“Great value”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Very pleased with our one-night stay at the Grand Del Mar. The staff was friendly and helpful. The facilities are amazing (some of the decor is a little over the top but fun to take in). Pools are great. Resort is kid friendly. Obviously not a budget hotel, but fair value. No resort fee (congratulations to the management for this!), reasonably prized breakfast at Amaya ($60 for two). This resort compares favorably to many Ritz Carlton Resorts that we have visited in the past (somehow feels one notch up from Ritz Resorts). Location is isolated, but this is part of the appeal. Hope to visit again soon and play some golf, as well.

Room Tip: Got the impression that all rooms are good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TRIPMEISTER2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

This was our last stop on a weeklong California trip and the perfect way to wind down a tiring trip. Rooms, pools, restaurants and all public areas are beautiful. We loved that they offered different activities at the resort, such as kayaking, fitness classes, etc. The fitness center is also very nice. We would love to come back soon!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelbirds0809
Reviewed June 8, 2014

It's a little out there in terms of location. Premises are kept really nice. Staff was ok not great. The room I stayed in was average, but I was expecting more. On positive side, rooms are very clean.

• Stayed: September 2013
TheGrandDelMar, Executive Director of Rooms at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you for your review. While we are pleased to hear you found our grounds and room cleanliness exceptional, it is disappointing that every aspect of your stay wasn't as notable.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, I kindly invite you to respond to my direct message at your convenience.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
The Grand Del Mar

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent three days at the Grand Del Mar and it is hands down, the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The Hotel and grounds are beautiful. We would leave out of the back of our room, which dumped into the gardens and just go for a walk around the grounds. My 9 year old daughter was in awe. The service on top of this, is what makes this place so special. It's spectacular yet down to earth, which to me make it's better than a Ritz from a service aspect. They never say "No", and genuinely seem to care about your enjoyment. It's as if everyone is invested in the property.

We have been to a lot of nice places, but I would say the Grand was heads and shoulders above the rest.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2014

After a year, I was offered a free spa massage after my initial visit (see my original review).

The spa services were wonderful, I received a glass of champagne with lovely chocolates to accompany.

This spa is lovely. I had a wonderful return. I will be back.

Thank you for extending this offer to me.

Room Tip: Spa visit only
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel was not only incredibly nice, it was very family friendly. We didn't feel at all uncomfortable with our 2-year-old daughter at any of the restaurants or around the hotel. In addition, we called in advance to see if they would be able to let us check in early (we had a cranky, over-travelled toddler) and they accommodated us.
I have never stayed anywhere with such incredible service. Truly a remarkable resort, we hope to make an annual trip to stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank eydevlin2014
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed at this lovely hotel for a few days with our kids during a week away in San Diego. As we had just been staying in La Jolla (right on the beach and during the Concourse de Elegance) this place was really quite and quite remote. If you are into the golf/retirement high-end spa type of isolation, then this is your place.
My one HUGE issue here was discovering that the equestrian facility was not only closed, but had been for some time and will, according to the staff, not reopen. Sad. A big part of booking this place was to scout it out for a company meeting where, as odd as it may seem, horses would be a focus for us. When I asked about future possibilities for a couture type meeting (with a small number of high-end/olympic level performance horses) I was completely dismissed by the staff without any further questions or attempts to assist. For a luxury establishment, that's really not the level of service expected. Still, this is likely not going to be the issue for most folks who book and stay here so I'll move on...
The rooms are lovely and every single thing is decorated to a "T" down to the inscribed sink drains. The tapestry is extravagant and tasteful and the amenities are lovely, really soaking you in the "luxury" feel. The grounds are spotless and, strangely, really feel like Las Vegas - so over the top is every feature. It's pricey, but kid-friendly with lots of options and luxuries should you choose to enjoy them. In the end, I'd say it's a 5 star setup, but still a bit rusty on the delivery. Below is a simple summary:

Pros: Gorgeous, quiet, golf, tennis, swimming and spa resort with equestrian facilities (now closed on site) nearby.

Cons: Service can be short and snooty, "shuttle service" never available, all requests were denied or ignored (room with pool view, no further info on private business meeting accommodations, etc.), expensive and remote (not many dinner options outside of resort)

Would I come back? Maybe, maybe not.

Room Tip: Be specific and make sure you get what you asked for at these prices. We found that other guests wh...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ParadiseAdvice

Thank you for your thorough feedback and kind comments about our Mediterranean design and family-friendly offerings.

We are working to reopen our onsite equestrian center. In the meantime, we do offer offsite trail rides and horseback riding through a partnership with nearby stables. I apologize that our colleagues did not correctly relay this information.

I would like to personally ensure that you receive answers to all of your questions about hosting a meeting at The Grand Del Mar. If you would like to discuss future possibilities, please respond to my direct message at your convenience.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms