“Caring and compassionate during San Diego wildfires”

Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Ranked #4 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Caring and compassionate during San Diego wildfires”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We were evacuated from our home during the recent wildfires in the San Diego area. When I got to this Residence Inn, the staff was caring, compassionate and professional. They opened their arms to us, and our pets, making everything easy for us in a time of need. The Residence Inn was in great condition, clean and maintained, and I would highly recommend this location.

Thank you for helping my family in a time of need.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Nick F,

I'm so glad you and your family were able to find safety from the recent fires at our hotel. I know it was extremely stressful for so many people. We estimate that over 100 displaced families found refuge at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch.

I hope you returned to your home unscathed.

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

Greg Schmidt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Fresno, California
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Great community feel. Very clean rooms. We were very pleased. Marriott hotels are usually great. They had a good array of breakfast items and even hosted dinner on cinco de mayo. This included wine and beer.

• Stayed May 2014
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
JeffStef,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor, we truly appreciate it.

I hope you enjoyed yourselves on Cinco de Mayo. Like every night, we tried to make it special for all of our guests.

We look forward to hosting you the next time you are in San Diego.

Thanks again.

Madison, Mississippi
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was in San Diego on business, and needed a place to stay where I could unwind. This was the place. Not only was the staff very friendly and the room very nice, but the breakfast was great, and the meet and greets in the afternoons were excellent as well with a fine selection of food and drinks to choose from. It's located ideally with lots of shopping and culinary choices within a mile of the property. At the end of a long day, this was definitely the place I could call "home away from home". I've already recommended my coworkers to choose this property when in town for business.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
dustyguitar,

"Home away from home" is exactly what we strive for here at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch and I'm so happy to hear we achieved that.

Our guests have come to love our complimentary full breakfast along with the hosted evening social with complimentary beer and wine.

Thank you for sharing your experience with your friends and co-workers, we truly appreciate it.

San Marcos, California
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We had to evacuate because of the San Diego San Marcos Cocos fire. This required us to make a reservation as we were loading the car to evacuate. We were able to get the reservation and while it was before 4pm (normal checkin), the front desk staff was able to get us in a room that would accommodate us and our 2 cats early. Theresa at the front desk was great, as well as the other front desk staff, including head of housekeeping. We can't say enough good things about them.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
David D,

I'm so glad we were able to help you and your family during this very stressful time. I hope that your home and your family are all safe and back home.

San Marcos, California
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in San Diego Rancho Bernardo for
three days as we were evacuated from our home in San Marcos.

I must tell you that everyone at this Marriott was working around the clock
to make everyone's stay as nice as possible. They extended the breakfast
hours as they were completely full and it was crowded at times. There was
never a lack of food or service. The staff who cleaned our room were
courteous and friendly and did such a great job. Everyone at the front desk
was very busy but did a good job.

One lady stood out; her name is JANICE. She was obviously new and I don't
think I have ever seen anyone try harder. She is a good problem solver and
understands priorities and does it with a smile and genuine caring. I
watched her while I was standing in line.

Winnie and family

Green Features: If you are a Marriott Rewards traveler be sure and let the front desk know this. You may need to remind them of your special privileges.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Winnie N,

First of all, I just want to say I hope everything is ok and that your home, family and friends are all safe. It's been a really bad week for all of us here in San Diego.

I'm so glad we were able to take care of not just you but also the over 100 guests that sought refuge at the Residence Inn by Marriott Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch. As you stated, it was a very busy week and our team worked around the clock to make sure everyone was taken care of.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to share your praise with the team, especially Janice.

Thanks again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My partner and I stayed here one night as we were attending a friends wedding nearby. We found this hotel to be terribly expensive compared to other hotels we had been staying in during our trip to California, yet offered considerably less in terms on amenities. The breakfast was poor quality and there was no bar in the hotel. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, but we just couldn't help but feel we were being charged a lot of money for not very much.

Room Tip: I am a light sleeper and could hear a lot of traffic noise in my room - if you are also a light slee...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
AnnaR730,

I'm sorry you don't feel you received value for what you paid to stay at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo. We do strive to ensure we offer our guests all of the amenities they have come to expect from Residence Inn by Marriott which includes, complimentary breakfast, a complimentary evening social three times per week wich includes complimentary beer and wine, free internet, and free parking.

I do understand some guests would prefer a hotel that offers a bar on property and you're correct, we do not have one at our hotel. I'm not sure if you made your reservation on line or not but if you did, you would have noticed we do not list having a bar. The features and price of our hotel are listed for all to see so they can make sure they are making the right choice for their stay.

San Diego, California
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I really appreciated that the front desk staff offered a couple of options as to where I wanted to stay in the hotel. You rarely see that kind of generosity and I spend a LOT of time on the road. When we got to the second available unit, I fell in love with it immediately as it was set up like a real home.. a separate bedroom, a cute kitchen with breakfast bar, and a livingroom with a fireplace! I will definitely choose Residence Inn at Carmel Mtn Ranch the next time the opportunity arises. Thank you so much for making me feel at home.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
KKMKS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I'm so glad to hear you felt right at home the minute you walked into your room. This is exactly what we strive for.

We look forward to hosting you the next time you are in San Diego.