“Unbelievable - Best Hotel in San Diego”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Unbelievable - Best Hotel in San Diego”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This place is awesome. The grounds, the staff, the service... awesome. Drop dead gorgeous place. It makes the Bellagio in Vegas look like a Motel 6. The pools are insane. And truly, some of the very best food in San Diego is at this hotel. You will probably pay out the nose for just about everything..... but on a scale of 1 to 10, you're getting an 11 on all marks.

Room Tip: Go for 2nd or 3rd floor rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at The Grand Del Mar, San Diego. We keep going back because the service and setting are wonderful. I only wish the hotel was closer to the ocean. It is set up in the hills off of a private road. Very quiet. Service has always been great. The only issue, and it is not too much of an issue, is that the golf course is private for members and hotel guests only and the members can get a little "aggressive" with their pace of play. We finished one of our rounds in 3.5 hours due to being pushed for the last 4-5 holes. And this was after we had let two groups through. If you are going to stay here, and you are not traveling with kids, get a room by the adults only pool. Very quiet and not crowded. Walk out of your room right to the pool.

Room Tip: Traveling without kids....get a room by the adults only pool and spa.
2 Thank ChiTown69
Brooklyn
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Went here for a conference at the end of March and was very impressed by the quality of the room with its spacious bathroom, comfortable bed and nice terrace leading to the relaxation pool. Grounds were very nice as well. Definitely not cheap but was very happy, especially with the conference rate. Great outdoor activities and dining nearby too.

Room Tip: Rooms off relaxation/adult pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
San Carlos, California
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The Grand Del Mar is an exceptional resort--beautiful, luxurious and relaxing. I love the rooms, the Spa, the grounds and the pools; in addition it has an incredible array of children's activities: Explorers' Club (lots of arts and crafts). I love the sculptures, the nature preserve, golf, the pools, and more!

However, what sets it apart is the outstanding staff and employees who make you feel so welcome. They are the most professional, detailed and caring group of people I have ever met: housekeeping, the valets, Adam, Martin, Zarko Lucic, Nahida, Francisco and Enrique --everyone I have met on the property!.

Adam Goffin and Zarko Lucic are truly the best managers I have ever met in any hotel around the globe. They are so helpful, kind and informative. The Grand Del Mar employs
outstanding young men and women from Brazil, Serbia, Germany, and other countries who really give the place a wonderful international sense of culture and hospitality. It is clear Mr. Manchester has created a cohesive team to run his world class resort.

Today and yesterday I had the good fortune to experience the wonderful detailed service from Jaime or James, Martin, David, Balia, Nicholas, and Brendan. Balia helped me with a thread on my daughter's tank top. Nahida wrote me a lovely birthday note with beautiful red roses displayed so beautifully on a tray. Zarko provided me a pretty orchid plant for our
room and Adam found the perfect room of light, color and views for our vacation. Then I returned to my room to find out I would receive some champagne and torte for my belated birthday of last Sunday!!! While I was getting that special treat here comes Francisco and Enrique to assist me with the fridge for our family goodies--funny, helpful and
right on top of my needs with my daughter.

What a vacation~ What really makes this place is the staff. I think Ms.Brooke Capshaw who is in charge of the Spa and Fitness Center as well as the Explorer's Club which has a myriad of arts and crafts for children of all ages is great!!! She just spontaneously showed me around her area; she was so enthusiastic about her work and job.

It is clear that there is real teamwork at the Grand Del Mar and employees are treated well and are real professionals!

I have traveled extensively around the world and I consider it a world-class resort--the best in the United States and internationally as well.

It is the penultimate--the best of the best! It is the crème de crème.

Note the double pineapples above the arched walkway between the children's and family pool; it is a symbol of hospitality that shines through at the Grand Del Mar.

I would highly recommend it for an extended stay with family and friends!

It is a $350 million Tuscany villa on 420 acres with American pizazz, class, panache with real warmth and sincerity from everyone who works there!! They are great team and Doug Manchester, the owner, has my kudos for creating a world-class internationally sophisticated yet Tuscan (American style) resort!!!!

The Villas are beautiful too for timeshares/stays, too.

The Grand Del Mar is a wonderful place! Come and see for yourself!
Love, love love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Features: They have an excellent Green Program which is completely optional.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Magnificent setting, great service. People go out of their way to please you.
Rooms are gorgeous, lots of space. Nice green relaxing views. Programing in the hotel is great so you don't have to leave.
And you don't want to leave this magical place!

Green Features: Trying to go as green as possible. Recycles. Tracks energy use. Energy efficient light bulbs, dimmers, temperature control for A/C. Towel & sheets reuse program.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I can't say enough about this place. From the doorman who offered us fresh bottles of water as we departed and returned each day (they called us by name I might add), to the friendly and accommodating reception staff, to the silent and ever so efficient housekeeping staff...to the immaculate rooms and beautiful decor....Our anniversary stay was amazing. There was a bottle of champagne and dessert waiting for us upon checkin. The room was so exquisitely decorated. The housekeeping wound up my various charging cords and tied them with gold ribbon. The views are relaxing and pleasant. The pools are lovely. The restaurant was delicious and service there was impeccable. Its the perfect getaway. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony over the spa pool offers a nice view and is very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christina T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I will start this off by saying the resort is excellent, the service is really top notch and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. However, keep in mind that this is basically a California countryside resort and not beachside. It is at least a 10 minute drive to the beach. If you came from out of the state for palm trees, the sound of the ocean, and regularly walking on the beach I would probably suggest finding somewhere else.
With that said, I found this resort to be fantastic. It is quite relaxing being in the hills and Monday - Thursday when the resort is not full it is very quiet and peaceful. Friday-Sunday it really packs up from local's coming in for the weekend and is extremely kid friendly. Luckily if you don't want that they have an adult pool which is more quiet and has great food/drink service.
There were a lot of little things the hotel did that I felt were special. I have listed a few here but not nearly all of them.
1. They wrap your cords (phone cords, computer chargers, etc) in a bow with a ribbon to keep them tidy when you leave the room.
2. After I waited a little too long for my car at valet, the valet manager came to my room with a hand written note to apologize for the inconvenience, and he also had a box of chocolates that he left with us.
3. When you order room service for breakfast they remember who ordered what, so when you call to have your tray removed from the room they know what you ordered and instead of just saying how was it, they ask how was your omelet with potatoes.
4. The adult pool staff was fantastic, at your service every second of the day.
Just a lot of little touches that make a big difference in a resort stay.
Overall, I highly recommend The Grand Del Mar if an off the water southern california vacation is what you are looking for. We will for sure return at some point. Thank you to the staff for such a wonderful stay.

12 Thank App19