“Amazing, in more ways than one!”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Amazing, in more ways than one!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Very luxurious hotel! As amazing as the hotel is, the staff are even more so. Stayed for a couple of nights as part of a reward from work. Beautiful in any way you can measure it. Although you feel a little like running in a maze to get to your room, they are very spacious and comfortable. I wish i had that bathroom in my house. The tub is quite large and can actually be filled in a very short time. unique set up where you open the window from the bathroom to the bedroom to let in natural light. The furniture is exquisite, very tastefully decorated. One of the best coffee machines I've tasted as well. It would have been use full to have had a kettle for tea, however when asked for this they brought up an excellent tea service to set up in the room. This place is not only a fabulous place, it's an awesome experience to be enjoyed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 7, 2013

A beautiful, luxurious property in Del Mar..the service, the quality of the drinks and food is superb. Its quite obvious they don't cut any corners here. My favorite part was sitting by the fireplace listening to the piano man..he takes requests. Very relaxing, just a lovely time.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joann82
chicago
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I brought my wife and two boys to the Grand del Mar and we have never been more impressed with any other resort. This is luxury at it's finest. The pools are awesome, especially because they have a great zero depth for the toddlers. My youngest son spent quite a bit of time in there. The main pool is fantastic and quite large. We stayed in the prado suite and I can't say enough about it. There were sliding doors that could close off the bedroom from the sitting room. The boys were able to sleep on the pullout that was super comfy. They had their own TV and we could enjoy our privacy at night. The second bathroom had a spa tub with a window cutout that could be opened to overlook the sitting room--very cool when the kids can hop in there and you can lounge on the couch right next to them. They have a golf course on sight and I played that as well. The views were unbelievable and the course was in top notch shape from tee to green. We got a deal that gave us a breakfast credit everyday and we gladly used it. The food is excellent but not cheap. You get what you pay for and when the food is high quality I usually don't regret it. The last thing I want to address is the staff. The quality and care was on par with everything else. This is a luxury hotel with luxury prices. They go above and beyond which is exactly what I expect from a resort like this. They certainly make you feel like a valued guest. Everyone says hello and they will accommodate pretty much anything you need--at least that's how we felt when we stayed there. They have 'free" shuttles that will drive up to 20-30 minutes in any direction. It can't get you to the ball park but it can get you to the beach. We asked to be driven to the beach-- we were shuttled and our driver got out of the car, walked over with four chairs and umbrellas and a cooler , and set us up on the beach. It was a little awkward because you are obviously being pampered but could we really complain? We needed only to call 30 minutes before we wanted to leave and he was right back there to bring us back to the hotel. If you can afford to splurge a little I would highly recommend this hotel. It is within a reasonable distance to all the attractions including Sea World. I would recommend going there as well as the zoo. We tried the Animal park which is a safari like experience but we would probably forgo that next time. BTW, my sons were 9 and 3 at the time that we went.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Culver City, California
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We recently had a chance to experience the The Grand Del Mar, and I must say, grand is the word when it comes to this distinct property. My 24-hour experience left me with poignant memories which I will cherish forever.

Visiting this resort takes me back to my trips to Hearst Castle, the Mediterranean style of the resort lavishly appointed with gold and wrought iron accents. Every detail has been thought out to give visitors an exclusive experience. The service was impeccable.

Erected in 2007, this place is San Diego County’s only Forbes Five-Star AAA Five Diamond luxury resort destination. It’s easy to see why.

We stayed in one of their suites, and it was larger than my condo. Sporting views of the golf course, the room contained two full bathrooms, each with sunken marble tubs. I could have easily done a few laps, the tubs were so large.

At the spa, my massage was one of the best I’ve encountered. I loved the heated robes, the invigorating jacuzzi, and Jennifer's treatment on my golfer's elbow seemed to really improve my condition. They truly customize the experience so that it's tailored to whatever ailment may be afflicting you.

Bring the kids and let them disappear for the day at the Explorer’s Club, while you whittle away the hours among the many amenities of the property, including some fine restaurants.

There are a number of dining options, but we dined at Amaya, one of their premiere restaurants, and we were very impressed. Go for the Grouper, if it’s on the menu, but save room for their Lemon Ice Cream Pie, designed to inspire divine dreams.

I've heard the Addison, their French restaurant, is even nicer than Amaya, so we hope to try that restaurant the next time we visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a business meeting and it is quite possibly one of the finest hotels i have ever had the pleasure of staying at anywhere in the world. Every detail of your stay is thought out and looked after by a wonderful, friendly staff. Rooms are huge and well appointed, the gym is first rate and the grounds are lovely. The food at both the meetings and in the restaurant was also fantastic. The service is out of this world. There was not one detail of my stay that was overlooked. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a first rate experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at The Grand Del Mar as part of a meeting event. Hotel grounds, sleeping rooms, meeting rooms, hallways, bathrooms, EVERYTHING is absolutely beautiful, perfect and pristine. Regular rooms feel like suites and everything is very luxuriously appointed. The customer service was outstanding and everyone in every part of the hotel was extremely professional. The only negative thing I can possibly think of to say is that the overall attitude is very high class and may come off a little snooty - but NEVER rude. No loud crowds here. Also, spa was exceptional during the week, but had some schedule issues on Saturday and Sunday - if you are there over the weekend, just keep on your spa appts. Worth every penny for a special occasion -and will surely WOW any group. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jennifer N
Michigan
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights at the resort recently and I was very impressed. As others have said, the rooms are very nice. The grounds are also beautiful and set in some foothills on a golf course. Food was excellent as well. The spa is top notch with great service. There is a very good gym as well with a wide variety of equipment. And finally, the service everywhere was excellent. Everyone there wanted to ensure your satisfaction. Highly recommend. p.s. it is a little confusing to get around the grounds...but once you get oriented, it's not bad.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business