WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersSilver level
Waterloo, Canada
“Fantastic Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed at the Grand del Mar because my husband was attending a conference at the hotel. We booked a different hotel for our last three nights in San Diego but wished we had just stayed at the Grand del Mar as it was a fantastic experience. We were stunned by the level of service at this hotel. Most of the staff could not do enough to help you and constantly offered us service above and beyond that required.
We were very impressed by the room. It was extremely comfortable and quiet and exceptionally well cleaned. The bathtub and shower were both large and comfortable. More water pressure would be nice in the shower but I do understand the need to conserve water.
The public areas of the hotel are very attractive as well. We played golf on the very nice golf course. Fortunately we were able to get the twilight rate as the regular rate is extremely expensive. The golf course was empty and I suspect that is because of the high prices. If you are willing to pay to golf bring your own clubs because the rentals are $85 for a round which is very steep.
I spent two wonderful afternoons at the tranquility pool and enjoyed it very much. A chair cover and towels are laid out for you when you arrive and you will be offered a glass of ice water as well. Through out the day small drinks and frozen grapes are also offered. I had lunch out at the pool one afternoon and while good it was not worth $25 for a salad and a diet coke. There is a sign restricting access to adults only. For some reason a number of families ignored this and walked through but none stayed. There is also a sign stating no cell phones but most (to my disgust!) also chose to ignore this. It is not very tranquil to have a loud one-sided conversion going on beside you. The polite people got up and left the area when they got a call. I would love to see people leave the phones in their rooms and enjoy an afternoon not connected.
I had breakfast at the resort three mornings and was shocked by the prices. The orange juice was the best I have ever had but at $6 it should be. One day my breakfast was $34 including a tip for an omlet, coffee and juice (yes that is the price for one person). The service is outstanding but this is too much for a meal. Breakfast at the golf course grill is a better deal and just as tasty with the added bonus of the view of the course. The resort is quite a distance from other restaurants or I would have left the resort for my meals because of the excessive prices.
Overall it is a fantastic hotel with great service but the extras such as food and golf are too high even for a high end resort. I can not imagine what it would cost to feed a family while on vacation at this resort.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Seoul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

My wife, children loved to stay this hotel more.
Definitely I will visit again.
Kind staff, woderful room & other facillities (swimming pool, tennis court, restaurants..)
I like this hotel more than I can write here.

Naperville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

This was one of the BEST hotels that we have ever stayed at. We came upon this place after having a HORRIBLE experience at Paradise Point in Mission Bay. We called them early in the morning after waking up at Paradise to homeless people outside our bungalow among a hundred of other things! We told them of our situation and they were able to help tremendously. They were so helpful. She stated that we should be able to get into our room by noon. (and we did not pay much more per night as we were at Paradise).

Everyone there was so kind and helpful, down to the very last detail. You can tell the hotel management wants to have their guests treated like royalty no matter who you are and you definitely feel like that. All the staff was just simply wonderful! The rooms were quite amazing. the linens on the bedding was SO soft and the bed was ultra comfortable. The decor was beautiful throughout the hotel and very charming. The pool area was quite nice as well. The kids enjoyed having the pool basically to themselves during the week before the weekend crown arrived. The weather was quite cool while we were there, but it did not keep them out of the pool as they were able to swim with the heat turned up!!! We did eat at the restaurant once and then were out and about most of the other times, so I am not sure how to rate the restaurants. The only thing thatI wished for was an in room coffee maker...with three little ones, I needed my pick me up more than usual and 6 dollars a coffee was quite costly.

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! This was true paradise!!!!!!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

My entire family loved this hotel. It was certainly expensive, but still represented good value for the money. The rooms are large and comfortable, according great views, even the shampoos and soaps were outstanding. I loved the hospitality of the staff. They are youthful and friendly-- I don't think I saw an employee at the hotel who looked older than 30. The staff were well trained, professional, truly outstanding. The hotel grounds were delightful. My children left saying that they couldn't wait to return. I am a critical traveller and cannot think of one complaint about this property.

In fact, when we were checking out, I asked to speak to the manager to offer my compliments and also intended to send a glowing letter to the owner. I almost wish that I had not done this because during the conversation, I learned that the hotel is owned by Doug Manchester. He is a controversial businessperson who has made media headlines because of his financing of conservative social policy issues. Of course, everyone has a right to support what they wish. But had I know this beforehand, I probably would not have chosen to support this business, worrying that my money was being used, in part, to support causes I do not believe in. I was sort of heartbroken because this is a property I would have liked to return to, but probably will not because the owner is very public about his views, and making them so public sort of ties this to his business in a way that private behavior would not.

Of course, TripAdvisor is not about politics and the hotel is fabulous. I share this only because I wish I had known this information before my booking (I had read about Doug Manchester, but didn't know this was one of his hotels). . .many might not care about such matters in selecting a hotel. Details on both sides of the issues can be found by googling the owners name.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank SDP_MSN
La Habra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

Stayed here recently for a weekend retreat with colleagues and was literally blown away by the care and attention to guests from the moment we arrived. I firmly believe that every staff member is committed to making your stay a truly pleasurable experience and they showed it! The rooms are extremely clean and spacious. Ate at both Amaya and Addison - delicious but not spectacular. The spa is not to be missed! If you do not leave relaxed, you have way too much stress in your life!! GO!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

From the moment you arrive you become the Queen (King). The one bedroom suite is perfect for 2 adults, 2 teens as the each half of the room has it's own entrance/exit. You can close the bedroom door and the suite becomes your own. In the morning when the teenagers are asleep you can come and go without disturbing them. Also very pet friendly as they even give you dog beds, bowls and toys for the pups. Service is amazing in every area, everyone there is menat to serve you. They never make you feel that any request is a burden. The prices are very reasonable as I have stayed in so much less for more money. Take a vacation at the Grand Del Mar, you will never want to leave.

Bronxville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2010

We have had the pleasure of staying at some great resorts, and this one is right up there near the top. Set on a hillside overlooking a golf course, this Italian styled hotel is a treasure of a modern day hotel done beautifully to mimic an “Old World” European grand hotel.

From the moment you enter the hotel, you will be impressed with the grandeur of the hotel and of the amazing architectural details used, that clearly show that no corners were cut when building this almost new hotel.

All the standard rooms seem to be the same, just with different views. We had a Fairway view room that overlooked a garden courtyard with the fairway off in the distance. The room was very large, formal but with modern touches. Once again the details in the room were impressive including extra moldings, ceiling stencils, and antique air vents. All the furniture was comfortable including the spacious curved couch that gave a splash of modern décor, in an otherwise more traditionally elegant room setting. The large bathroom was full of marble and included a deep soaking tub, separate shower, and separate water closet. There were also three mirrors framed with faux gold edges that some may consider over the top décor. This type of thing pops up in a few areas of the hotel. Our only complaint about the room was that the balcony did not have any furniture to sit outside and enjoy the view. It seemed that most balconies at the hotel lacked furniture.

All the public areas of the hotel are stunning, some with amazing woodwork. It is all very impressive and fun just to walk around and discover each room and area of the hotel. The hotel information states that the design of the hotel is modeled after the work of Addison Minzer, the famed Palm Beach architect of The Breakers, and it is easy to see why. The exterior of the hotel is also very attractive. Walking around the hotel property is a must and it gives you the chance to enjoy the fountains, statues, and even an antique fire truck. The overall effect is a luxury old European resort, but completely modern and in excellent shape.

We had breakfast each morning in Amaya which is a little less formal looking then other areas of the hotel and has outdoor seating available. The food and service were very good. We used the adult lap pool which is in a nice courtyard surrounded by the hotel on three sides. The family pools are in a more open area with nice views of the hillside and golf course. The gym is very nice with enough equipment to complete a full workout. Next to the gym is a full luxurious spa that is only available for a fee if you are not having a treatment. Since the hotel provides free internet, it is an even trade I guess.

Although the hotel is not near anything, everything is easy to get to within a half an hour. We enjoyed making our way back at the end of our day to a beautiful and quiet oasis that was well worth a little extra drive. Not to be left out was the always friendly and helpful staff. We wish we could have more opportunities to visit this truly amazing resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple