WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Fairmont Grand Del Mar

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beautiful property, impeccable service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is breathtakingly beautiful with well manicured grounds and very nice rooms. We've stayed in many hotels and this is by far the best in many years. The only thing I could complain about is that their trails were closed during our stay, which was a mild disappointment. I can't see how you could regret a stay at this beautiful resort.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

One word describes a stay at this hotel and that is SPECTACULAR! I will break it out into several areas.

Location: Is It on the ocean? No. Does that matter, No. And frankly the properties in this area that are on the ocean or with an ocean view, cannot touch the experience of the Grand. So you decide. Do you want a view or an entire experience? You will still have a fabulous view as the property is set on amazing grounds with fountains, lovely pools, gardens, and wide canyon views, so do not think that you are located inland with no view. That couldn't be further from the truth. And they do have beach service so they will set you up at the beach which is almost better!

Overall Property Appearance: As you enter, driving up the winding tree lined drive, you will have a stunning golf course on your right and beautiful homes on your left. At the top of the drive you begin to see the hotel to your right and it is absolutely beautiful. Beyond the hotel and a bit further up the drive is the entrance to the Golf Club and Addison's, the hotel's fine dining restaurant.

Rooms: We had two rooms that were adjoining but you entered a small foyer first, then to the right was the King room door and to the left was the double Queen room. I found this much more appealing than the typical adjoining room that has the adjoining door in the actual bedroom. Both rooms had lovely views off the terrace and were located not above, but near the relaxation pool (aka Adult Pool). I asked for a very quiet room and these rooms were perfect. It was quite a walk from the main lobby but very close to the spa and the above mentioned pool. I'm sure the distance from the main lobby was to accommodate my request for quiet. The rooms were very large, had outstanding bathrooms, Nespresso coffee makers, dressing table and very comfortable beds. Perfection!

The Colleagues (aka staff) - I am a Ritz Carlton loyalist and because of that, I am very particular when it comes to staff. I notice how I am greeted, if they remember my name and call me by name, if they say no for requests, do they leave the desk to point me to my room, etc. These ladies and gentlemen truly went above and beyond to accommodate our every wish. The ladies at check in were personable and outgoing. I loved their cream suits and actually thought that the Ritz might want to look at them, they were lovely. The bellman that showed us to our room was aware of the request for a quiet room and asked if ours would suffice. Nice touch. Every single staff member we passed in the hall smiled and said hello and asked if we needed directions (it is a very large property). Again, all in all....5 Star!!

Food: We used Room Service for breakfast every day and once for dinner. We had to ask that they send the breakfast 30 min. earlier than their menu stated they opened each day as one of us was in town for work and and needed to leave the hotel very early each morning. Their response, "no problem" and they were there at 5:30 AM sharp each day. The young lady I spoke to asked me on the second day if they were on time the first day. Just checking, but nice touch. The food was always lovely, without any mistakes and hot. 5 stars!!

Pool: There is a Relaxation Pool (adult pool) that is cell phone and child free! Wonderful! It is located outside the spa so very convenient to go to after your spa services. The staff, especially Esteban and Noel, saw to our every need and were outgoing and very charming to speak with. The chairs are extremely comfortable, the pool menu was great and so was the food. I recommend the salmon salad! While there they served complimentary samples of various smoothies on the menu and on our last day they brought fruit skewers. The pool is very well heated and has underwater sound that is easily heard. 5+ Stars!

Spa: I used the spa for a massage and pedicure. I don't even know how to thank Scott, my masseuse, for his help with a neck and shoulder issue I have fought for months. I believe that Scott is voted either the best masseuse in S. Cali or at least in San Diego. I completely understand why! He is trained in so many specialities and is so knowledgable that I wish I had gone to him my first day so that I couldn've fit in two appointments while there. You absolutely need to request him! Thank you Scott! My pedicure was done by Teresa and she was just wonderful. So gentle and so relaxing to be around. I recommend her highly. But it wasn't just my services that impressed..... from the moment I walked in and Nicole checked me in, I felt welcome and special. Nicole is a warm and lovely young lady and from Nicole I was led to the Spa Concierge desk to meet Jessica, a charming vivacious young lady who gave us a thorough spa tour and made sure we had any refreshments (muffins, almonds, tea, coffee, etc) we desired. So from check in forward, my spa experience was fantastic! 5++ Stars!!

Food: We ate at Amaya and sat outside on their lovely terrace. The salmon was wonderful as was the Free Range Chicken dish. We also enjoyed their high tea which again, rivals the Ritz Carlton. The young lady conducting the tea was very knowledgable and the tea selection was wonderful. I recommend the White Ambrosia! The only thing I can say is go hungry and don't plan for a large dinner that evening. There is a large amount of food, all delicious, so go knowing that and indulge. It does book us fast on certain days so make a reservation early to make sure you get in.

They also have a well equipped workout room that my husband and I enjoyed and the property has hiking trails that are extensive. We took a hike our first day and truly enjoyed it. There are riding trails nearby and a stable outside the entrance if you want to ride. The stables are not a part of the Grand.

If you are visiting San Diego and do not mind being off the ocean, I say "Do Not Miss this Hotel". It is truly one of the best hotels we have had the pleasure of staying in and my hat is off to their GM for creating such a fabulous experience for their guests. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I would stay on the 3rd floor which is the top floor and the floor for the main lobby. Staying abov...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank JBHAtlanta
Gainesville, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This could well be the best hotel that we have ever used. The rooms are top notch, the staff is well trained, and accommodating. The staff does not know how to use the word "no". We would stay at this facility any time we return to San Diego.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

As others have noted this is a spectacular property. We had a lovely room with a terrace that lead right to the relaxation pool across from the spa. The spa was wonderful and I loved the free yoga classes. My only reasons for not giving this 5 stars are very minor: #1- I used up the fantastic body lotion after two days and house keeping did not replace it. I am sure I could have received a new supply if I'd asked but.... #2 at the pool the frozen drinks are not made with fresh fruit. Ok, so maybe I sound like a diva but if you are paying this much, these are little details that should not be missed. Otherwise the Grand Del Mar was wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ssphl22
Venice, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am from Beverly Hills and love the Peninsula Hotel for the service and food .... this hotel is one of the only hotels that I have stayed at that has high quality service and great tasting food. My husband and I stayed here for the July 4th week - and it was exactly what we needed: relaxation and luxury. The spa is great . . . the adult pool is peaceful and attendants are very attentive... the gym is nice too. If you happen to be here during the July 4th holiday- they have a very impressive fireworks display ... it also comes with a BBQ option .... that is something I wouldn't do again . . . too many people .... eat wherever you want (in the hotel or out) and just take the opportunity to watch the fireworks from one of the many balconies on the property. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the housekeeping service superb. Another pointer - the breakfast is the one meal that is not extraordinary . . . nothing to complain about -- but nothing spectacular. If you want a relaxing 5 star luxurious getaway - especially if you are from LA and just want to drive and spend a few days away from the city - try this resort. My husband LOVED the gold course here too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NICKIE D
Auburn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow...I could probably write pages & pages about our unbelievable expe reinvent we just had the past 5 nights here, but I'll try to be brief (but I don't want to leave anything out!)

Before we came, concierage was so helpful lining up outside activities! Holly even arranged for us to have a courtesy car take us to lunch in La Jolla one day (parking would be difficult the July 4th weekend), get us fron lunch to our kayak outfitter & after our kayak (this is a service the hotel provides). It was so nice!

The resort is simply exquisite. This was definitely a splurge for us, but after staying here, not one regret! Worth every penny. The detailing in the decor not just in the main areas but in the guest rooms...crown moulding in the bathrooms, great lighting, heavy wooden doors, even decorative a/c vents! The beds were so comfortable. The balcony off our room was so nice. Complimentary water bottles every night in the room & at the valet. Flat screen TV centered in a decorative frame on the wall. Huge bathroom with huge tub (Bath salts replenished each day & rose petals!), large shower, Dressing area.

Service: staff is so friendly and they remember your name. Our driver (Kirk) who took us to La Jolla two days before saw my son & struck up a conversation him about basketball (what they talked about before). When we realized after the gift shop closed that we forgot my son's contact solution, she called for security to open the doors. When we realized the gift shop didn't have any, an employee gave us some of theirs. The pool service is great- place towels out for you, food is brought on bed trays to make eating & lounging easier.

The fitness room was impressive! Although I did not take a class, workout classes were available every day.every workout equipment you could want was in this facility (even bands, Pilates rings, bosu & stability balks).

Lots of different areas around the hotel to sit, relax, enjoy a drink. The lounges were beautiful...again, the detail in the decor. No expense was spared in building & furnishing this resort. Even the lounge chairs by the pool were high end.

Coffee is complimentary before 8am FYI in their cafe.

Must try the smoothies- I had one every day. And their ice cream...homemade!

And even though this resort has the high class appearance of an adult-only resort, it was very family friendly. We were there from July 4-9, so lots of families in the beginning of our stay.

They have fun activities for kids/families each day. We participated the the Glow in the Dark driving competition.

I'm a germaphobe & I'll say this is the first place I never worried about cleanliness in the room (bedding included).

We have stayed at alot of nice places, but this blew them all out of the water. We are forever spoiled!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank bkdj96
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to spend a night here recently to celebrate our birthdays. From start to finish, I was thoroughly impressed by the standard of the service by all the staff who remembered our names and treated us like VIPs (thanks Brittany for organising everything so effectively in advance!)

We were delighted to find Prosecco and cake had been delivered for our birthdays when we got to the room. The room itself, a pool-side King room, is among the larger and most beautiful I have stayed in anywhere in the world, with an enormous bathroom and walk in wardrobe. Having access to the adult only pool from our patio was a plus and the poolside waiters looked after our every need (bringing around small snacks of fruit and smoothies regularly as well as setting up all the loungers/shade for us). The grounds are pretty and it's worth a walk around.

We ate at Addison, which has won various awards for being San Diego's top restaurant. The meal itself was delicious and the service impeccable but the restaurant was so large and there were so few diners inside that we felt a little bit as though we were eating in a big, empty hall (though we were there on a Wednesday so possibly a less busy day). I was very surprised (having not seen a menu or price list either on the website or in the restaurant itself) that the meal came to over $1000 (8 course tasting menu with wine matching) for two of us. This makes it more expensive to eat at than the double Michelin starred Le Gavroche in central London which is fully booked everyday three months in advance! Although more expensive than more acclaimed restaurants, we did have a great meal and great time.

Overall we had a great time and the Grand Del Mar deserves the highly rated reviews - come here and enjoy having your every need looked after!

Room Tip: We loved our poolside King room by the adults only pool- definitely worthwhile if you don't have...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple