“A decadent and luxurious place to stay!”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Del Mar in April for one of his annual business trips. The resort property itself is absolutely one of the most stunning places we've stayed. The staff goes above and beyond the expectation to make guests feel welcome and valued. Entry lobby flowers are breathtaking! Rooms are spacious and have such nice perks as a look through window from the bathroom into the room. (you are able to close the shutters if you like) Make up and turn down services are perfect! Bathroom is large and nicely appointed- very luxurious and even has a flatscreen T.V. Nespresso machine is on the bar and espresso pods are refilled daily. Such a fantastic touch! Breakfast room service is delightful. The bar off the lobby serves delicious drinks with friendly helpful waitstaff. Amaya restaurant is excellent whether seated inside or on the patio. Both areas are great for large or small groups. Grounds are beautifully manicured and although we didn't golf while we were there, the course looked very nice. Nearby neighborhoods make a great place for an afternoon walk/hike. The only two downsides of the Grand Del Mar are that it is not located on the beach, and that because it is a large property, it can be quite a walk to/from your room and other areas. All in all, we will hurry back to stay at this outstanding European-feeling resort. We have already recommended it to friends and family.

Room Tip: The "300" level is the same level as the lobby. All views are beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Ashley H
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Grand Del Mar

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Everything about The Grand Del Mar screams luxury and beauty; ornate but tasteful. It's set in hills above Del Mar California with beautiful sweeping views. The rooms are spacious and luxurious. It's so nice you'll consider just staying in the room as opposed to going out. The staff provides friendly and attentive service. There always seems to be someone asking if they can help with something.
This is a high class hotel that does not insult customers with nickel and dime nonsense.There are no added charges. WiFi is very good and fast and included in the room rate. There is no "resort charge". Self-parking is included.

There is a wonderful Gelato/Sorbet stand that everyone will enjoy. There is an olympic lap pool for adults only and great recreation and pool facilities for kids and families. The exercise/workout facility is as good as one will find at any exclusive private club.

4  Thank Scott W
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed a weekend here at the beginning of March. As a luxury resort, we expected better than average amenities and service, but we were astounded by the quality of both. The resort was amazing, from the rooms to the grounds to the pool. As my wife and I are not golfers, we chose to spend most of our time poolside and the service was exceptional. The restaurants were fantastic, food quality and presentation was almost artistic, and service was again exceptional. They truly cater to the guests in all aspect and detail. Loved our stay and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sheaj00
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our family just had a fabulous long weekend here. It is a bit inland -- so more sun than the coast but also means you have to drive more if seeing the usual San Diego attractions. Quite family friendly though please add the Disney channel to the TV. We wanted to let our child relax at the end of an active day and could find nothing suitable on TV as the Cartoon Network is just inappropriate for her age. Also was surprised that the main family pool had no lifeguard -- most parents were poolside busy chatting and enjoying poolside beverage and food service and not watching their kids in the pool. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
The food was basically very good though occasional misses...but all in all, a great choice.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms great as you can have direct access to lawn areas if you have kids.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bismarck o
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for a nearby luxury, romantic resort and The Grand Del Mar more than exceeded our expectations. We took advantage of their 3rd night complimentary room offer and stayed in the Grand King overlooking the garden. The service alone is top notch. Every member of the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. The grounds are impeccable and there are lots of activities on site to take advantage of.

Some of the highlights:

1) We used the complimentary beach shuttle and the driver set up our beach chairs/umbrella. Concierge also gave us a cooler full of ice and waters (also free).

2) Amazing relaxation pool that was immaculate. No dead bugs or debris floating around. The pool staff also (politely) reminded patrons to get off their cell phones or leave the area so as to not disturb the other guests.

3) Complimentary car service to Del Mar or La Jolla (reserve it early, though)!

4) The staff knows how to take care of the details! Housekeeping ties your phone chargers in a little bow. Bellman gave us cold waters for the road. Front desk printed my boyfriend's 48 page document for free and put it in a nice gold envelope.

5) Saturday AM guided hike.

6) Free self-parking.

My only critique is that the pools/jacuzzis close at 9pm. I understand that it's out of respect for the terrace room guests, but 10pm seems more reasonable, especially for the relaxation pool which is a designated quiet area anyway.

I wish I could give this place 6 stars! I will absolutely be back.

Room Tip: Room numbers in the 300's are actually on the entrance level so no elevator is needed to access...
3  Thank Alicia C
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Staying At the grand del mar was best surprise I have given to my wife for our 5th year anniversary. The room was 5 star and the service couldn't have been better, thanks to Abukar and Travis for providing world class service, I highly recommend this hotel being the only 5 star hotel in San Diego its spectacular. I will be sure to make this a yearly tradition as my wife fell in love with the hotel and the service. Very grateful to the staff at the hotel but especially Abukar at the front desk for being attentive to my needs and making my surprise to my wife amazing. Can't wait to go back. MUST GO

Room Tip: Any room is amazing, can't go wrong.
1  Thank Mustaf A
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We decided to stay at The Grand as a last minute weekend getaway. I saw that this property was top-rated by Trip Advisor, but other than that knew little about it. Wow, were we pleasantly surprised! This hotel is stunning inside and out. Marble and ornate frescos everywhere you go. And the rooms are just as exquisite! The only thing more impressive than the property itself was the service. Everyone we met on this trip was super friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. It started with the bellman who, after escorting us to our room, provided us with several complementary gelato coupons. When we came back to our room that night, my daughter was thrilled to find a huge cookie in the shape of a cat with her name on it. We ate at the Amiya restaraunt several times (dinner and breakfast) and loved it. Lunch at M was also quite enjoyable. The pool, fitness center, and other amenities are certainly world-class. I guess what I liked the most was the peacefulness of the whole place. The Grand's setting among the tranquil Penasquitos Canyon was a nice change from the hustle and bustle of most other San Diego beach hotels. I guess its safe to say that we'll be back. Only question is how soon?

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with a room. Each room is sound-proofed and spaciousness of the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family