“A beautiful hotel, but guest relations really messed up my 15th anniversary!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Grand Del Mar

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #1 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A beautiful hotel, but guest relations really messed up my 15th anniversary!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This truly is a beautiful hotel, very clean & the food was fantastic.. I wanted to surprise my husband for our 15th anniversary, so I booked the grand, made dinner reservations & asked the person in guest relations for my gift to my husband to set up the room with rosé buds, candles, wine & strawberries.. Yeh right.. When we got back from dinner nothing was set up, just a bottle of wine & our strawberries.. I spoke to them 2 weeks before, the week before, that morning & early that evening to remind them to set up the room..
Their response "yes of course"
They really messed that one up, my 15th anniversary!! Seriously, that really did suck.. Hopefully they won't screw up anyone else's anniversary.. Very disappointing!!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
6 Thank DMHCk
TheGrandDelMar, Executive Director of Rooms at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. Guest feedback is essential to our success, and we are committed to delivering Five-Star service. Our team reviewed the details of your concern, and I can assure you it will not occur again. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Nenad Praporski, Executive Director of Rooms
The Grand Del Mar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

From the Guest Relations agent handling our details in advance all the way thru to Check Out, the experience at The Grand is truly Grand. The staff is fantastic, property gorgeous, dining superb, room luxurious, every aspect five star. Best of all is the top flight golf experience complete with fore caddie, best in the area for us. If you can swing it, spend some time at The Grand.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband had a meeting at the hotel and I was so glad that I joined him on the trip. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are so clean and large. The food was terrific -- we went to the Addison restaurant which is the only five star in Southern California and it was amazing. The food was so rich and light at the same time and they have a 155 page wine list. I would put this on a "top" hotel list! We moved on to stay at a hotel in downtown San Diego and then the Hotel Del Coronado in the same week and if I could do it over, I would have turned the car around and gone back to the Grand Del Mar. The Del Mar is not as close to downtown San Diego but the area is lovely and there is no need to go off the property to eat, every hotel spot that served food that we tried was delicious.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have larger patio areas.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This place is simply amazing. Their attention to detail and customer service is comparable only to the One and Only Resorts. And the property is huge; expansive. Room service was exceptional. Obviously the chefs are top notch and in-room dining is available 24 hrs. We were looking for a summer golf excursion where the temps were not burning hot. San Diego weather is just perfect. The highest temp was 72º during the day. Great golf course and fore caddies come with the green fee. La Jolla is right up Interstate 5 and Torrey Pines is right around the corner from there. We are definitely going back again. We stayed in a Prado Suite. They have two entrances and two full baths with gold trim. Opulent would be the word to best describe the Grand Del Mar. If you dont' want to rent a car, they will drive you anywhere you'd like to go. We went in June and most days were overcast. May and June you get what the locals call the "May haze" and the "June gloom". So our next visit will probably be during July-Aug. We were told high temps may reach 80º during those months; maybe. The golf course is challenging but I was able to shoot 83 with the assistance of our caddy. lol

Room Tip: The Prado Suite is just right for two people. You each get a full bath. lol
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mjack1957
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

While the decor might not be exactly my style I could not find anything to complain about in this hotel. From the minute I checked in the staff were friendly and helpful. My room was large and airy with direct access to the adult pool. The bathroom was large with a small dressing room and I have never seen such a bath tub!
The breakfast buffet was extensive varied. I was in the hotel for a two day meeting, the meeting services were superb. On the final night I ate in the Amaya restaurant and again I could find nothing to fault it.

I was able to avail of the spa when I arrived and I don't think I have ever been so relaxed after a massage.

But of course service like this comes at a price!

PS I have never been so tempted to steal a bathrobe (I didn't!), they were incredible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Beautiful location and grounds so well maintained and great for a stroll around. So many seating areas around the walkways that you can stop take a rest and take in the view. Rooms are huge and bathrooms just as big. All have balconies which is lovely to have a sit out when you get back before dinner. Service is phenomenal nothing is a problem. Greeted with scented cool face towels and fresh lemonade. A cafe is on site which is very useful if you want a light snack for breakfast or a sandwich to take out with you. Tea and coffee is complimentary before 8 too always good in my book. We did the hike on Saturday morning to the canyon which is definitely worth doing and I took advantage of complimentary yoga classes too. Relaxation pool is bliss and apart from the usual iced water you receive smoothies through the day and even suntan lotion

Room Tip: All good! We had a fairway view but having walked around the property all look great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlantic Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Grand Del Mar and wow what a pleasure. The property is very new, about 5 years, but the quality architecture and decorating design give it an old villa feel. The staff is at your service, friendly and welcoming. The rooms are palatial well decorated and the attention to detail is spectacular. We would most certainly come again.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook a pool or courtyard
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
#6 of 281 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 stars 778 reviews
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Been to Fairmont Grand Del Mar? Share your experiences!