“Superb experience all around.” 5 of 5 stars

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #1 of 282 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Superb experience all around.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

As a frequent global traveller, I have stayed in most of the premier hotel brands in multiple cities, but I must say that the Grand del Mar surpasses them all. Every aspect of this property is exceptional. We were immediately impressed by the level of personal service and recognition. When we drove up to the gates, the security guard inquired about our stay before directing up to the hotel. The valet knew our names from the note the security guard left under the wiper. The check-in attendant walked us to our room where our bags were already waiting with the bellhop who walked us through the room to introduce the ammenities and overall layout of the grounds. At the restaurant, the hostess inquired our names and actually remembered them throughout our stay. Wow...

Our room was large, spacious and beautifully appointed with woods, granites and marble. Needless to say the room was spotless. There is a large flatscreen TV in the main room and a second small TV in the bathroom if you wanted to watch TV or listen to music in the bath. The closet was essentially a walk-in configuration. We had a third floor room with a balcony opening onto a court yard. The room was incredibly well insulated for noise. I'm sure we had neighbors, but I had no idea they were there, and we didnt pick up any outside noise through the heavy balcony doors. As a light sleeper, I can honestly say this was one of the best sleeps I ever had at a hotel. We were visiting over spring break, and the intent was to visit the several amusement / theme parks in the region. My son opted to skip Disneyland to chill-out at the hotel pool!! Now we have another reason to come back...

The Grand del Mar is a golf resort. The grounds are immaculate and although we are not golfers, we were impressed with the course surrounding the hotel. Perhaps next time we visit, we will opt for lessons through their pro-shop. The hotel has 4 pools and two hot-tubs. One area is reserved for adults and cellphones are prohibited (discouraged), with a large pool, hot-tub and bar. The other area contains 3 pools including a shallow kids pool and a small hot-tub. This family area also has a full bar with meal service. The hotel offers a baby-sitting service while the adults go for a round of golf, and there is also a daily program for kids. For older kids / teens, there is of course golf, as well as tennis courts and an equestrian facility. Pony rides can apparently be arranged for small kids, while trail rides and even riding lessons are offered for older kids / teens. There is a spa which we didnt utilize on this trip.

There are several restaurants on the grounds and a cafe / gift-shop. We dined at Amaya. Food quality and preparation was excellent. They have a vegetarian dinner menu and will make minor modifications to their dishes to suit guests tastes. The breakfast menu is more limited in terms of offering vegetarian or non-dairy options. Pool-side meal options were relatively extensive.

As expected, the Grand is pricey, especially if you throw-in a bunch of activities and opt to dine on-site throughout your stay. But if you want to treat yourself to an experience, we recommend this property. We will be returning in the future, staying longer and trying out the activities we missed this trip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bmarkhasin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This is an amzing place to stay. The service is impeccable, the room felt like a suite it was so spacious and beautifully decorated. The decor is sophisticated but still manages to be almost homey. Love it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P C
vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Whenever we check in at the Grand, we take a deep breath because we know we are "home." The resort grounds and rooms are utterly amazingly out of this world. It's hard to fathom that a resort of this size has less than 300 rooms, suites, and villas because the Grand emphasizes detail, impeccable customer service, and nothing short of making one's stay a perfect 10.
We love the idea that the hotel remembers our favorite room so every time we come down, they immediately put us in that room.

We come to San Diego now just to stay at the Grand Del Mar! From the time we arrive and the time we depart, there isn't a minute that we don't feel pampered or treated like royalty. So many staff members recognize us and address us personally which is hard to find these days at many large impersonal hotels. But then, the Grand Del Mar doesn't fall under that category because it is in a truly 5 star category of its own. This 390 million resort is one of a kind -- over 30 types of different rocks and over 30 types of different wood. Once you have stayed here, I guarantee you that you will not want to leave. At least, that is how we feel each time we are here because we have found our "paradise on earth."

Room Tip: A room overlooking the fairway and usually it is lit up in the evenings....beautiful sight not to be...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cliu
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

The Grand Del Mar is all things grand-- and I can't for the life of me find one negative thing to say about the property. I visited the GDM for a business conference in May of 2011 and was blown away by the beautiful grounds, gorgeous rooms (WHAT an amazing bathroom, right?!), delicious food, and incredible staff. You can read so many reviews on here that detail all the wonderful amenities of the GDM but I'd like to contribute a very brief experience I had to highlight something that most people don't even think about: service.

Upon departing from our room in the morning we were greeted by a cheerful, smiling maid who wished us a wonderful morning and an even better day; turning the corner, a maintenance worker waived hello, smiled to us and shouted "GOOD MORNING!"; upon entering the elevator there was a bellhop heading downstairs and he too, smiled kindly at us and struck up a pleasant conversation-- only to tell us to enjoy our day at the GDM.

To me, it was so impressive to see a group of people working for a property that truly LOVED their jobs. They loved it enough to have a smile on their face, acknowledge guests, and be personable. That happens so little these days and made a huge impression on us all. Just wanted to share!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank eventjubilee
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was my first visit to the Haim Salon my stylist was Katie. She gave me a cut and color. First of all Katie is the most adorable young lady. She was very professional and has the most wonderful personality. My hair has never looked this good!! I look like a new person, I wanted to dress up and go out with my husband!! He by the way loved my new look!! She is amazing!!
My husband and I had dinner at Amaya and service there was spectacular! Ekrem came to our table and introduced himself making sure we were happy with our meal. The food was great but the service was what made our meal so good.
My husband and I will deffinately return!! I will deffinately be returning to Katie! I don't want anyone else touching my hair!!
Bravo to you and your staff!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Selina B
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

This is absolutely the nicest hotel inhave ever stayed in (and I have stayed in some nice ones). My room was incredible. The service was over the top in all areas of the hotel. The restaurant on the property served the best meal I have ever eaten. Unbelievable!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Gardenlad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

All the five star reviews about this fine hotel are accurate. Top notch in all respects. The rooms are superb, with a high intention to detail. All the additional amenities are the best, multiple pool options, the Fazio course is beautiful and extremely playable. Dining covers the entire landscape from a very high level to casual.

Clearly, one of the top hotels in the west. You need to stay here and experience it....as someone who travels extensively this is one of the best.

Room Tip: 3rd floor...get a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business