“amazing hotel”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 4, 2012

from the minute you arrive, you WILL be pampered. The rooms are large, perfectly designed with gold touches, and so comfortable. The views of this hotel are to die for. Bring your camera and get ready to relax.
The gym is perfect and by far the best I have ever used at any hotel including the Ritz. The staff are amazing and treat you like a king and queen. Its also family accommodating. The pool is perfect and relaxing.
WE WILL BE BACK AND CAN'T WAIT TO RETURN!

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are perfect. Ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brickhandler
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Grand Del Mar

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Everything here is superior. It's done right. The staff is impeccably trained and incredibly attentive. The rooms are very spacious. Linens were very nice. Food was delicious. Spa was relaxing and services were well performed. The grounds are pristine. Even the toilet paper was exceptional. We stayed here 5 nights and I was sad to leave. I have stayed at a lot of very nice resorts, this definitely tops my list.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the quiet/adult pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I planned a one night getaway for our honeymoon. We made a reservation in a boutique hotel in del mar near the water. At the front desk, we requested to see the rooms - we were suspicious of the "ocean view" room that we reserved. Our gut feeling proved right, as the ocean view was obstructed by telephone wires, several roof tops, and a parking lot/alley. We cancelled our reservation and called the Grand Del Mar and told them our predicament. They immediately booked a room, gave us a $50 hotel credit and gave us a discount on the room. Upon arrival, we were immediately impressed with the property and staff. John, who made our reservation, sent over two bottles of VOS sparkling water (the wifey is pregnant) and a slice of chocolate and a "happy anniversary" card. Great, luxurious hotel, with incredible service that is not snooty or uptight. I've stayed at several five-star hotel/resorts and this one made my write a review. Totally worth the "high end" price range. Just book it and endure the wonderful experience you'll get from this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank N2Odoc
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just came back from a 4-night stay at the Grand Del Mar Resort just outside of San Diego.
The Resort was simply outstanding -- from the pristine condition both inside and outside.
The architectural details and design left anyone with or without a sense of design awestruck by its beauty. The pool areas and gardens were exquisite -- as was the service from everyone we had dealings with.
The 4-course tasting menu at the Michelin rated restaurant, Addison, was a special treat!
The only fault I had was the charge for use of their computer.
Otherwise, my husband and I will return to the Grand Del Mar in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Room 364 Has a nice balcony with good view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cre8ev1
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Grand Del Mar is definitely a place to relax and unwind! If you are looking to get away from busy life then the Grand Del Mar is a must!! They do everything right! You don't even have to put your own towels on the lounger by the pool! If there is something that you want they go to extremes to get it for you. We stayed for 4 days and didn't leave the resort at all. The resort is very very clean, the staff is so friendly and helpful! When the room service brought our breakfast, I was moving a chair out of the way and the gentlemen said to me "oh no...I will get that, you are here to relax..."

Room Tip: We had a pool side room by the adult only relaxation pool. Although it is poolside, it is much more...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nichole L
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This a is very special property that when you arrive can make you feel slightly over awed. This feeling soon disappears when the exceptionally well trained and friendly staff start communicating with you. We had a super three days stay here where the food and service was exceptional. The Spa is wonderful and the gold course is a really good test which I thoroughly enjoyed, special mention to my 'fore caddie' Coulton who was courteous, very knowledgeable and really cared about ensuring that I had the best experience possible thank you! The food in the restaurants is top quality, the Addison restaurant is superb and a really special experience but is a bit on the pricey side compared with other top worldwide restaurants. Overall a really special place to stay where we had a really good time thank you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A three night stay at this beautiful establishment. From the refreshing towels offered at reception to the rose petals and different artisanal chocolates awaiting us after the turndown service in the evening, to the in-room Nespresso CitiZ machine to pull espressos or lungos when the need arose, to orange infused ice water in the mens lounge prior or post spa treatments, to caramel corn as a mid-conference snack... the Grand del Mar met and exceeded all my expectations, with attention to detail being a hallmark of just about everything.

The only quirk is the labyrinthine hallways - yes, I admit, my wife and I got lost when heading to or from our room (albeit temporarily) on a couple of occasions. But actually, that added to the intrigue and fun experience... and obviously was necessary to create the hotel layout and wonderful exterior architecture (Addison Mizner-style).

Had both private meals in the restaurant as well as a large banquet-style meal. All were top notch. Especially loved the Catalan Shrimp appetizer at Amaya - a tapas-style dish to die for.

Massage at the spa was probably one of the best I have ever had. The masseuse was professional and responsive to my preferences. The fruit gelee and ice water when the massage was completed was an unexpected luxe touch.

The creative layout of the facility allowed for diverse environments in which to settle to read and relax... from the Library, to the various outdoor seating areas, by water or by fire or with beautiful overlooks of the canyons.

As a result of this experience, my wife and I fully intend to return again to the Grand del Mar, next time with extended family for another memorable experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business