“One of the best”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This could well be the best hotel that we have ever used. The rooms are top notch, the staff is well trained, and accommodating. The staff does not know how to use the word "no". We would stay at this facility any time we return to San Diego.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Grand Del Mar

Reviewed July 14, 2013

As others have noted this is a spectacular property. We had a lovely room with a terrace that lead right to the relaxation pool across from the spa. The spa was wonderful and I loved the free yoga classes. My only reasons for not giving this 5 stars are very minor: #1- I used up the fantastic body lotion after two days and house keeping did not replace it. I am sure I could have received a new supply if I'd asked but.... #2 at the pool the frozen drinks are not made with fresh fruit. Ok, so maybe I sound like a diva but if you are paying this much, these are little details that should not be missed. Otherwise the Grand Del Mar was wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ssphl22
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am from Beverly Hills and love the Peninsula Hotel for the service and food .... this hotel is one of the only hotels that I have stayed at that has high quality service and great tasting food. My husband and I stayed here for the July 4th week - and it was exactly what we needed: relaxation and luxury. The spa is great . . . the adult pool is peaceful and attendants are very attentive... the gym is nice too. If you happen to be here during the July 4th holiday- they have a very impressive fireworks display ... it also comes with a BBQ option .... that is something I wouldn't do again . . . too many people .... eat wherever you want (in the hotel or out) and just take the opportunity to watch the fireworks from one of the many balconies on the property. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the housekeeping service superb. Another pointer - the breakfast is the one meal that is not extraordinary . . . nothing to complain about -- but nothing spectacular. If you want a relaxing 5 star luxurious getaway - especially if you are from LA and just want to drive and spend a few days away from the city - try this resort. My husband LOVED the gold course here too.

3  Thank NICKIE D
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow...I could probably write pages & pages about our unbelievable expe reinvent we just had the past 5 nights here, but I'll try to be brief (but I don't want to leave anything out!)

Before we came, concierage was so helpful lining up outside activities! Holly even arranged for us to have a courtesy car take us to lunch in La Jolla one day (parking would be difficult the July 4th weekend), get us fron lunch to our kayak outfitter & after our kayak (this is a service the hotel provides). It was so nice!

The resort is simply exquisite. This was definitely a splurge for us, but after staying here, not one regret! Worth every penny. The detailing in the decor not just in the main areas but in the guest rooms...crown moulding in the bathrooms, great lighting, heavy wooden doors, even decorative a/c vents! The beds were so comfortable. The balcony off our room was so nice. Complimentary water bottles every night in the room & at the valet. Flat screen TV centered in a decorative frame on the wall. Huge bathroom with huge tub (Bath salts replenished each day & rose petals!), large shower, Dressing area.

Service: staff is so friendly and they remember your name. Our driver (Kirk) who took us to La Jolla two days before saw my son & struck up a conversation him about basketball (what they talked about before). When we realized after the gift shop closed that we forgot my son's contact solution, she called for security to open the doors. When we realized the gift shop didn't have any, an employee gave us some of theirs. The pool service is great- place towels out for you, food is brought on bed trays to make eating & lounging easier.

The fitness room was impressive! Although I did not take a class, workout classes were available every day.every workout equipment you could want was in this facility (even bands, Pilates rings, bosu & stability balks).

Lots of different areas around the hotel to sit, relax, enjoy a drink. The lounges were beautiful...again, the detail in the decor. No expense was spared in building & furnishing this resort. Even the lounge chairs by the pool were high end.

Coffee is complimentary before 8am FYI in their cafe.

Must try the smoothies- I had one every day. And their ice cream...homemade!

And even though this resort has the high class appearance of an adult-only resort, it was very family friendly. We were there from July 4-9, so lots of families in the beginning of our stay.

They have fun activities for kids/families each day. We participated the the Glow in the Dark driving competition.

I'm a germaphobe & I'll say this is the first place I never worried about cleanliness in the room (bedding included).

We have stayed at alot of nice places, but this blew them all out of the water. We are forever spoiled!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank bkdj96
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to spend a night here recently to celebrate our birthdays. From start to finish, I was thoroughly impressed by the standard of the service by all the staff who remembered our names and treated us like VIPs (thanks Brittany for organising everything so effectively in advance!)

We were delighted to find Prosecco and cake had been delivered for our birthdays when we got to the room. The room itself, a pool-side King room, is among the larger and most beautiful I have stayed in anywhere in the world, with an enormous bathroom and walk in wardrobe. Having access to the adult only pool from our patio was a plus and the poolside waiters looked after our every need (bringing around small snacks of fruit and smoothies regularly as well as setting up all the loungers/shade for us). The grounds are pretty and it's worth a walk around.

We ate at Addison, which has won various awards for being San Diego's top restaurant. The meal itself was delicious and the service impeccable but the restaurant was so large and there were so few diners inside that we felt a little bit as though we were eating in a big, empty hall (though we were there on a Wednesday so possibly a less busy day). I was very surprised (having not seen a menu or price list either on the website or in the restaurant itself) that the meal came to over $1000 (8 course tasting menu with wine matching) for two of us. This makes it more expensive to eat at than the double Michelin starred Le Gavroche in central London which is fully booked everyday three months in advance! Although more expensive than more acclaimed restaurants, we did have a great meal and great time.

Overall we had a great time and the Grand Del Mar deserves the highly rated reviews - come here and enjoy having your every need looked after!

Room Tip: We loved our poolside King room by the adults only pool- definitely worthwhile if you don't have...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark R
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just spent five wonderful days at this beautiful hotel and enjoyed every minute of our stay.
We felt like we were in Italy as the hotel looks like a villa with beautiful grounds and gardens.
The staff could not have been more friendly and inviting. Our room was a very nice size and well appointed.
The restaurants were amazing as well and the best part was that we were able to bring our small puppy with us. They provide you with dog bowls and a bed.
We can't wait to return to the wonderful hotel.

1  Thank travelbug31350
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hubby and I just spent three nights at the Grand Del Mar. I'm a tough critic and could not find fault anywhere with this experience. Bed- perfect. Food - perfect. Activities and amenities - perfect. Service with all the extras - past perfect. If you have the opportunity, stay here. And experience the Addison restaurant if you can afford - most expensive meal we have ever had!

We will be back!