WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was invited for a team offsite meeting at this hotel. I was amazed when I arrived: The entire place is very well organized and clean. The front desk is exactly what we see on the movies. Good, helpful and friendly staff. The room wasnt ready when we arrived, but they text me and offered me to keep my luggage.
The room is very clean and comfortable, even having the parking area view.
I will be back there with my family, since is pretty close to the beach and with a good pool area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was a beautiful hotel, with excellent service. From the moment we walked in, our experience just kept getting better and better. We didn't have reservations, and I called the Grand Del Mar on our drive in from Laguna to Del Mar. I spoke to reservations and they were very polite, they transferred me to the concierge because we wanted race track tickets,( not knowing it was going to be opening day). We spoke to one of the concierge and she was short and rude, to the point that I had to have my husband speak to her because I thought maybe it was me, but it wasn't. We almost cancelled our last minute reservations. When we checked in, the front desk was busy, so one of the floor managers assisted us in checking in. She was very polite and professional. My husband explained to her our experience on the phone with the concierge and she immediately walked us over to the concierge desk and introduced us to Justin Robbins. What a life changing introduction that was. He was beyond awesome! He explained to us that it was opening day, and that the clubhouse tickets were sold out, well he worked his magic and got us 2 clubhouse tickets!, He was able to get us on the sold out shuttle to the race track. Justin's attentiveness and professionalism was better than 5 star. I can't rave enough about him. He arranged a courtesy car for us to Torrey Pines for dinner. He really did an absolute fabulous job! He did so much for us that I don't have enough space to type it all.
We also had spa appointments at the Grand Del Mar- This also was beyond fabulous!. It is the cleanest, nicest spa I have ever been in. The staff was incredible, the massage was even better. I wish I had more time to spend there!
The service in the restaurant's was 5 star. The pool was 5 star. The guys that drove the shuttle bus and courtesy car was 5 star!
If everyone in the world treated each other as the staff treats it's clients, we would have world peace.
Everyone stopped and looked at you in the eye and spoke to you. Anyone walking down the hall to the valet, everyone stopped what they were doing, and looked at you and said, "Good Morning or Good afternoon, how are you?" Walking around the Grand Del Mar, made us happy, the staff was so courteous and friendly it was a pleasure to stay there. I can't wait to go back! This is my number one hotel ever! 5 stars is not enough!

Room Tip: Not sure- We had a king room, it was large and very well decorated!
      Sleep Quality
Deer Park, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Second trip since April 2014 to The Grand Del Mar -- one of the most beautiful hotels ever. The check-in, staff, service, rooms, grounds, golf course, etc. --- everything was top notch/first class. Enough that it was hard to leave the hotel to our other scheduled events. Breakfast room service was fantastic -- so much that we added a tip even though it was already included. Beautiful place, great vacation spot. Can't wait go go again.

P.S. Thank you Mr. Voss for the Advil. Such a small gesture made the rest of our day perfect!

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Theresa T
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

This place is awesome. The grounds, the staff, the service... awesome. Drop dead gorgeous place. It makes the Bellagio in Vegas look like a Motel 6. The pools are insane. And truly, some of the very best food in San Diego is at this hotel. You will probably pay out the nose for just about everything..... but on a scale of 1 to 10, you're getting an 11 on all marks.

Room Tip: Go for 2nd or 3rd floor rooms.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at The Grand Del Mar, San Diego. We keep going back because the service and setting are wonderful. I only wish the hotel was closer to the ocean. It is set up in the hills off of a private road. Very quiet. Service has always been great. The only issue, and it is not too much of an issue, is that the golf course is private for members and hotel guests only and the members can get a little "aggressive" with their pace of play. We finished one of our rounds in 3.5 hours due to being pushed for the last 4-5 holes. And this was after we had let two groups through. If you are going to stay here, and you are not traveling with kids, get a room by the adults only pool. Very quiet and not crowded. Walk out of your room right to the pool.

Room Tip: Traveling without kids....get a room by the adults only pool and spa.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank ChiTown69
Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Went here for a conference at the end of March and was very impressed by the quality of the room with its spacious bathroom, comfortable bed and nice terrace leading to the relaxation pool. Grounds were very nice as well. Definitely not cheap but was very happy, especially with the conference rate. Great outdoor activities and dining nearby too.

Room Tip: Rooms off relaxation/adult pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Carlos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

The Grand Del Mar is an exceptional resort--beautiful, luxurious and relaxing. I love the rooms, the Spa, the grounds and the pools; in addition it has an incredible array of children's activities: Explorers' Club (lots of arts and crafts). I love the sculptures, the nature preserve, golf, the pools, and more!

However, what sets it apart is the outstanding staff and employees who make you feel so welcome. They are the most professional, detailed and caring group of people I have ever met: housekeeping, the valets, Adam, Martin, Zarko Lucic, Nahida, Francisco and Enrique --everyone I have met on the property!.

Adam Goffin and Zarko Lucic are truly the best managers I have ever met in any hotel around the globe. They are so helpful, kind and informative. The Grand Del Mar employs
outstanding young men and women from Brazil, Serbia, Germany, and other countries who really give the place a wonderful international sense of culture and hospitality. It is clear Mr. Manchester has created a cohesive team to run his world class resort.

Today and yesterday I had the good fortune to experience the wonderful detailed service from Jaime or James, Martin, David, Balia, Nicholas, and Brendan. Balia helped me with a thread on my daughter's tank top. Nahida wrote me a lovely birthday note with beautiful red roses displayed so beautifully on a tray. Zarko provided me a pretty orchid plant for our
room and Adam found the perfect room of light, color and views for our vacation. Then I returned to my room to find out I would receive some champagne and torte for my belated birthday of last Sunday!!! While I was getting that special treat here comes Francisco and Enrique to assist me with the fridge for our family goodies--funny, helpful and
right on top of my needs with my daughter.

What a vacation~ What really makes this place is the staff. I think Ms.Brooke Capshaw who is in charge of the Spa and Fitness Center as well as the Explorer's Club which has a myriad of arts and crafts for children of all ages is great!!! She just spontaneously showed me around her area; she was so enthusiastic about her work and job.

It is clear that there is real teamwork at the Grand Del Mar and employees are treated well and are real professionals!

I have traveled extensively around the world and I consider it a world-class resort--the best in the United States and internationally as well.

It is the penultimate--the best of the best! It is the crème de crème.

Note the double pineapples above the arched walkway between the children's and family pool; it is a symbol of hospitality that shines through at the Grand Del Mar.

I would highly recommend it for an extended stay with family and friends!

It is a $350 million Tuscany villa on 420 acres with American pizazz, class, panache with real warmth and sincerity from everyone who works there!! They are great team and Doug Manchester, the owner, has my kudos for creating a world-class internationally sophisticated yet Tuscan (American style) resort!!!!

The Villas are beautiful too for timeshares/stays, too.

The Grand Del Mar is a wonderful place! Come and see for yourself!
Love, love love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Features: They have an excellent Green Program which is completely optional.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family