“Great Local Neighborhood Place”

Ponce's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #385 of 4,722 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Southwestern, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fruitland
“Great Local Neighborhood Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have had Mexican food in many places from Mexico to the Canadian border. The food here is some of the best I have tasted. My wife and I loved the chicken in her chimi and in my enchilada. Very flavorful and moist. My chile relleno was light, large, and stuffed with a huge helping of cheese. And the marguerita!!!
A large water glass of nearly straight tequila. The place is loud and you will have to wait to be seated probably every night of the week. But, once seated, the service is prompt and your food arrives before you have time to order a second beer. Every server that passes you table asks if you need anything. I liked this. Even Ponce, Jr., the owner stopped by and chatted for a few minutes even though he was very busy. Portions are huge. You won't leave hungry or dissatisfied. We are in San Diego for a week and plan to go back at least once more.

• Visited January 2012

Estes Park, Colorado
“a favorite for over 30 years....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Coming from San Diego, I ate at Ponce's pretty much all of my adult life. Even when I lived in Ocean Beach, we'd drive all the way to Ponce's for dinner. Their guacamole enchiladas are always on my plate, as well as one other item. Margaritas are great, service is always good. It's very inexpensive for the amount you get. I don't live in SD anymore, but one thing guaranteed, I will always make a lunch or dinner date to Ponce's, at least once!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Heatherbrownstone
Redondo Beach, California
“Awesome Mexican Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This place has THE BEST Mexican food! Family owned and the staff is so friendly and totally remembers you if you are a regular! I used to live right around the corner and literally went there about 6 times a week! I LOVE the fresh guacamole, the burritos are amazing, and the taco is so yummy! The shredded chicken is amazing! :-)
Now I live close to Los Angeles and we STILL drive to San Diego just to get our Ponce's fix!!!!! Great place to meet friends, grab food, get take out to take home and freeze for later - a little loud inside, so not great for a date where you want to talk a lot - but FUN and casual and great prices!

• Visited August 2011
San Diego, California
“best sit down mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

this place is so great! amazing margaritas and combination plates!! worth the wait if there is one!!! great for lunch or dinner!!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank lilsnipper102
san diego
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Mexican Food in San Diego!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

Have been coming here for over 20 years...........by far the best mexican food i've ever had in all of san diego..........and the margaritas rock!.........especially if claire makes 'em...........go here folks, its worth it...................

1 Thank mrdano1