Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Ranked #4 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Tucson
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here for a week on business travel. I chose this hotel over the Hilton Garden Inn that I stayed at last time for the simple reason of the "OSHA" door at Hilton Garden Inn which drove me CRAZY the last time I was down here for business (see previous review for details).

My room was clean and quiet. When on business travel I really appreciate a 2 room suite for longer stays and this hotel fit the bill. They provide a full refrigerator, microwave oven (which mine was in-op) and a 2 burner stove.

I only have three (minor) areas that they could improve on: Bedding, breakfast buffet, and a extremely (minor) housekeeping issue.

The comforter they provide is extremely thin, I had to add the blanket from the closet to compensate, plus the bed overall is pretty average, not as comfortable as the hotel I just came from.

I only tried the breakfast buffet on a weekend morning, every other morning I was tied up with getting to work. It's average, nothing special, the area they have is pretty small and filled up quickly while I was there. I guess I'm spoiled from other hotels with large spaces where I can get some last minute work done and cook to order. If I was here with my family, I don't think I would have the same opinion, it's probably fine for families.

The minor housekeeping issue for me was just the fact that I had to constantly ask for coffee. I flagged down the housekeeper on my floor and she gave it to me right away, but they only filled it up twice during my 7 day stay. I don't want to knock them too hard because outside of that they did a great job resetting my linens and kitchen each day.

I know I'll find myself down here next month for weeks. I will not hesitate to book this hotel on business, and recommend it for all travelers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DesertFlyer
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Desertflyer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I'm so glad you decided to give us a try since you usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. It sounds like it was a good stay with a couple of minor incidents that I hope we can fix for you very easily.

Each morning I run a 15 minute housekeeping to go over the day. I will be sure to bring up the importance of re-stocking all items each day for guests that are staying over. Also, I'm not sure how you typically book your reservations but if you use Marriott.com, there is a feature called "Virtual Concierge". You can submit any requests you may have through this system, for example: "Would like a room with an extra blanket on the bed" and we will make sure to honor this request.

I look forward to you staying with us again so we can change this from a four star rating to a five.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments.

Greg Schmidt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My first time to try a Residence Inn (have tried other Marriott brands) and was pleasantly surprised that this was one of the best one given the Marriott category 4 it carried.
The front staff was very nice, courteous, and helpful. (Thanks Del!) The breakfast was good to get you started in the morning. Very nice surroundings with an outdoor mall across the Rancho Bernardo road and a nice Italian restaurant within a few hundred feet.
Will definitely book this place again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
sbatv1,

First off, welcome to the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo family. Once you stay with us, you are considered family and I'm glad to hear that Del made you feel that way.

I'm glad to hear you not only enjoyed the hotel but also the surroundins with so many things to do within walking distance.

Thank you for giving us a try and we hope to see you again soon.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Los Gatos
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Recently we had an unexpected trip to Carmel Mt. due to family emergency. The Inn became our home and we could not have been treated with more care and concern. The room was exceptional with every need attended to from the separate bedroom and wonderful kitchen and LR. The morning breakfast was abundant. The facility is spotless .....But The Staff is the best!!! Everyone on site is truly attentive to details...their support was invaluable..This would be an exceptional hotel for business or a family needing home base while seeing the Wild Animal Park .We usually stay at 4 and 5 star resorts..but the service/design here makes them stand out..A special thank you to Shirley and Cally. They even found our phone chord and returned it to us within days. Can't thank you all enough for your service and your kindness. We will be back...hopefully under more pleasant circumstances.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
BellaLosGatos,

Well I'm sorry that it was a family emergency that brought you to our hotel and I hope everything is ok.

I'm so glad to hear that our staff took care of you and your family during your stay. I couldn't agree with you more, we have an amazing property/location but it truly is our staff that sets us apart.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. We look forward to hosting you again under better circumstances. I'll be sure to share your comments with Cally and Shirley.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed there while we attended the Poinsettia Bowl. Go Aggies!!! What a great place to stay. We are platinum members and they really treated us well. I cannot say enough about the management at this resort they were so great. From the moment we checked in until the end of our stay they were so helpful with all of our needs. Breakfast was awesome.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
AGH39,

Go Aggies! I missed the game so I hope your team won.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Being part of the "management team", I'm happy to take a part of this recognition.

Seriously though, thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. We truly have a great staff here and it's actually our hourly employees that deserve all of the credit, they make our hotel what it is.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in San Diego.

California
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Picked this hotel solely on location as it was very close to the start of the Holiday Half Marathon. I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. The room was much more than I expected with separate living and sleeping areas, along with a full kitchen. The room and the hotel were in excellent condition and very clean. My only regret was only being there just one night and unable to utilize all the hotel's facilities. I plan to participate in the same race this year and will definitely being staying here, possibly an extra night just to enjoy all the hotel has to offer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Suehop,

Well let me start by congratulating you on completing the half marathon, I hope you had a wonderful run. Being a marathoner myself, I can fully appreciate the importance of getting a good night sleep the day prior to the run and I'm so happy we were able to accommodate that for you.

Definitely, next time you are here for a run or just for pleasure, please try and stay longer than one night so you can take full advantage of all our property has to offer.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Keep on running.

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Last night my husband and I had a bit too much to drink at a local pub and rather than drive home, we walked over to the Residence Inn and got a room. They put us in a gorgeous 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen and living room. This morning I couldn't find my purse. This afternoon I called, hoping housekeeping had found it. They hadn't, but Theresa had Ellana check the room again and she found it fallen behind the couch! They called me right away to let me know. I'm beyond thankful they took the time to really try to find it. We'll definitely be staying here again. I was really impressed with how nice the rooms were. Very clean and super comfortable beds. Also there are biscuits and gravy at breakfast which is another great reason to stay there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Bianca Y,

I'm so glad to hear that we were able to find your purse for you. I'm sure you were a bit frantic at the thought of that going missing. I know that both Theresa and Ellana always go out of their way to make all of our guests feel welcomd and to return any items that may have been left behind.

I'm sure the biscuits and gravy was exactly what you needed after a night of drinking. So good.

We look forward to hosting you again. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Sinerely,

florida
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I am staying here for many years while visiting San Diego business and always pick this hotel. Staff is friendly. Hotels very clean grounds are nice and perfect location for dining and shopping. Check in again today and was greeted by Theresa, welcome to the property.
Can't go wrong great place to stay

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
berkmda,

Welcome back to Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo.

I see you've met our newest associate Theresa. As with all of our other associates, she is awesome, a great addition to the team.

Thank you for being so loyal to our hotel and thank you for the great comments on TripAdvisor.