“I love pool boys”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ladner, British Columbia, Canada
“I love pool boys”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went for my niece's graduation from university in San Diego. I absolutely loved this hotel. The pool felt like silk and was the perfect temperature. I play 9 holes of golf and did really well until the sand traps on the 9th. The room was spacious and nicely appointed. I would love to go again but this was really a once in a lifetime for me so I'm happy I took advantage of it. Back to Bestwestern for me.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carol L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Korean first
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I spend around 90 nights a year in luxury hotels all over the world, and rarely does a property stand out. The Grand Del Mar is one that really does. Nestled in a beautiful location 25 mins from downtown San Diego and around 15 mins from La jolly. This place is perfection on steroids. The rooms are huge and fully appointed with everything you could want. The service is great but not over bearing and the setting is heavenly. I loved this place. Granted you are not in the middle of the city and need a car to go anywhere, but that is a small price to pay to experience this amazing place

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Found this hotel on the Internet and booked our stay based on outstanding trip advisor reviews. What a find! Everything was perfect! The room, the service, the grounds, the restaurants, were everything you could possible want from a top resort. It is recently built but has old world charm. There are 2 pool areas, we opted for the relaxation pool near the spa which does not allow cell phones or children. When a cell phone conversation from one of the nearby balcony rooms could be overheard at the pool, security was sent to alert the woman that her conversation was disturbing the serenity of the relaxation pool. Now that's service! We could not get a last minute reservation at the top rated Addison restaurant and instead ate twice at the Amaya restaurant. Each meal was delicious and beautifully presented. We are sure to return here!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a true Luxury Hotel. I stay in hotels often that are rated 4 and 5 star, and this room trumps just about any other. the location allows for large rooms (our bathroom was the size of a NYC hotel room) and they spared no expense. I would stay here again if i was in the area for sure.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms around the gardens are great. they are away from the pool area and have a nice l...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ludge999
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed July 27, 2013

First, this is our second stay at the GDM. We loved it so much we had to come back. This time, we went with 5 other couples all of whom have traveled extensively and have stayed in leading hotels all over the world. Every one of us said we could not think of one hotel that was better than the Grand del Mar. I defy anyone to find a single flaw in this spectacular resort. The Grand del Mar feels like a 'world away'... Thank you staff for making our stay so memorable!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tbk_ksk
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This place was amazing. The property was gorgeous! Rooms large and comfortable, the bathrooms to die for! We had a small balcony with sliding doors and slept all nights with the doors open to the outside. Pure heaven! Milk chocolate dipped oreos or beautifully boxed chocolates were on the bed each night.

The staff went out of their way to be helpful with each and every request. Food at the restaurants was excellent. I took two of the workout classes that were held on a daily basis and enjoyed them both. Loved the instructors!

Wish we could have stayed longer but hope to be back in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have to admit, my wife and I do not regularly stay in Five-Star establishments. Whatever you imagine that to be like The Grand Del Mar is that and more. I really cannot think of anything bad to say about our stay.

You are going to pay a premium to stay here (or any resort). For us, it was money well spent and we had the vacation of a lifetime.

I made my reservation online. After receiving the confirmation, I also got an email from the concierge. This started a thread of messages that lead to every activity and request I had for my trip being noted and planned (they even ask your shoe size for the slippers in your room and the spa).

Check-in was painless. They treated me like a valued guest from the moment the valet opened the door to my car. He took the bag and walked us to registration. The woman at registration was blindingly efficient with the business portion of our transaction and careful and thorough when reviewing our activities and preferences.

After asking if she could help in any other way, we were shown to our room. Many times website photos of hotel rooms give you the impression that the rooms are larger and nicer than they are. This is not the case at The Grand Del Mar. Important tip: get a Terrace Guest Room. You won’t regret it.

Everything about your stay will be personal. Each staff member we met asked about our stay, our activities, and if they could assist in anyway. Unlike customer service at many places, when these people offer to help they mean it. If the person you ask cannot handle your request, the person who can will appear instantly! Here are a couple of examples of the personal service and attention to detail we received.

Upon our arrival we requested a bucket of ice. The second night we requested a bucket of ice which they brought up to us. For the remainder of our stay a bucket of ice was placed in the room each evening, without a request. Like everyone, we leave the charging cables for electronics laying about in our room. Each time housekeeping came through they would wrap up each cable and tie it with a ribbon. Seriously, a ribbon (I have pictures).

We did not eat in every restaurant but we can personally recommend Amaya and Club M. Consult Yelp for restaurants off the property.

I don't know much about spa activities but I enjoyed my massage and manicure (my first one). I cannot comment on pool service because we did not use it. All the reservations through the concierge were exactly as requested. I used this trip as an opportunity to try some things I had never done before. Second tip: they have a car service to get you around but it helps to reserve with that early. I know it will not seem like it when they serve you, but there are other guests also requesting the car service.

Final tip: if you plan to have both a massage and a surfing lesson during your trip, schedule the massage after the surfing lesson, not the other way around.

As I said at the beginning, this was a dream trip.

Room Tip: Get a Terrace Room
Green Features: When you check-in the ask if you want to participate in their "green" program and explain what differences in room housekeeping that entails. Participate! You will not notice any reduction in service or cleanliness.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple