she took us to a great pub downtown. It was out of the busy gaslamp area so it was a little quieter than the more touristy bars and restaurants,but they still had a nice crowd. The food was terrific and the bartender was very friendly. My husband went back the next night for beers and when we went to get him he'd met some nice regular customers so we stayed for a glass of wine. We had a very nice time. Next time we visit we will definitely go back!

1  Thank twiggy0614