2,001 results
All reviews amaya restaurant adult pool relaxation pool chocolate covered oreos prado suite four seasons amazing property family pool tennis courts pool staff star resort rooms are beautiful turn down service southern california fitness center the san diego area minute drive
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Grand Del Mar is one of the most elegant and beautiful hotels my husband and I have stayed in ever! We were there for just a few days which is really a shame since the hotel and it's surroundings are stunning.
Staff is very personable but stays out of your way until needed!
Food and wine was excellent at restaurants and it really has all you need to just stay and relax without getting out-including an exceptional golf course to play and view.
We have already sent friends to stay there and they rave about it as much as we do!

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here over the weekend and had a lovely time. The resort has something for everyone, we enjoyed yoga classes, tennis, trail rides, spa and both restaurants. The spa was fine, but I've definitely seen bigger and better appointed ones - my deep tissue massage was wonderful. The pool was wonderful and my nieces appreciated having it practically to themselves, something I understand is very unusual as this hotel is normally at capacity. The grounds are spectacular and well appointed, I highly recommend the trail ride which provides a unique view of the property ($130 for 1 hour). The kids loved playing tennis, and rackets were provided free of charge. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful, often anticipating needs before we even thought of them - they've definitely been trained in the Apple school of thought and it shows. The food was very underwhelming - a lack of any quality ingredients (nothing local or organic). Addison had a few quality ingredients, but for the price I expected a lot more. Amara was adequate but nothing was particularly impressive. Room service was late both mornings and practically inedible - total waste of money. For the money, I would probably opt for The Resort at Pelican Hill which is 1 hour north in Laguna Beach.

Room tip: They are a member of the Preferred Hotel group which offers a free upgrade when using American Express to book the room.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went there for a short off-season break. Luxurious and majestic, this hotel is beautifully immersed in a lush preserve on a hilly side that reminds of southern Tuscany or Umbria. It is quite close to the local attractions, but secluded enough if you want quietness and privacy where it surely and solidly deserves the CN medal of "best place to stay".
The accommodations are quite spacious and nicely furnished. The bathroom is roomy and elegant with a separated area for a deep soaking tub and a sizable shower. Quite a bit of different types of activities for all tastes are available on-site and entertainments. The landscape is extremely well designed and balanced with sensory area, perfectly chosen and placed plant material.
The staff is highly professional and very accommodating to any request.
We just cannot wait to go back.
We also enjoyed the splendid restaurant Addison, but...this deserves a separate review.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The staff here are the most helpful and pleasant of any resort I have visited. In fact it was remarkable how much each person connected with the guests. I am not a golfer and yet when I walked by the golf course I was offered cold water and visited with the golf scheduler about the course..
The amenities are really excellent. The two salt water pools are pristine and again the service at the pool was outstanding. The pool valet brought cool water and towels and was attentive without being intrusive.
The work out facility has top rate equipment. The classes were amazing ( I did yoga and world dance). I also went on the canyon waterfall walk with the naturalist. That is truly not to be missed, he has so much to show us about the geology and the wildlife you couldn't possibly "see " on your own.
The food is superb. We dined in every location on the property. Uniformly the food was outstanding along with the service. Eating on the heated outdoor decks was a treat.
Turn down service is usually ho hum but not hear. Rose petals strewn about, slippers put by the bed, amazing chocolates and bath salts for the tub.... really nice touches.
They will take you in the "house car" to the local beaches and set up chairs and umbrellas for no charge. This truly is a wonderful service. Unlike some resorts that nickel and dime you to death, this one charges a reasonable amount and provides outstanding service.
The beds were comfortable, the linens top notch, the resort quiet and peaceful and VERY clean.

Room tip: I like the rooms with the canyon view
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank LaurettaYoung
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Did a weekend getaway for our anniversary for our first time at The GDM. The hotel lives up to the reputation. Wasn't able to play golf due to tendonitis but they gave me a rain check. Grounds and pools are beautiful. Had lunch at the adult pool and I must say it was the best poolside service we've had anywhere. At most resorts, pool oriented dining is 2nd class at best. Not here. We had a smoothie, salad and cocktails. Our service and food was as good as a nice restaurant. Spent the day shopping locally and then dinner at the Amaya. Again, the food and service was impecable. Looking forward to returning and trying Addison.

Date of stay: October 2012