“A great hotel with a friendly staff that goes above and beyond.”

Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Ranked #4 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“A great hotel with a friendly staff that goes above and beyond.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife & I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past. It's a great getaway from the heat of Phoenix, AZ. The rooms and grounds have always been super clean and well kept. And now since the complete property renovation, everything is new and stylish. One thing this hotel has always had is a staff that is committed to going above and beyond what is normally expected. Everyone who works there always has a smile and quests are greeted warmly by everyone they encounter. On our last stay, I e-mailed the manager (Greg Schmidt) before our arrival and asked for one specific room if it was available. I wouldn't normally do that, but we were going to be there for almost a week and we like the location of it. Greg promptly responded he would block the room unless current occupants extended their stay. Sure enough, when we arrived our room of choice was waiting for us smelling fresh and clean as always. Just the quality of this hotel alone would be enough reason to stay there. But when you add in all the nearby stores and dinning options (most are walking distance) staying here should have something for everyone. My wife and I also like to walk and the hotel is situated in a beautiful residential area as well. We have stayed in several Residence Inns in California and this one is our favorite.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim31310
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Morning Jim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about your experience at our hotel.

I couldn't agree with you more, we have an amazing staff here at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch. I've only been here for four months and have worked at a lot of different Marriott properties and this hotel has the best staff by far.

Thanks again for sharing your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon in your favorite room

Greg Schmidt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am from India and stayed here for over 2 months from March to May. The staff is great: Kelly, Cally, Ruby and Janice were my most frequented associates and their service was super fast. The room, breakfast and sundowners are good. I also availed the hotel cab for pickup and drop to the company. It was a regular schedule for all those days. Hats off to their punctuality and dedication. I will certainly be here next time around. My ratings is 5 for the staff. My wishes for the new Manager.
-Ram

Room Tip: Choose one facing the front of the hotel or the pool side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Morning Ram,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about our wonderful hotel.

I couldn't agree more, we do have a cool hotel with great staff.

Thank you for staying with us for the two months you were in Rancho Bernardo. I think you were the first guest I met when I arrived at this hotel. Such a pleasure to meet you and I hope you will be back to stay with us soon.

Thanks again.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Loved the hotel. Suites looked like they were recently updated. Kitchen was a bonus! Staff was awesome and always smiling! Thank you Ruby and Janice for your outstanding customer service. Would stay here again - Great location walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle T
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Michelle T,

Thank you for sharing your comments during your recent stay at our hotel.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the guest rooms and the amazing service our team provides everyday. I will be sure to share your comments with both Ruby and Janice during our next all employee meeting.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

West Covina, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family stayed here over 4th of July weekend. We had no plans to see fireworks but they a 10-page document of locations and directions to where you can see fireworks in the area. July 5 breakfast was crazy busy with all the other families! The kitchen staff did an amazing job keeping hot food coming out and replenishing the breads and muffins. They kept their cool and accommodated everyone the best they could. The pool is big enough for youngsters to have a good time and it has the small tennis/basketball court. We saw 2 gas BBQ grills that we saw a lot of other families use.

We stayed in 1 bedroom suite which was nicely laid out. You can get to the bathroom either from the bedroom or the main area which made it easy. We've stayed at other RIs where you'd had to go through the bedroom to get the bathroom. The sofabed mattress was pretty warn out (sagged badly in the middle).

The kitchen was nice. Full size refrigerator with ice maker, two burner stove top, dish washer, and microwave. No oven, but not really a deal breaker.

San Diego Zoo Safari Park is 15 minutes away. LEGOLAND is probably 30 minutes away. Miramar about 10 minutes away. Poway extremely close. Lots of restaurants to eat at in the surrounding area. Costco, Stater Bros, and Ralphs within blocks of the hotel.

We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Jungster 42,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch for your 4th of July holiday getaway. I'm so happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.

I know our complimentary breakfast can be very popular, espcially over the summer months. We actually just this week added more seating in that outside pool area and we've also opened up the adjacent meeting room.

Thank you for letting me know about the sofabed mattresses, I will be sure to look into that.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

San Diego
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had to stay here while our home was being repaired. The staff was great and super fast service with any request we had. The room was not very clean. Carpets in room & elevator are old and stained. My son used hide-a-bed and it was very uncomfortable. Pool was tiny & only 4' deep, pool towels were thin & too small to wrap once around you- eco friendly doesnt count if you need 3 towels to get dry. Breakfast was so-so, typical continental breakfast stuff. It was very convenient for us but very expensive for what we got.

• Stayed June 2013
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear REmom2,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo.

As you mentioned, we have an amazing staff here at our hotel and I'm very proud to work with each of them every day.

In regards to your comments on the carpets in the guest rooms and elevators, I wanted to let you know that we just had an outside company come in and deep clean all guest rooms carpets and all public areas, including the elevators.

I know our complimentary breakfast is extremely popular and as such, it can get very crowded especially during the summer months. During these busy times we will be opening up our meeting room to provide the additional space and seating.

Finally, regarding the pool towels, we are in the process of changing out the towels and will be adding brand new pool towels each month.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had an emergency when my ride to the airport had car trouble. The front desk stepped up to the plate and arranged for me to get to the airport on time. Friendly, helpful, courteous service with a great attitude. Keep it up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
GregM-Schmidt, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you Alan S. for the great comments. I'm so proud of our team here at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo Carmel Mountain Ranch and I'm glad you were able to experience the wonderful service they provide every day.

Hope to see you here again soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stay here every year while visiting family and are constantly impressed by the quality of the facility, the service and the value. Rooms are spacious and the beds are super comfortable. The kitchen is well-equipped. The grounds are great including the pool and sport court. Check in was a breeze and Angelina was so accommodating getting our rooms in convenient locations as we had three generations all traveling together. We were delighted once again with Frank the breakfast attendant's hospitality and the preparation and selection of food. We were treated so well! Since the last time we visited the wifi has been totally upgraded so we had good strong signals in all rooms and were able to work and stream movies just fine. We can't wait to visit again! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to pass on your very kind note to both Angelina and Frank in our next all team meeting.

We are so glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and I'm happy to hear that our enhance WIFI made a difference for you.

Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.