“You will be back”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Highly recommend this property! Was guest in the villa for the 4 th time this year, and it just keeps getting better. Great service, grest golf, great gym, greT pool, great pool!!! If you are looking for a 5 star relaxing vacation this is your hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,847)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed a Prado Suite last week for several days. The hotel was superbly appointed, the staff was quite friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, service was somewhat slow in the morning in the main restaurant; the food was, however, quite good. The adjoining golf course was all that one could want. All in all, the experience was very good and we are planning another sojourn there in the near future. It is, however, not an inexpensive place to stay, but the ambience and general experience is worth the price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Outstanding hotel. The facilities are just superb - but the staff are even better. Every single member of staff in every role - concierge, cleaner, gardner, poolside, bar, golf course etc etc was exceptionally courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: I dont think there is a bad room !
2  Thank David P
Reviewed August 18, 2013

What set this hotel apart by far was the service. First of all, go in knowing that this is a gigantic hotel and grounds - multiple pools and expect to walk a bit just to get around. This could have made it feel impersonal, but the staff really put effort into personalizing everything. I called in advance to understand the room classes and my husband and I were able to get a ground floor room right off of the adult-only pool, including a small (if not very private) patio. The pool was very nice - a long, shallow saltwater pool. Never very crowded and the no kids or cell phone rules were strictly enforced, which made it truly relaxing. Rooms were large and well-equipped - it even had a nespresso coffee maker for a perfect cup of espresso in the afternoon. The two things I wasn't as happy about - every time we talked to the concierge, they seemed to infer a false sense of urgency in booking things (restaurant reservations, beach shuttle). I also didn't think that the food or service at the restaurants was fantastic (not bad, but not at the level of everything else).

Room Tip: Call ahead - if you don't have kids, get a room near the adult pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TripCrazyLA
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just read a review of someone who said this wasn't a place for kids. I couldn't disagree more. We took our ten and twelve year olds here for a week and everyone had a blast. The service was top-notch and they catered to our every need. The family pool was perfect and my wife and I both enjoyed the spa. I got a massage on my next to last day and I wish I could have had time for another. If you do get a deep-tissue massage, be sure to ask for Christina B. She was the real deal, a thai massage trained expert, and she left me with stretches to last a lifetime. Also, the workout room was first class.

The hotel location is ideal and it is quiet and beautiful. We drove to Disneyland, which only took 1:20 minutes. Sea World and the San Diego Zoo were both only 20 minutes away. The Aquarium and Safari are also close by. We all loved the Sea World and, of course, Disney. Del Mar Racetrack was ten minutes close and it was great to be there as well. Don't forget to go to Del Mar beach. The hotel provided transportation to and from, and supplied us with chairs, towels, umbrellas and water. The beach was beautiful!!

The rooms are large and beautiful. We put in for a suite, but they were all booked. The room with two double beds was more than fine, but next time I would book a suite. It's only $200/night to upgrade once you are there and they are big and gorgeous. Be sure to put the Do Not Disturb light on if you don't want room service knocking on your door early in the morning,

If I could fix anything, I would upgrade the carpeting (our room looked like it needed a change). Also, the art in the main lobby area should be upgraded to the real thing. I could do wonders with it (being that I am an art dealer). Cudos to the person responsible for the flower arrangment in the main lobby...truly a work of art.

I highly rcommend the Grand Del Mar for a family vacation and to couples looking to get away. Traveling from New York was not fun, but it turned out to be well worth the hassle.

3  Thank kenny a
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have been truly amazed with the Grand Del Mar from the very start on the drive in. It is inland and hidden so it will be a place that will allow you to truly relax. They have two pools one for children and one for adults. The adult pool is a tranquility pool that does not allow cell phone usage so you will truly have an opportunity to be one with your thoughts. The service at the pool was excellent and the lava flow was perfect. If you want to wander around the property you can do so on the trails. One of the trails was not available on my visit but that was okay since the hotel property was large enough to take my walk. When you go to lunch make sure that you order the shrimp as your appetizer as the red sauce had a truly amazing taste that required me to dip the bread when no one was looking. :-) I would also make sure you order the cheesecake and a cappuccino to finish off the lunch.
Now as far as the spa is concerned you need to get a facial (yes you too guys) and ask for Jen. OMG, I told Jen that I did not know whether or not I was asleep or awake. Amazing! The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were perfect and if you want to just hang out in that area you can.

I did not play golf while I was here, but loved looking at the course from the room and know that the balls would have gone straight since these holes near the hotel were soo wide. Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

2  Thank dmas6
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent July 4 of last year in a Toscana suite. We are a family of 5 -- with twin 6-year-olds and a 3-year old toddler. The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating, the rooms were so comfortable and beautiful and the food was simply fantastic. One night we stayed in and ordered room service -- we asked for candles and special breads and the hotel staff outdid themselves. And then the hotel topped itself -- they put on a 4th of July beyond anything my husband and I have ever seen anywhere. There was a fabulous country rock-n-roll band that performed the pledge of allegiance to music followed by a fireworks display only seen in dreams or movies. An extravagant buffet and music went on into the night. The suite had a kitchenette - fully appointed - and a dining room. At one point I realized that the dining room table finish was incredible -- no matter what my kids spilled on it - the liquid beaded up. Before we left I asked the concierge if she could find out what they had done to finish the table -- this is something I could certainly use at home!! We checked out on a Saturday -- can you imagine my surprise and delight when a hotel engineer called me --- on Sunday!! --- to tell me about the table and send me a tear sheet?! The hotel may be pricey -- but we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We prefer a high room with a balcony. But that's just us.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family