“One of the nicest Residence Inns I've stayed at.”

Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Ranked #4 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Incline Village, Nevada
“One of the nicest Residence Inns I've stayed at.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Rooms recently renovated and were nicely done. Immaculately clean and very friendly front desk staff. We had a great night in our one bedroom suite, and would not hesitate to stay again.

Hotel is located very close to freeway and across the street from a large shopping area. Nice little Italian cafe is located within walking distance for a great dinner option.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnRB, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and comments on your hotel experience. I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable and to your satisfaction. Your comments help motivate not only our Front Desk staff, but our entire hotel staff to continue to provide our guests with the excellent customer service people have come to know and expect from the Residence Inn Brand and Marriott Name. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you visit beautiful San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Let me start by saying TripAdvisor really needs a rating between "Average" and "Very Good" - I would say this stay was good, but not very good. So let me explain.

We spent a few days at this Residence Inn over the Christmas break. We arrived after a long drive with a dog with an upset stomach, and were very well received at the front desk. I must say, the people working the front desk rock - they were unflappable even as my doggie got a bit sick (thankfully on tile floor, which I managed to clean up quickly) and super friendly. Definitely I would say they are a plus to this property.

The rooms, however, are a different story. The first room we got really smelled badly of smoke, even though it was a non-smoking room - not recent smoke, but deeply-ingrained over time smoke, We went back to the front desk and they were again super helpful, and gave us another room.

Our eventual room was fine and clean, though some of the furniture showed signs of wear. However, I must say I find this Residence Inn room layouts and decor dated by now. While I can appreciate the thought of having a living room and a bedroom, here you basically end up with two very chopped up, on the small side rooms that feel cramped (the large traditional furniture, and yellow / rust / wood / green colors do not help at all either), Lights on the bathroom are on the dim side and fixtures are out of date as well. It all felt very 80s and behind the times. I definitely would not want to spend a long amount of time here, as I'd probably find it a bit depressing.

The common areas weren't much of an improvement. The breakfast area is small and was overrun with people, so it was impossible to snag a seat - the breakfast options were fairly basic anyways, plus with all the people around at that time, it had become a bit messy, so I just grabbed a cup of coffee and ran. There is no big area in the lobby for sitting and relaxing, outside of the breakfast area or the pool (which in January is a moot point).

So, I'm torn. The place is staffed with great people. But I think the product they have on their hands to sell lets them down. In the end I guess it will come down to preference. In my case, I think I would wait for a remodel before staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mrtourne
Palm Desert, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed one night over the holidays to visit our family nearby. The hotel is located near the freeway with easy access. The room was very clean with a compact kitchen offering all the usual appliances. A maintenance man went out of his way to show me where I could get ice and the front desk was very courteous. However, I did think a few of the staff could have been more nicely dressed. I do not think jeans & t-shirts set the right tone for such a nice hotel....We will definitely be booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: We followed previous advice and asked for a room upstairs. It's good advice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krbPalmDesert_CA
Huntingtown, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just finished staying off and on for about two months at the Residence Inn in Rancho Bernardo, and have to say that it was very enjoyable and worth while. I am relocating from the east coast to California, and although there is stress with that move and the home relocation, the stay at the Residence Inn and the inviting and pleasant staff made it feel like home.

Right from the beginning, the staff has been helpful, friendly, pleasant and efficient. Kelly and Cally were outstanding with directions, assistance with the room, handling mail, and anything else needed to make the stay more comfortable.

The manager, Casey, was very attentive, and happy to handle calls or conversations to discuss any issues. He is also great at communicating through email with questions. This is outstanding service for someone moving from another state, and trying to find balance in life, to be able to rely on outstanding staff that really show they care about their guests.

The hotel is a typical Residence Inn, with great rooms, and excellent breakfasts and dinners three nights a week. The location is fantastic, with many chain restaurants and independent restaurants to choose from with a short drive or walk. And the shopping nearby is fantastic, with many of the major chains, grocery stores, Trader Joes, etc. all very close. Housekeeping does a great job, and maintenance staff is fantastic. We had a closet door fall off the slider, and the maintenance help fixed it perfectly in minutes.

There is great recreation nearby as well, with plenty of golfing within a short distance, and the beach is 15 minutes away. This is a great location, excellent family stay or long term hotel, but great for short term as well. The staff and management here are fantastic and CARE about their guests.

I have stayed at several other neighboring Residence Inns, and it just isn't the same. This is the place to stay!

Room Tip: You have a lot of choices in North County. Make the choice to stay here with family or with busines...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DeanG697
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

The property layout is a mix of early and current Residence Inns. As with the first generation, there are multiple buildings, and guest room access is through exterior-facing doors. The advantage is that guests can park near their rooms without having to pass through the lobby. The disadvantage is that the decentralized plan may make some feel less secure. Parking lot renovations were underway but there was no impact on my stay.

The room décor reflects the newest in Residence inn interior design – striped carpet and red hues. The one-bedroom suite had a separate living area and kitchen. The layout was quite economical in terms of space. While the two rooms together are much more spacious than a regular guest room, they felt small when the bedroom door was closed. On the plus side, the door provides privacy. There are also two televisions and over 60 channels. The wireless internet was complimentary and fast.

The complimentary breakfast was similar to other Residence Inns – hot breakfast sandwiches, sausage, oatmeal, and cereal. The oatmeal was more water than oatmeal. The common areas – lobby and breakfast area - were also small for the size of the hotel. The fitness center had basic, modern equipment.

In terms of location, there are multiple restaurants and a convenience store within walking distance. I-15 is a 1-2 minute drive. Parking is complimentary – an endangered species in Southern California.

Finally, the two front desk associates were among the most personable I have encountered. In fact, one associate actually inquired about my stay. It’s sad that this basic question is an exception rather than the rule, but I was pleased that she was genuinely interested in my experience.

In summary, this is on par with other Residence Inns. The front desk associates deserve an extra mention for their amiable, engaging service. This is why I will elevate the rating from “average” to “good”.

Pros: Spacious suites, amiable associates, complimentary on-site parking

Cons: Small common areas

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank scl44
Casey G, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your recent stay with us. I was very happy to hear about your interactions with our staff members and how they made the difference in regards to your overall feel for the hotel. These are the comments that keep the staff motivated to continue to provide excellent service. Thank you again for your recent stay and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Casey Grieme
Bakersfield, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel has it all! Location, location, location! A great breakfast, internet, kitchenettes, large suites and excellent house keeping. Evening "socials" are great. The staff is very friendly and courteous anticipating all of my needs. Kudos to the management and staff!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeffry D
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is really a wonderful place to stay in the outer San Diego area. (~20min away). Staff was fantastic and always very helpful. Room exceeded my expectations and was very comfortable with the kitchenette. They have little social gatherings in the great room of the lobby in the early week and even periodically bring Popsicles out to the guests sunbathing at the pool. Breakfast had healthy options and there is a nice shopping plaza nearby. There is even a little minimart to buy frozen entrees and haagen daz icecream products if you are experiencing late night cravings! Great location, great room, wonderful staff. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: I did not experience any problems with noise from the freeway but did talk to another guest that com...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mojoette
RIHughes, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your recent stay with us and the kind feedback. We strive to provide our guest with that "home away from home" feel and of course "drama free."

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Casey Grieme