“Best Experience on a Boat”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Mary C
Del Mar
“Best Experience on a Boat”
Reviewed May 23, 2017 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

We LOVE this boat and have taken it out several times. I'm surprised by the people who said they were crowded with 6 people? WHAAAAT?

We hosted a party on the boat and had about 10 people as we cruised around the bay. It was plenty of room to sit and walk around. Shaun set us up with one of the captains and he was a delight. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed it.

Breakfast was yogurt and fruit and coffee. I mean, are you expecting eggs benedict?
There are so many great local restaurants close by, I would explore that option. I sure don't want to cook!

We are looking to rent this again in the fall. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

FLorence, Montana
Reviewed April 4, 2016 for a stay in March 2016

Hanseat09
Bremen, Germany
“Best holiday appartment ever”
Reviewed April 4, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
person found this review helpful

During our week in California we wanted to spend the last four days in San Diego. As we love the sea, we wanted to be close to the water. But over the Easter weekend most of the possible flats were already taken or simply too expensive. By chance I found Boat B&B and thought what a wonderful idea to spent the time on a boat inside a marina.

So we hired on short notice the "Czech Mate". You can read the description here on this website as well as you can see all the pics. So I do not need to repeat it all. Fact is, that we so much enjoyed our time on this boat, spending most of it up on the fly bridge, watching the world going by. Our son (9yrs) loved it also and always said, this was the best holiday place ever.

Due to its location on Shelter Island you are all around San Diego in no time. The airport is less than 10 mins by car, downtown 15mins. In the evenings we always walked to the numerous restaurants around, so no car was needed. It was safely parked on the (free) car park 100 meters away.

I was a little nervous mainly regarding our son missing a swimming pool, but there was absolutely no need for it. We hired a kayak from the team and spend much time looking around the area. The sea lions are so relaxed and we came on arm length close to them.

So concluding, it was worth every minute we spend there. The boat is very comfortable - but a boat is a boat and not a top-notch holiday villa. But everything we needed was there (especially the internet access was important to us, we never used the TV or stereo). Shower and toilets worked well and we didn't need to use the facilities of the marina.

I booked directly with Shaun from boatbnb.com and even though it was just a week before the trip and I was still in Germany, payment and paperwork went smoothly. Shaun and team were very helpful, we got a very intense tour of the boat and everything was well explained.

I will continue to look for holiday-boats at other places and would certainly book again once back to San Diego!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Family with Young Children
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Don M
Redlands, California
“Beautiful stay on the Czech Mate”
Reviewed July 29, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

We loved our three nights aboard the Czech Mate! The boat is well appointed with a large main stateroom with an en suite head that even has a tub; small guest cabin that would be perfect for a couple of young kids; guest head; DirectTV and DVD players in the salon and main stateroom connected to a stereo system that also includes a yacht-wide speaker system. The galley has all the essentials and Shaun had it well stocked with fruit, yogurts, juice, coffees, and seasonings for cooking. I'm 6'3" and this boat left me plenty headroom in the salon, stateroom and both heads. This boat even has nice showers so you don't have to walk up to the marina restrooms unless you need more room or water pressure. There is a great little gas grill on the stern rail that we used for a couple of ribeyes and asparagus. If you want to grill for more than two, there's a bbq area a short walk from the boat in the marina. We spent much of our time up on the fly bridge which always had a great mix of sunny and shady spots--eight people could easily enjoy a happy hour up there. If you are a sun worshiper, there's a great padded spot on the bow with room for two. The Czech Mate (and all of Shaun's fleet--we looked at them all) was immaculately well maintained. Our only complaint was the very heavy door with a fussy latch. My wife (no weakling) generally couldn't open it without help.

The marina includes a laundry, restrooms with showers, and a small gym. The men's room could use a bit of a rework. There are only two toilet stalls and one of them is part of an ADA toilet and shower area.

The marina is a short walk from about a dozen great restaurants, live music at Humphrey's, and fishing from the pier (be sure to stop at Fathom for a craft beer). I LOVE Shelter Island!

I can't wait to come back and try another one of Shaun's beautiful yachts.

Barbara S
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“disappointed!”
Reviewed June 4, 2015 for a stay in May 2015
people found this review helpful

This trip was so disappointing!! We were celebrating my niece's graduation with family&
& everyone was not happy with this. It was extremely crowded with six. We couldn't move aroun, sit or enjoy being together!! We traveled from three different states to get here with plane delays overnight but managed to get here less than two hours late. You get a two hour window to check in so if you are delayed you pay!! We called ahead informing them of the delay & we were told someone would be there when we arrived. We drove like crazy to get there when we said only to wait about 45 min. We were tired from traveling two days in two hrs sleep to sit in the rain & wait!! My sister was staying with others & came to see our place but soon left it was so crowded! Very unpleasant experience for such a great occasion. There was not a lot of help. Breakfast consists of yogurt & fruit!! Don't waste your money here when there are a lit of nice comfortable places closer to beach!!

Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Jun 5, 2015
It's unfortunate when we have a guest who writes such a "disapointing" review of a great property that most guests find "Excellent". Czech Mate is a boat and boats are smaller in size, not large and roomy like a big house. Our boats are available for a "Unique" stay, for a unique guest! We unfortunately are not a big hotel and have staff on site from 7am - 5pm 7 days a week. Our Rental Rules disclose that after 5pm is a late check-in and we have to have a staff member come back on site for any guest who arrives after hours. As for breakfast, we also disclose it is continental style - fruit, juice, yogurt, coffee, tea and oatmeal.
Brian R
Palm Springs, California
“Loved It”
Reviewed April 24, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

We had an absolutely great time!!! Shaun was wonderful and accommodating and even checked us in early since I had a business appointment on Friday. The vessel exceeded our expectations and everything was in great working order and spotlessly clean. There was ice, full coffee service on board and even some yogurt and a fruit basket. Can't wait to go back and do it again!!!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Boat was immaculate.
Liked least: Nothing
Friends getaway Families with young children
AdamC157
San Diego, California
“You Have Got to Czech This Out!”
Reviewed February 25, 2015 for a stay in February 2015
people found this review helpful

Let's say this was a fantastic and unique experience to say the least. I have been around boats for most of my life and this was a great excuse to spend the night on a fantastic yacht in a beautiful location. I rented CzechMate for Valentines day and was able to spend the weekend with my girlfriend as well as one night with my 7 year old daughter. What a great decision! The boat was well put together and a very romantic and special get away for my girlfriend and I. My daughter loved the boat and exploring the various decks - but the jewel was my daughter watching the fish off the stern of the boat via the underwater lights - how fun for her!

The accommodations were far better than a hotel room since the boat is essentially a floating condo and offers more than a regular boring room. We were happy to take a stroll in the afternoon down the island and had a few cocktails at a nearby bar. We also had a very nice dinner at the Bali Hi which is right next door and enjoyed the discount the B&B provides for certain establishments as well.

Overall I would highly recommend this as a fun and unique alternative to a regular hotel stay. I have told many friends about this experience and expect a few referral visitors! I hope to go back soon and check out some of the other boats they have to offer and see some variety!

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing