“Three nights of amazing accomodations and service” 5 of 5 stars

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #1 of 282 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toledo, Ohio
“Three nights of amazing accomodations and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went to visit my sister and her family who live in Encinitas and stayed 3 nights/days at the Grand Del Mar.

Absolutely the most beautiful property/architecture/materials/ and best service we have ever had!!!!

Everything from the time you hit the front door is top notch and spectacular.

We will be back.

Room Tip: We loved our room that over looked the "Adult Only" Quiet pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Charles I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I spend four days at The Grand Del Mar on a business trip with my wife. The hotel is simply stunning, the rooms could be a review of their own, the staff are both friendly and competent, and the food and dining options are worth a visit on their own. If you plan on visiting the are and are looking for a high quality option, look no further. No stone has been left unturned at this hotel from the fitness center, to the pool, to the dining options, and most importantly the simply fantastic rooms and amenities. We will be back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Poway, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Wow and more wow. My husband and I travel a lot, all over the world and enjoy hotels which provide service, comfort and elegance. Of the many, many hotels we visit and revisit, Grand del Mar ranks in the top three and there is no winner of those three. Living local to Del Mar, the Grand del Mar is a stay-cation for us, but that does not diminish its appeal.

As many reviewers have spoken of the fabulous hotel accommodations, I will give my kudos to the Grand del Mar Couples Golf Package. As a gift to friends for a special birthday we invited this couple to join us at the Grand del Mar for a golf package. The stay included a night at the hotel in their Grand Rooms, one for each of us and two rounds of golf with a shared caddy. The accolades and praises from this couple were non stop. The attention to detail and comfort were more than they had experienced at any other hotel. Besides the room, the golf was top notch. We saw one single player on the course the two days we played, otherwise the course was ours. A challenging beautifully constructed Tom Fazio course with two tee choices for women which from the back tees provided a lot of challenge. But as I am a long ball hitter, I might try the men's forward tees our next visit. What made our golf so memorable and fun was our caddy, Scott. Both couples tipped him $100/each per day, but he earned every penny of this tip. If you play this club as a guest I highly recommend him. He is funny, kind, and a great caddy (oh the stories), and one of the best readers of putts and putting coaches I have experienced. The fun putting was also helped by the pristine condition of the greens. As for mens play, there are three or four mens tees and the guys found plenty of challenge with some good carries from the second tee box for the men.

Our getaway golf package activities included dinner at Amaya (not part of the package) which was excellent. Before dinner we visited the hotel bar, the lobby lounge and enjoyed the inviting fireplace complete with fabulous martinis and wine.

For the $$$ the trip was very reasonable, especially when you add in the two rounds of golf and fabulous hotel accommodations. Selfishly, I hope the Grand del Mar stays unknown to locals and other travelers. We really love the feeling of being one of the few players on the course and one of the most important guests at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maggiephotonut
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at this lovely resort with our 9 year old twins and on our own. What a special treat! From the moment we walked in, we felt the personalized service that this resort is known for. The kids were handed a business card with free gelato scoops. The room was comfortable with appreciated amenities, ie nepresso machine, stocked bar and unlimited bottled water. The rooms were decorated with European touches. We loved the patio which was a treat to wake up to and having espresso either leisurely or my husband had to work early and was able to do this on the patio without waking me or my twins up. The bathroom was spectacular - the soaking tub was a generous size with daily bath salts, nice touch with the tv, generous bath amenities, the closet was huge with a seating area and appreciated the separate toilet.
We had dinner at the 5 star Addison - what an experience - the service, lovely menu with impeccable service - we celebrated our anniversary there and it was mentioned several times. Loved the spa! The attendants had special touches, e.g. sharing an article after learning I was a yoga instructor, sweet truffles/fruit chews after each service. The pools were incredible -piped in music, pool service: bed trays for lunch in our reclining chairs, hot chocolates before leaving. Missing this special place!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HeartTraveler
Austin,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been fortunate to stay in quite a few outstanding resorts and hotels over the last ten years, and I would have to say that the Grand Del Mar probably takes the prize as the best of the best, in my opinion. The hotel room was outstanding, the staff members were all very friendly and quite helpful. My wife and I were there for a professional society meeting and the food and drink service was very, very good. I had the chance to play golf at their course, which is really beautiful and in good shape; we had a fore-caddy who was of immense help. In addition to the golf course, the grounds and trails surrounding the hotel are beautiful as well. While you do pay for this level of experience and comfort, I feel it is well worth it.

Room Tip: Select a room overlooking the golf course fairway[s]
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've stayed in many great hotels all round the world, i'm fortunate that I've been able to afford the best and make a point of buying the best when i travel which was why the idea of a 15 star resort appealed, the advertising was very promising.
The Grand Del Mar lived up to it's billing and so much more, myself and my girlfriend were celebrating an anniversary and thought a spa weekend would be the right way to do it, from the moment we arrived they took my expectations of quality service to a new level.
We were travelling with out dog and they had outfitted the room with dog bowls and a dog bed, this was unexpected but really the little things help immensely, to help us celebrate our anniversary they brought delicious chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of champagne all free of charge and when the server found out i didn't drink returned unbidden with a soft apple drink so i could join my girl in celebrating with a champagne glass filled with something that at least resembled champagne.
Every member of staff, even ones i'd never met before knew our names, they even knew our dogs name, walking around they'd say hello flash and would constantly check on us and our pup.
We had a suite by the pool and the room was one of the most lavish and comfortable i'd ever stayed in, within easy reach of the gym. I'd forgotten my protein shakes so the staff at the spa would organise different protein drinks for me everytime i worked out.
The spa was truly something special, it's not a place to hang out if you dont' have treatments but it's opulent and the services are exceptional too.
We had room service often which was always incredible and one night had a ten course mean at their five star restaurant addison, think that's what it was called. it was an expensive meal coming in at somewhere like 400 a head and whilst the food was very good it certainly wasn't up to the standard i'd expect but that's a minor gripe, san diego and la jolla have some incredible restaurants.
It was a perfect three night trip at a perfect place, far removed from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: We liked being near the pool with our own balcony and those rooms around the pool are quiet and so c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robbiejim
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a very special resort. We loved the location even though it is not on the beach. It is located on the hillside, however it is very close to a beach and the staff make it very easy for you if you want to visit the beach. They will get give you a ride to the beach if choose, and they will give you chairs, towels and even some beach toys for the kiddos. The resort is on a golf course and the views are incredible. After all of the hustle and bustle of the day in San Diego, it was such a treat to escape to this little haven. The staff are incredible. They are so friendly and attentive to your needs. The pools are also fantastic. They are sourrounded by beautiful landscaping. This resort is truly so peaceful and magical. Our room was definitely 5 start. Great bedding, very clean, great views. At first I was not sure that this would be a good resort for the kiddos, however it was perfect. The staff embraced them and there are a lot of actitivies that are kid oriented. Overally, I can't wait to stay here again. They definitely "get it!!"

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family